Author Topic: Research help at Kew Gardens PRO  (Read 8038 times)

Offline LeonardRileyIII

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Research help at Kew Gardens PRO
« on: Friday 14 November 14 23:05 GMT (UK) »
A friend in Dublin recently found information on James Porter who was Schoolmaster with the
56th Regiment (Foot) who served most of his time in India. He was separated from service
4 NOV 1884 with 20 years 290 days of service of which 10 were in India. He was released
because his services were no longer needed. Have copies of news articles about his attempts to
receive pension.
   Seeking someone who lives near Kew who would be willing to exchange research time with Maria
who lives in Dublin and can search information there. Trying to determine if this James Porter might be father of James Henry Porter born 1841/43 in Corbally, Antrim, Ireland.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Research help at Kew Gardens PRO
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 November 14 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Looking at the dates you give - he would have been signing up when James Henry Porter was around 20yrs old

If he was the father of a son born around 1841 - he himself would have been born around 1820 

Looking at his service period - he appears to have signed on roughly late 1863 so would have been around 42 at that time.  Would that have been feasible?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline LeonardRileyIII

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 November 14 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Dear Carole,  At this moment I have no age information on the individual referenced in the three articles. The first article is a register of Schoolmasters which lists as follows: 56th Regiment (sic foot soldiers) rank
:Sch" James H. Porter who was discharged 16 APR 1880 following 20 years + 290 days of service. (joined roughly 1859) Registry No. 70497-57. Remarks undecipherable. According to a newspaper article in the Dublin Freeman Journal dated 4 NOV 1884, James Henry Porter, late Army Schoolmaster, was seeking a pension from the Army which was denied him for unfavorable drinking. If you can provide an e-mail address I can forward these documents to you.
    I do have the induction papers of James Henry Porter born 12 FEB 1841 (his sister-in-law wrote in an 1871 diary that J.H. Porter was 28 on 12 FEB 1871), His papers, found in KEW PRO state that he was
born in Corbally, Parish of Killead, Co. Antrim. No parish records have been found to confirm this birth. According to this James's marriage record dated 14 APR 1869 in Wexford, Ireland James's father was also named James and was listed as "Gent". I have found a James Porter age 19 stationed in Tunbridge, Kent on the 1861 census who was born in Ireland. His rank was "Sey". He was stationed at North Barracks Walmer.  On his 14 APR 1869 marriage license his residence was Tunbridge Wells.
    I am hoping that KEW PRO might have some information on the date and place of birth of the James Henry Porter, School master. I agree with you logic, he might have been born around 1820. Since I can
find no record of him in Antrim I am inclined to believe he might have been transient, i.e. stationed there, rather than having been born there. There are many Porters in Antrim but none match James Henry.
   I have considerable documentation on James born 1841/43. Now seeking information on his father James and identification of his mother. Maria O'Brien who lives in Dublin has offered to do local research
for person who lives near KEW.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 November 14 13:38 GMT (UK) »
I am not clear what it is that you want looking up at TNA Kew (Not Kew Gardens that is something else  ;) )

You say 'Trying to determine if this James Porter might be father of James Henry Porter born 1841/43 in Corbally, Antrim, Ireland'

Is this the same person
I do have the induction papers of James Henry Porter born 12 FEB 1841 (his sister-in-law wrote in an 1871 diary that J.H. Porter was 28 on 12 FEB 1871), His papers, found in KEW PRO state that he was born in Corbally, Parish of Killead, Co. Antrim

There is a mention of a James Porter with the same birthdate and place of birth on the Civil Service evidence of age indexes but I have no idea what these records would tell you if you obtained a copy
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01e6s/

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 November 14 14:07 GMT (UK) »
I have found a James Porter age 19 stationed in Tunbridge, Kent on the 1861 census who was born in Ireland. His rank was "Sey". He was stationed at North Barracks Walmer.  On his 14 APR 1869 marriage license his residence was Tunbridge Wells.

The 1861 census for North Barracks, Walmer his occupation is an abbreviation for Sergeant (in the Army).  Tunbridge Wells is just under 50 miles from Walmer .

A mention of the North Barracks  :)
http://www.walmerweb.co.uk/history/history-marines.html

Offline LeonardRileyIII

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 November 14 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Good morning,  Sorry about the mis identification of KEW Gardens. My daughter Wendy and I have been there several times and mistakenly assumed it was called KEW Gardens.
   What I am trying to determine is if the James Henry Porter, school master who served in the Army from approximately 1859 until 16 APR 1880 could be the father of James Henry Porter, Revenue Officer, who was born 12 FEB 1841/43 in Corbally, County Antrim, Ireland. The pay records at KEW might at least give
his dates and place of service. News article said he served about 10 years in India. Could records at KEW tell if he was ever stationed/lived in Kent County England or Antrim, Ireland?
    It is most unfortunate that the name James Porter is extremely common. When searching for the death
record for James Henry Porter, Revenue Officer, we found 65 James Porters who died during the period that our James could have died. His time and place of death remained a mystery for over 20 years until we finally found an obituary notice in a Wexford Newspaper of his son. Article said he was the youngest
son of the late James Porter of Portland, Oregon, USA.
   Wendy and I have been to the NIPRO numerous time, checked census records, parish records and land records for County Antrim and even visited the church for the Parish of Killead. Found numerous Porter families but none seem to match which makes me believe the father of James Henry Porter, Revenue Officer, might not have lived in Corbally for a long period of time. perhaps assigned there as a teacher?
   Thank you for verifying that "Ser" was an abbreviation for Sergeant. Age 19 seems pretty young to have been a Sergeant, at least in our U.S. Military. Is it likely that James could have been in the Army in Kent and then inducted into the Inland Revenue in County Antrim 15 NOV 1865? He was instructed in procedures for surveying maltsters, distillers, brewers, tobacco manufacturers, spirit retailers, tobacco dealers and mills and kilns. I did find a James Porter on the English 1851 census who had a son James born about 1842. The father was a Gardener. The whole family was born in Tonbridge, Kent. The son was 5 so would have only been 15 on the 1861 census. Also found a James Porter age 38, living in Southwick with his wife Elizabeth and son James age 9. Father might have been a tobacconist? Whole family was born in Southwick. So many options to chose from!!! I will check your site for Walmer. Thank you. Bill

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 November 14 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The train station is called Kew Gardens that is probably what confuses people. The gardens are in the opposite direction to TNA but about the same distance from the station.  :)

I would agree with you that 19 is young for a Sergeant maybe it stands for something else  :-\

The information you have about James Henry appears on Chelsea Pensioners discharge list but I can't see any pension information online.  It looks as though the comment in behaviour column could be 'indifferent'  Do the newspaper articles you have give any indication as to why he was fighting for a pension.

Offline LeonardRileyIII

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 November 14 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Yes,  the newspaper article did indicate that he was denied a pension because of unfavorable conduct caused by drinking during a latter part of his career. Indicates he was confined, without a trial. The decision was there was not enough evidence to reverse the decision and thus grant him a pension. I can
forward the article to you if you can give me an e-mail address or tell me how to attach it to this site.
  If Ser was not an abbreviation for Sergeant, do you have any idea  what it could stand for? Bill

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 November 14 16:46 GMT (UK) »
As the census description is followed by Corpl and Private on the people who were listed after him I can't think of anything else it would be.

I can't see any more information for them online.