Author Topic: Merritt's Suffolk Massachusetts  (Read 9120 times)

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Merritt's Suffolk Massachusetts
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 16 November 14 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, I've not come up with anything yet.  While I've spent most of my time looking around for information about George and "Wil*ina", I haven't looked around for additional clues about their children.

Possibilities:
1.  Could Wil*ina have moved back to either Canada or Massachusetts after the passing of her husband?  (I've not yet found any records indicating she did return)
2.  Could she have remarried?  (I've not found any records)
3.  Apparently a George "Merrit" Sr. designed the Brentwood Golf Course.  I wonder if the staff might know anything about the Merritt family (if they have archives)?
4.  The Merritts seemed to have had interesting occupations.  Perhaps the Los Angeles Library's "Ask A Librarian" staff might be able to try a brief search for Wil*ina's passing?  A lot of institutions in California have had budget cuts and some staffs can no longer offer assistance as they did in the past, but it might be worthwhile to ask if there is a way to do a quick search for her passing?  ???
Link to Ask A Librarian
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01e7d/

I'll resume looking later today.  Sorry I haven't been of help, but thank you for letting me know about the thread, Sandra.   :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline bmerritt11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 22:10 BST (UK) »
Wilhelmina was my grandmother and she died in Santa Monica, CA shortly after my parents were married. I believe this to have been around 1935.

Offline nic42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 10:27 BST (UK) »
Hi to BMerritt,
Williamina was my great grandfathers sister. I have been trying to find where she went for years so it is really great to finally find a relative. I have the UK tree for both the Ross and Merritt families and now with a big thanks to Sandra and Lisa I have some of the U.S. Side
Nic Johnson

Offline bmerritt11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Nic, I have a picture/portrait of the family taken around 1912 if you're interested. Also, here's something I'm curious about, her brother was a Coldstream Guard named Sandy Ross. He was known to be one King George V's bodyguards and was in charge of sneaking the King into various pubs during the night. When the King died in 1936 my grandmother was on her death bed and my parents brought her a picture from the cover of Life magazine featuring the King's funeral. Although she hadn't seen her brother in years she immediately recognized him standing guard over the Casket. I've tried to find in the past and may try again since all the historical seem to be getting posted on the Internet.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 16:44 BST (UK) »
Mina Merritt, widow of Geo., is in the 1933 Santa Monica city directory, but not in the 1936 one.

Offline bmerritt11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 16:50 BST (UK) »
She died early in 1936, some time after January and before the birth of my oldest sister, which was in May. All of her children were living in the Los Angeles area at the time of her death. This was also at the height of the depression, so some recordings may not have been made.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 17:00 BST (UK) »
I've never heard of the Depression impacting record-keeping.

I suspect this is her entry on the death index with a date of death of 23 May 1936 - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKS9-CCK3  If you look at the image of the death index, it lists her spouse's initials as GS, which fits George S.

Offline bmerritt11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 17:43 BST (UK) »
I'm sure you've found it and that date would have her passing a few weeks after my sister was born. She was being cared for by a charitable group at the time, Salvation Army I believe, and I have no idea how accurately they handled records of people who died in their care.

Offline nic42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 10 July 15 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hi BMerritt,
yes i would like a family picture. I am going to try and attach a picture of Williamina's brother Alexander. He is in his uniform as part of the Yeomen of the Guard
Nic