Author Topic: Cardiff Business & Trade Directories - 1930's onwards  (Read 1994 times)

Offline robdavies66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Now living in Fareham, Hampshire
    • View Profile
Cardiff Business & Trade Directories - 1930's onwards
« on: Saturday 15 November 14 21:42 GMT (UK) »
I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out with a brick wall I'm encountering

My 'half uncle' George DAVIES was born on 19 Dec 1900 in Birmingham, the first child of my paternal grandfather, George DAVIES (born on 1 Mar 1875 in Pentyrch) and his first wife, Mary Ann, nee GOODBY. Sometime after the birth of their second child, Lillian (1903 Birmingham - 1922 Cardiff), George & Mary Ann moved with their two children (back in George Snr's case?) to Cardiff where Mary Ann died on 2 Jun 1905 in Edward Street.

George Snr then married my grandmother Gladys May SOBEY on 14 Sep 1908 at Pontlottyn and they had four sons, my father being the third.

George Jnr was the Informant on the Death Certificate for George Snr who died on 6 Jan 1928 in Windsor Street (where my father was born).

Note:- Until the 1911 Wales Census became available, I had absolutely no idea where & when George Jnr was born -- before then I thought it was about 1908 in Cardiff! But with the 1911 Census details (George Snr, his second wife, his two children from his first marriage & the second son from his second marriage -- the first died very young -- living in Cowbridge Road), I first found George Jnr's 1901 (England) Census record -- with his parents -- and subsequently obtained his birth certificate.

Thanks to some info from my eldest cousin (daughter of the second son from George Snr's second marriage, ten years older than me, born & still living in Cardiff), who said that George Jnr was a Barber in Cardiff Docks who married late in life. I eventually (after five failures) managed to obtain his marriage certificate. This shows him as a Bachelor aged 33, a Hairdresser living at 38 Neville Street with the bride as Doris Evelyn RICHARDS, a Spinster aged 32, living at 88 Neville Street -- the same address as she's shown at on the 1911 Wales Census.

My cousin says that she can remember our 'half uncle' visiting her family until she was about 4 or 5 when he just 'disappeared' (so about the late 1930's).

I can find no emigration/immigration records for George Jnr or his wife Doris Evelyn and it doesn't look as though they had any children. All my efforts to identify their death records have failed -- ten for George & two for Doris. So, I'm wondering if George appeared in any 1930s onwards Business/Trade Directories for Cardiff as a Barber or Hairdresser.

Unfortunately, all the people who could have provided information are now dead -- my father died in 1976, his brother in 1979 & his brother's wife in 2004 -- before I started researching my Family Tree!

(The fourth son from George Snr's second marriage died in WWII)

If anyone is able to provide any information whatsoever, it will be greatly appreciated
Thanks & regards, Rob DAVIES (now 70) & living in Fareham, Hampshire, England
Hughes & Griffth(s) of Nantmor, Beddgelert
Williams of Bontnewydd
Edwards & Thomas of Harlech/ Llandanwg
Jones of Llanystumdwy
 ==============
Davies/David of Pentrych/ Cardiff , Glamorgan
David of Peterstone super Ely, Glamorgan
Morgan of Eglwysilan, Glamorgan
Miles of Peterstone super Ely