Author Topic: Searching for Mary Dunphy 1901  (Read 7036 times)

Offline RBC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Searching for Mary Dunphy 1901
« on: Sunday 16 November 14 16:55 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for information about Mary/Molly Dunphy. Mary/Molly's birth name is recorded as Mary, her marriage name is recorded as Molly.

Mary was born in Kildare on the 26.1.1901, in a Workhouse. The birth registration gives the Event place and Registration district as Naas. I can't find any mention of Mary Dunphy on the 1901 or 1911 Census records.

Mary's parents were William Dunphy and Lizzie/Eliza McCormack.
Is it likely that there are any Workhouse records of Mary's birth and the time she spent a there?

There are Census records for an Eliza Dunphy 1901 House 8 and Eliza McCormack 1911 House 5, the daughter of John and Ann/Anne McCormick/McCormack. The 1911 Census shows a Mary McCormack age 11yrs listed as a daughter, could she be Mary Dunphy?

All these alternative names make searching for the correct records extremely difficult.

Any help with the Irish records would be very much appreciated.

RBC.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Mary Dunphy 1901
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 November 14 17:42 GMT (UK) »
The 1911 Census House 5 Blackditch (Nurney) Kildare has John McCormack 70 Head, Wife Ann 70, Elizabeth Daughter 30 & Mary 11 listed as daughter (should have been grandaughter to Head John)
Maybe Elizabeth choose to have Mary go by her own maiden name & perhaps even though Dunphy was registered on Marys birth Elizabeth may not have been married.  Have you searched for a marriage for Elizabeth to Dunphy? :)

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 November 14 17:54 GMT (UK) »
1901 census ireland William Dunphy age 20 Born Kildare Servant House 2 Collegeland Maynooth Kildare. Single
1911 Census William Dunphy age 28 House 95.3 St Stephens Green (Fitzwilliam Dublin)
Single Occ Hall Porter/domestic. Born Co Kildare.
www.nationalarchives.ie

Offline RBC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 November 14 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you balladw for you interest. I have searched for the marriage record for Mary's parents without success. I agree with you they were probably unmarried. In 1901 Eliza said she was married. In 1911 she said she had been married for 6 years with no children.

I thought if there were any Workhouse records we may find some information about her parents. For the time being I have accepted the 1901 and 1911 Census records for William Dunphy. It has been said that Mary was orphaned when she very young.

This is a long story. Mary's daughter was born out of wedlock during her mother's first marriage and  would really like to know something about her family history.

RBC

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 November 14 21:31 GMT (UK) »
There is a death registered for a Elizabeth McCormack in September 1916 Age 35.
Registration District Athy( Co Kildare ) Volume 3 Page 200
You can obtain a photo copy of this death by giving the above info  from www.groireland.ie it may give you some further information i.e place of death - who reported death etc. Mary would have been about 16 at this time :)

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 November 14 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Could be marriage record for John McCormack (father of Elizabeth) 28th August 1866 to Anne Kelly. Reg District Athy. Vol 13 P 328.(Johns father is William) :)
Some births to this couple: William 25th May 1867- John 31 Jan 1872, Maria 29th May 1874, Martin 29th June 1879

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 November 14 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Long shot   dont know if workhouse would record childs age in month's
Number  171 this list
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000896928/

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 November 14 13:35 GMT (UK) »
This may be of interest.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Naas/ It seems records are held in Kildare Co Library

annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline RBC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much balladw. It could very well be the marriage record we are looking for. It will be top of the list of possible marriages at present, we have one other.

RBC.