Author Topic: Queen Street Roll of Honour  (Read 4649 times)

Offline hiraethu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mary (Johnston) Alexander (Oct 1845 - Oct 1934)
    • View Profile
Queen Street Roll of Honour
« on: Sunday 16 November 14 21:44 GMT (UK) »
After searching through some Manx newspaper archives, I found reference to a Roll of Honour for those of Queen Street, Castletown, who served in WWI.

Two of my possible ancestors are on that list (Samuel and Arthur Mylchreest), and while I can find a very small photo of the Roll, I can't find a full transcription of the inscription or a larger readable photo anywhere. I could just be missing the obvious, but could anyone help? Is it still around?

According to imuseum.im: "The roll of honour was originally located on a wall adjacent to the entrance to Castle Rushen. It was erected in December 1916 when the war was still ongoing. At a later date it was moved to the Royal British Legion Hall, Janet's Corner, Castletown, where it is currently on display. It contains one column for Navy servicemen and six columns for the Army. There are a further six columns listed at the base of the roll, with the words "Supreme Sacrifice". Not all names are listed alphabetically, as some names were added at a later date. At the time of unveiling it contained the names of 316 men who were serving and 18 of those who had fallen. Paper mounted in wooden frame. The roll of honour was designed by Mr J.E. Teare, architect, Athol Street, Douglas, who also penned the decoration and the list of names. The wooden frame was constructed by Messrs James Cooper and Sons, Castletown. Information provided by the Isle of Man Government Preservation of War Memorials Committee."

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I promise to stop pestering you poor people on this subforum soon enough! For a short while, anyway  ;D
Wales - Moses, Morgan, James, Williams, Thomas, Miles, Davies [South]
Isle of Man - Mylchreest, Kneale, Clague, Callister, Cowin, Oates, Kelly, Gelling, Cubbon, Comish, Gell, Harrison, Costain [South]
Scotland - Alexander, Johnston, Scotland, Muirhead, Dow, Forrest [Central]
Ireland - Alexander, Morrison, Gallaugher, McCrabb, Smyth [Ulster]
Canada - Alexander, Mylchreest [Manitoba, BC]
USA - Alexander [North/Northeast]

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Queen Street Roll of Honour
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 November 14 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline hiraethu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 November 14 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Ah, yes, sorry! That's me too. I figured that topic was more appropriate for the WWI subforum, while this request might be better served over here.

I can delete this one though if it doesn't belong here!

I think this is a sign I need to leave the internet alone for tonight. My poor brain.
Isle of Man - Mylchreest, Kneale, Clague, Callister, Cowin, Oates, Kelly, Gelling, Cubbon, Comish, Gell, Harrison, Costain [South]

Online Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 November 14 22:40 GMT (UK) »
re WW1 RoHs suggest send query to manx Museum - if it isn't on www.imuseum.im - library@mnh.gov.im
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline hiraethu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 November 14 22:50 GMT (UK) »
I will certainly do that!

Many thanks!