Author Topic: Worthen Parish Records  (Read 2723 times)

Offline lengramar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Worthen Parish Records
« on: Monday 17 November 14 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi - can anyone help me with the following: -

I am trying to research a branch of the "Bevan" family tree and so far records have got me to the parish of Worthen where I can see online that a Mary Bevan gave birth to 2 children Richard in 1808 and John in 1811. The records suggest that John is the son of a Richard Higginson, however I am unable to find a marriage between Richard Higginson and Mary Bevan nor a baptism for Mary other than a Mary Bevan in 1743 which I thought was too early to be the same person.

I have looked through the online parish records held by FamilySearch.org, Ancestry.com and meloki.org but unable to progress this any further. I am greatfull for any help that can be provided.

Regards

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
Re: Worthen Parish Records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 November 14 12:16 GMT (UK) »
The Shropshire baptisms have the baptism for Richard in 1808 where he is listed as "natural son of" Mary Bevan, no father listed.
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline lengramar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 November 14 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I see that he has no father listed, I am looking for a baptism for Mary Bevan so that I can continue the research.

Regards

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 December 14 02:21 GMT (UK) »
If you have a subscription, most Shropshire baptisms are available on FindMyPast. If not, the site can be accessed through some libraries and archives.

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 16:18 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if this is the same Richard Higginson ?
I cannot see where this took place, but if it was near Worthen, it could have good information.

http://search.shropshirehistory.org.uk/collections/search/?q=Richard+Higginson+bastard&cb_submit=Search

Bastardy order: Jane Dorricott and a male bastard child, father Richard Higginson XP220/L/10/71
Jun 1822
Shropshire Archives
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carnal,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre, Chettoe,Cooper,Erpe,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam,Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds, Roberts,Rogers,Salter,Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont.  Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley  Prichard
Battersea  Young
Brechin  Allan,Barrie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Watt
Chelsea  Coates,Smith
Cheshire  Penlington
Emneth  Bennington
Wisbech  Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Do you have the 1841 Census for Mary Bevan ?  This will give her age, and place of birth.
Did she marry ?
Where was Mary buried ? This will give age of death, and possibly more details.

Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carnal,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre, Chettoe,Cooper,Erpe,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam,Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds, Roberts,Rogers,Salter,Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont.  Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley  Prichard
Battersea  Young
Brechin  Allan,Barrie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Watt
Chelsea  Coates,Smith
Cheshire  Penlington
Emneth  Bennington
Wisbech  Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline Zen rabbit

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 December 14 10:10 GMT (UK) »
The 1811 entry reads John natural s of Mary Bevan by Richard Higginson. The Worthen records I have only go up to 1812 so I don't know if they married after that date. It may be worth checking the nearby parishes such as Pontesbury and Ministerly. People moved around these quite a bit. Also if Richard was a miner then the family could have moved elsewhere in the country as mines closed. Higginson has also been written as Higinson and Higisson
Stanton of Stafford
Bourne of Stoke-on-Trent
Smith of Stoke-on-Trent
Philpott of Pontesbury
Pugh of Worthen & Pontesbury

Offline Cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 14:38 GMT (UK) »
I think it's most likely that Mary didn't marry Richard Higginson.  He is named so that he has to provide for the child.  I searched for a marriage on FindMyPast and there are 12 entries for Richard Higginson but none that match.

I also looked at the parish record for Richard Bevan born in Worthen on 2 December 1808.   Mary's parish is given as "Meadowtown", which is a place south of Worthen.

Unfortunately I cannot find a specific birth record for Mary searching for "Meadow town".

If you would like to send me a PM with your email, I will send you a copy of the actual parish record.

Cheers
Caroline
PLEASE NOTE THE FRAMES THAT I USE ARE MY OWN INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY AND STYLE.  I WOULD APPRECIATE IF PEOPLE WOULD REFRAIN FROM IMITATING THEM AND/OR BORROWING THEM WITHOUT MY PERMISSION.  THANK YOU!

NO MAN WAS EVER GREAT BY IMITATION - SAMUEL JOHNSON

Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset;

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
<]

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 31 January 15 23:26 GMT (UK) »
 Sometimes places appear in Ford/Forden which previously had been in Worthen. It is just worth a try .Viktoria.