Author Topic: Worthen Parish Records  (Read 3358 times)

Offline lengramar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Worthen Parish Records
« on: Monday 17 November 14 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi - can anyone help me with the following: -

I am trying to research a branch of the "Bevan" family tree and so far records have got me to the parish of Worthen where I can see online that a Mary Bevan gave birth to 2 children Richard in 1808 and John in 1811. The records suggest that John is the son of a Richard Higginson, however I am unable to find a marriage between Richard Higginson and Mary Bevan nor a baptism for Mary other than a Mary Bevan in 1743 which I thought was too early to be the same person.

I have looked through the online parish records held by FamilySearch.org, Ancestry.com and meloki.org but unable to progress this any further. I am greatfull for any help that can be provided.

Regards

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
Re: Worthen Parish Records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 November 14 12:16 GMT (UK) »
The Shropshire baptisms have the baptism for Richard in 1808 where he is listed as "natural son of" Mary Bevan, no father listed.
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline lengramar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 November 14 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I see that he has no father listed, I am looking for a baptism for Mary Bevan so that I can continue the research.

Regards

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 December 14 02:21 GMT (UK) »
If you have a subscription, most Shropshire baptisms are available on FindMyPast. If not, the site can be accessed through some libraries and archives.

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 16:18 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if this is the same Richard Higginson ?
I cannot see where this took place, but if it was near Worthen, it could have good information.

http://search.shropshirehistory.org.uk/collections/search/?q=Richard+Higginson+bastard&cb_submit=Search

Bastardy order: Jane Dorricott and a male bastard child, father Richard Higginson XP220/L/10/71
Jun 1822
Shropshire Archives
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Do you have the 1841 Census for Mary Bevan ?  This will give her age, and place of birth.
Did she marry ?
Where was Mary buried ? This will give age of death, and possibly more details.

Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline Zen rabbit

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 December 14 10:10 GMT (UK) »
The 1811 entry reads John natural s of Mary Bevan by Richard Higginson. The Worthen records I have only go up to 1812 so I don't know if they married after that date. It may be worth checking the nearby parishes such as Pontesbury and Ministerly. People moved around these quite a bit. Also if Richard was a miner then the family could have moved elsewhere in the country as mines closed. Higginson has also been written as Higinson and Higisson
Stanton of Stafford
Bourne of Stoke-on-Trent
Smith of Stoke-on-Trent
Philpott of Pontesbury
Pugh of Worthen & Pontesbury

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 14:38 GMT (UK) »
I think it's most likely that Mary didn't marry Richard Higginson.  He is named so that he has to provide for the child.  I searched for a marriage on FindMyPast and there are 12 entries for Richard Higginson but none that match.

I also looked at the parish record for Richard Bevan born in Worthen on 2 December 1808.   Mary's parish is given as "Meadowtown", which is a place south of Worthen.

Unfortunately I cannot find a specific birth record for Mary searching for "Meadow town".

If you would like to send me a PM with your email, I will send you a copy of the actual parish record.

Cheers
Caroline
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 31 January 15 23:26 GMT (UK) »
 Sometimes places appear in Ford/Forden which previously had been in Worthen. It is just worth a try .Viktoria.