Author Topic: Help Needed to Locate Death of James Greenlees  (Read 65033 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help Needed to Locate Death of James Greenlees
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Eliza  ... did any of the GREENLEES children, marry as "minors" (under the age of 21) ?
Were any of the marriages after say, 1900 ?

The Intention to Marry notice (ITM) would record the name of the person who gave consent for a minor (usually a parent).

~  Lu

Offline Elizajb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 22:15 GMT (UK) »
OK, so not much can be gleaned from the marriage.

However, have been sitting here (should not be, as jobs call) turning myself inside out thinking of ways to dig up something and have been checking up on the other children and their marriages, where they seem to have them. I think I have found a clue, maybe.

The only marriage I could not pin down was that of David Greenlees who appeared to have a wife named Emily Caroline from 1919 onwards. No record of this marriage exists on the NZ index and they could just be living together, but a search of marriages (anywhere) of a David Greenlees to an Emily Caroline 'anyone' came up with a 1911 marriage in Victoria between Carol Emily Trewin and David Greenlees.

Close but not close enough, so I searched for anything on 'Emily Caroline Trewin' and found that on a couple of public trees she is recorded as having married David Greenlees in Victoria and the trees record her name as 'Emily Caroline Trewin' not Carol Emily Trewin.

The trees have very little info but one very useful piece. David (wrong birth date and no parents) is recorded as having been born in Wanganui, New Zealand. The trees do not record that David and Emily returned to New Zealand, or their deaths etc, so almost no info but the Wanganui info makes it seem very very likely that this is the David I want and that there is therefore a possibility that his father might have gone to Australia.

I will have a look at the possibility of the 'minor' marriages (your message has just appeared) this afternoon, have to head out soon for a bit. Where does one find the Intention to Marry records?
That's another good thought.

Regards Eliza.
BLANCH London, Kent, Cumberland, Sunderland WALTON Cumberland, WILSON Cumberland, New Zealand, GRAHAM Cumbria/USA,  DUNN Woolwich Kent, BLAKE Northumberland HENDERSON Renfrewshire PATERSON Argyllshire HALLAM Surrey BYRNE Dublin, BURNS Glasgow, DENSTON/BARBER Staff., WADMAN Somerset, DALE Middlesex, AIMERS Selkirkshire, BORTHWICK Berwickshire

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eliza ... Intention to Marry notices (c.k.a. "ITM's") are housed at Archives NZ's Wellington office.
Often RootsChatters are visiting there and can do look-ups of the records.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 23:01 GMT (UK) »
NZ Electoral :

1919 - Taranaki _ Patea
GREENLEES - David - slaughterman
GREENLEES - Emily* - married   ... both at Norfolk Street, Patea.

[* Emily is indexed as "Emily Caroline" in later e/rolls. ]

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eliza

Some of the BD and M indexes (epecially for Australia) often show people's names, as well as place names/registration districts, in abbreviated form.  [e.g.  Carol - although there's no full-stop, it's an abbrev. of "Caroline". ]

Here's her birth :

Victoria - Australia - BIRTHS
Emily Caroline TREWIN
Place of Birth :  Be Na, VIC   [Be Na possibly an abbreviation, haven't checked it yet. ]
Father :  John TREWIN
Mother :  Caroline COOPER
Regn. Date:  1878
Registration Place:  Victoria
Registration Number:   13585

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 23:25 GMT (UK) »
NZ Deaths : 

Burials at Waitara Cemetery, Taranaki.

Emily Caroline GREENLEES - 89 years  [bc  1879 ]
died - 5 May 1968

David GREENLEES - died 25 June 1966 ... buried in an adjoining plot.

http://www.newplymouthnz.com/CouncilAtoZ/CemeteriesAndCrematorium/CemeterySearch.htm

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 20 November 14 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Just an aside ... the birthplace of Emily Caroline TREWIN, given as Be Na, is probably an abbreviation for "Benalla" (VIC).
[The rather nice obituary for her mother > Caroline TREWIN > can be read
at http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home 
"Benalla Standard" - 5 January 1906 - page 4 ]

Offline Elizajb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 20 November 14 03:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lu,

Thanks a bunch for all the additional info, what a nice obit, I'd be happy if mine was like that!

With regard to the marriages and whether any of the Greenlees children were minors at the time, I have just had a good look over them and none were. All were married from 1902 onwards, with Charles being the last to marry in 1920.

However, not to give up without a fight, I then had a look at the spouses of the Greenlees clan and although most of them were also of age, William's wife, Florence Murphy may not have been. I am not quite sure which Florence Murphy she is in the birth index (if any), but there were two who had no middle name and both of them were born in 1889.

Florence and William married in 1906 (April 16), so this would make Florence only about 17 at the time of her marriage, assuming that she is one of the two births I found. So, would that mean they may show in the intention to marry records?

Regards Eliza.
BLANCH London, Kent, Cumberland, Sunderland WALTON Cumberland, WILSON Cumberland, New Zealand, GRAHAM Cumbria/USA,  DUNN Woolwich Kent, BLAKE Northumberland HENDERSON Renfrewshire PATERSON Argyllshire HALLAM Surrey BYRNE Dublin, BURNS Glasgow, DENSTON/BARBER Staff., WADMAN Somerset, DALE Middlesex, AIMERS Selkirkshire, BORTHWICK Berwickshire

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 20 November 14 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eliza, for your records-

Marraige
TREWIN Emily Carol Birth Place  GOORAMBAT
To  David GREENLEES Birth Place  WANGANUI
Year 1911
Reg.   8446

Between 1871 and 1891 John TREWIN and Caroline COOPER had 9 children in the Winchelsea, Benalla and Devenish regions of Victoria. More information about them is available but may not be really relevant.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk