Author Topic: Help Needed to Locate Death of James Greenlees  (Read 64994 times)

Offline Elizajb

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help Needed to Locate Death of James Greenlees
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 20 November 14 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sue,

I did have a bit of a nosey parker on the family after reading the lovely obit for Caroline, I wonder if Emily ever saw her family again. She and David seemed to be living in New Zealand from 1919 onwards.

I wonder how long they knew each other before the marriage as David was recorded in the NZ electoral rolls in 1911, the same year he married Emily.

I'm trying to track down the age of the James Greenlees who died in Barraba, New South Wales in 1903 that Lu mentioned in an earlier post. I don't mind getting the death record but would prefer to try and pin the age down first, in case it's a child or someone who could not be within cooee of the age. I  emailed the Tamworth Historical Society last night to see whether they have a burial index which may give any info at all about this person which would help me.

I don't know if they do replies to queries for information without it being a paid research request, but hopefully someone will reply.

I did have a look at how to get a certificate or transcript for New South Wales records, but on working through the process for the transcript, a note beside the 1903 record said 'no PDF available', so I may not be able to get the cheaper family history transcript in this case. If I can get info which says the James Greenlees in question was close in age to the one I'm looking for, then I'll probably get the certificate.

I'm certainly learning some new things and being reminded of those I've overlooked by discussing the problem on rootschat. It's very helpful.

Regards Eliza.
BLANCH London, Kent, Cumberland, Sunderland WALTON Cumberland, WILSON Cumberland, New Zealand, GRAHAM Cumbria/USA,  DUNN Woolwich Kent, BLAKE Northumberland HENDERSON Renfrewshire PATERSON Argyllshire HALLAM Surrey BYRNE Dublin, BURNS Glasgow, DENSTON/BARBER Staff., WADMAN Somerset, DALE Middlesex, AIMERS Selkirkshire, BORTHWICK Berwickshire

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 20 November 14 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sue,

I'm trying to track down the age of the James Greenlees who died in Barraba, New South Wales in 1903 that Lu mentioned in an earlier post. I don't mind getting the death record but would prefer to try and pin the age down first, in case it's a child or someone who could not be within cooee of the age. I  emailed the Tamworth Historical Society last night to see whether they have a burial index which may give any info at all about this person which would help me.

I don't know if they do replies to queries for information without it being a paid research request, but hopefully someone will reply.
I did have a look at how to get a certificate or transcript for New South Wales records, but on
working through the process for the transcript, a note beside the 1903 record said 'no PDF available', so I may not be able to get the cheaper family history transcript in this case. If I can get info which says the James Greenlees in question was close in age to the one I'm looking for, then I'll probably get the certificate.

I'm certainly learning some new things and being reminded of those I've overlooked by discussing the problem on rootschat. It's very helpful.

Regards Eliza.

Hi Eliza,
The "no pdf available" is of no consequence.   A transcription of the death certificate is identical in every way to the original certificate and is a complete copy. It cannot be used for legal purposes, but is perfectly adequate for family research and is a good deal cheaper.  It will reveal all that was on the original and is the only way for you to learn more of this chap. 
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/bdm_fh.html
Scroll down.

However, I suspect  it may not contain all you hope for.  The certification is completed by an informant to the registrar. It may be a friend, relative or the staff at an institution or others.  If the informant had no knowledge of the deceased person’s life and history, the certificate will have many “not known” entries.

The fact that the index entry is so scant, suggests to me little or nothing was known of James GREENLEES. It may offer an estimation of his age and his last known address, cause of death and place of death.

Having said all that, it will be the only way to eliminate (or otherwise) this James from your searches. ;D
Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Elizajb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 21 November 14 01:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,

I have decided to take a punt and order the transcription for the 1903 death. I think what I'm hoping for is, that if this should be the James Greenlees I'm after, that there will at least be some clue, the words 'New Zealand' for example.

I imagine that that would be the best I could hope for if he did indeed leave New Zealand for Australia from around 1900-1903.

In addition, I'm hoping that if it isn't him, that there will be enough info on the transcript to be able to work that out - age, background or some other identifying fact.

I have no idea how long it will take to receive the transcript, but would imagine it could be at least a couple of weeks. I may yet hear from the Tamworth people, but aren't holding my breath. I found cemetery transcriptions for the Barraba area but there was none for a James Greenlees so could not trace it that way.

I'll report back if I hear anything and continue to search for other sightings of him in any other records of the time.

Regards Eliza.
BLANCH London, Kent, Cumberland, Sunderland WALTON Cumberland, WILSON Cumberland, New Zealand, GRAHAM Cumbria/USA,  DUNN Woolwich Kent, BLAKE Northumberland HENDERSON Renfrewshire PATERSON Argyllshire HALLAM Surrey BYRNE Dublin, BURNS Glasgow, DENSTON/BARBER Staff., WADMAN Somerset, DALE Middlesex, AIMERS Selkirkshire, BORTHWICK Berwickshire

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 22 November 14 02:14 GMT (UK) »

Florence and William married in 1906 (April 16), so this would make Florence only about 17 at the time of her marriage,   ....  So, would that mean they may show in the intention to marry records?

[Missed replying to this earlier. ]     
Yes, there'll be an ITM record ... and provided that Florence is a minor at time of marriage, then the notice should include a note of the person giving permission for her to wed.

If you need an ITM look-up, then you'll need to supply "place of marriage" (city/town) and "the date" (month/ or quarter).     [ITM's are only indexed up to 1881. ]   ;)

~ Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 22 November 14 02:35 GMT (UK) »

....  had a look at the spouses of the Greenlees clan and although most of them were also of age, William's wife, Florence Murphy may not have been. I am not quite sure which Florence Murphy she is in the birth index (if any), but there were two who had no middle name and both of them were born in 1889.

... just another aside  ... this may help in eliminating one of the Florence's ?

Found on an online tree, a marriage cert. for >
Florence MURPHY (said to have been born on 22 April 1889) - the d/o Thomas Patrick MURPHY and Kate Costello -- married at Kaiapoi, Canterbury 7 July 1910, to Ralph DARNILL [DARMILL shown on NZSG marriage resource ].   Marriage dissolved - Decree Absolute - 5 September 1941.

NZBDM is currently out of action so can't check any further at this stage. 

~  Lu

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 22 November 14 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Is this Florence Murphy's (Mrs W.Greenlee of Wanganui) mother a Mary Ann Murphy?

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=AS19290207.2.148&srpos=2&e=-------10--1----0death+James+Greenlee--

That should help narrow down which Florence Murphy you were looking for
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 22 November 14 23:18 GMT (UK) »
NZ Birth :

1888/16626 - MURPHY - Florence -- date of birth* - 25 June 1888
Parents:   Mary Ann and James Joseph.

[* d.o.b. deduced from NZ BDM online registration listing. ]

~   Lu

Offline Elizajb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 23 November 14 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Great sleuthing Lu and Whiteout,

The two 1889 births for Florence Murphy weren't the right ones after all, so a good bit of deduction on your parts, thankyou. Lu, should I post a separate topic to ask for a look up of the intention to marry records and if I do, is that record likely to give any information on William's father James, ie) whether alive or dead?

How long prior to a marriage would the ITM forms have been completed? Or do I just give the date of the marriage?

I have just heard back from the Tamworth people but they cannot help with the record of the 1903 death, they have no info on it and suggest I get in touch with the local Historical Society in Barraba. However they have no email address, only snail mail, so I think I might wait for the arrival of the death transcript, which I have now ordered, before contacting them in case it is not necessary.

If it is not him in the end, I'm a bit stumped for where to look next, but I'll worry about that after I've seen the death record.

Regards Eliza.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 23 November 14 23:09 GMT (UK) »

Lu, should I post a separate topic to ask for a look up of the intention to marry records and if I do, is that record likely to give any information on William's father James, ie) whether alive or dead?

How long prior to a marriage would the ITM forms have been completed? Or do I just give the date of the marriage?

Hi Eliza, just briefly >

Yes ... separate topic (new thread) needed for an ITM look-up.
No ...it won't have parents names (unless one party is a minor and a parent is giving permission to wed).

Please be aware that ITM's are not substitutes for marriage certificates.    You can read more about the information they contain, at the following link (NZ Resources - LINKS : Archives, Libraries, etc.) >
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=494517.0

~  Lu