Author Topic: Chamberlain Buildings Midsomer Norton  (Read 2490 times)

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Chamberlain Buildings Midsomer Norton
« on: Tuesday 18 November 14 13:01 GMT (UK) »
I have spent some considerable time over the past five or six years trying to locate Chamberlain Buildings. I have narrowed down the search to somewhere north of Stones Cross, probably in the Station Road or Welton area.
I have tried the Radstock Museum and also the Tithe Map for the area without success.
The location seems to have disappeared sometime in the 1870s/1880s.
Any help would be appreciated.

radstockjeff
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Chamberlain Buildings Midsomer Norton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 08:10 BST (UK) »
I have a theory that the buildings in question may have been demolished as part of the construction of the Bristol and North Somerset Railway in the mid 1860s.
Can anyone please direct me to a place where I could see a copy of the drawings for the construction of the line?
Thanks
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 08:56 BST (UK) »
If it helps, the Welton & Midsomer Norton Railway Station was on Station Road, just about where Valley Walk branches off?

The railway at that point ran East-West.

See: http://bristol-rail.co.uk/wiki/Midsomer_Norton_and_Welton
where there is a map
also: http://mapio.net/o/1615513/
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 09:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks KGarrad for that info.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 12:39 BST (UK) »
Looking at page 1 of that part of the census, the description of the enumeration district is:

All that part of the parish of Midsomer Norton north of <??>ook, including the Vicarage House, Norton Villa, Greyhound Inn, the Commercial Hotel, Coalpit Lane, Dicky<?> Mead, Under Hill, Chilcompton Lane and a portion of Clapton Tithing.

The Commercial Hotel was on High Street, as was the Vicarage.

Could the illegible name be Wellow Brook?

The district starts with The Island, Church Lane, Scobell's Cottages, School House, Blacker Premises. The Old Vicarage, Greyhound Inn, Orchard Buildings, Whithies Lane, Woodbine Cottage, Redfield Farm & Cottages, Jennings Road Field, portion of Clapton Tithing, Halls Cottages, Reeves's Cottages, Prattens Cottages, Redland Cottage, Cathey's Buildings, Church Yard, Parfitt's Buildings, Scobell's Farm, Norton Villa, Hole in Wall Brewery, High Street, Tidcombes Buildings, Commercial Inn, Hall's Cottages, Holmes Cottages, Smith's Cottages, Thayers's Cottages, Coalpit Gardens, Victoria Buildings, Chamberlain's Buildings, Humphrey's Cottages, York House, Brick Kiln Row, Stone's Cross, Coalpit Lane, Vicarage, Coomer's Grave, Under Hill, Dicky Mead, Vicarage Yard.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)