Author Topic: Cowshot. Pirbright  (Read 5360 times)

Offline mickmack1942

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A bit of old Blarney castle
    • View Profile
Re: Cowshot. Pirbright
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 November 14 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, no I have not thought about what connection there might be with the manor, if the estate
 was quite big there could still be some papers in the Surrey RO, got to go there some time soon
one or two niggles that need sorting, best done with the original stuff, bit of a hike from here though, convince the good lady she needs a day out, as our people came from or lived at Cowshot area might find some meat for the bones, I will have a look at the manor on Google earth, massive changes around there what with the army's land grab, any way thanks for the idea...  mick
Pringle..N-yorks.  Swann..Nthamptonshire. Newman..Wilts.  Whites...Surrey/london.  Filce..London/surrey.  McCarthy...Co Cork Eire.
Atkinson...N-Yorks.    Irvine... Sothern England
Cook...glouc/shire.    Alderton... Thingoe/Suffolk

Offline lulubird

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 November 14 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mick,

I'm a member of the West Surrey FHS and have some of their records.  May I ask your link to Pirbright?  I may be able to find something.   Also I noticed that you have ancestors called Newman in Wiltshire.  So have I.  May I ask which villages,as it's a common name in the county?  I'm the online parish clerk for three Pewsey Vale villages, where my grandfather's family came from, and my husband's grandfather's family were farmers in the Downton/Redlynch district.  We may have links  -  who knows?

By the way, re-Pirbright,we have always been extremely grateful to the army that we have wide swathes of moor and woodland around our area still,thanks to them.  Unfortunately,the Pirbright training barracks have been closed down and it looks as if a large housing estate will be built there.  Very sad.

Regards,

Linda

Offline mickmack1942

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 November 14 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda, well were to start, the Newman's of wilts  they were all Horningsham, our line went into Southwark, London and then to Yorks, due to the limitations of what's been transcribed in Wilts,
chasing them all out has been a problem to see were and what they did, if it was not for the ind chapel there I would be floundering some what, I first got to grips when I had a few days in the record office many years ago, I do not know what its like now, but then all the PR's were on open shelves, but I did manage to pick on some families who marr into my Newmans. Trollop. Horton. Kitley. Crouch.
Doel. Gilbert. Stone. they are all the Wilts connects, did find 2 miscreants, one dumping his family on the parish and the other for stealing chickens and went to Devizes prison for a spell, were most of all the Newman children went and met I do not no as yet, I would think that there is a connect some were its just finding it, so many Newman's must all be related some were, I am sure Downton is in the frame for a Newman.
Regarding Pirbright crumbs, as you say what more house nobody can afford, we have the same problem here £3/4/500,000 homes going up, I digress, gosh were to start I have so many lines to
probably all the west Surrey towns and villages, have, If I am correct it all started with 2 lines, the Filces + variations Chertsey/Egham and the Cooks in Stoke nxt Guildford, and it all got out of hand from then on, naming them all best way is to say is try me with some names/places, better leave it there for now....mick

Pringle..N-yorks.  Swann..Nthamptonshire. Newman..Wilts.  Whites...Surrey/london.  Filce..London/surrey.  McCarthy...Co Cork Eire.

Offline lulubird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mick,

I don't have any Newmans from Horningsham that I'm aware of,sadly, but we may cross over somewhere else.   My Newmans were mostly from Burbage.   There's a chance we may have other links as my paternal family came from Egham.   My great,great grandfather John Holloway was born there. He became a schoolmaster but his father and grandfather were Egham blacksmiths.  No Filces that I know of so far,though.   

It's a small world as I know Guildford very well.  Both our daughters were born there and the eldest went to Guildford High.  Stoke Park is just up the road.

I always think that the recalcitrant rellies are the best.  Nothing like a bit of a devil or a black sheep to liven things up! 

Hope that you make it down to the Woking archives soon.  Let me know if you're coming and I'll try to get over to say "Hi" to you both.

Best wishes,

Linda

Offline mickmack1942

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 15:28 GMT (UK) »
No worries, if I find any thing i'll let you know, our worst got 12 months hard labour in Dorchester prison for stealing £20 from his employer the brewery in Dorchester, he dump his wife in Sandwich in Kent, he then ran of with a chaps wife from Spitlefields  down to Plymouth, not happy with that, he ran of again with her daughter, and then got his children in trouble stealing cycles in Sussex, he lived in Middlesex. Kent. Surrey. Hampshire. Dorset. Devon. Cornwall. and Oxford... there's a book there some where me thinks,...mick

Offline missnovelle

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I don't know if this is any help at all now, as you've been told there is a Cowshot Manor in Pirbright, and I have some family connection there as well, I believe some of my ancestors by the name of Mitchell lived either in Cowshot Manor, according to what my Grandma says, or on the farm itself for a few generations, from around 1800-1900. There are several listings of births and deaths in the family at Cowshot.