Author Topic: Tracing the Henry and Gregory families of Aberdeenshire  (Read 2009 times)

Offline henryai268

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tracing the Henry and Gregory families of Aberdeenshire
« on: Tuesday 18 November 14 21:43 GMT (UK) »
My first time on Rootschat....!
I am tracing my family line which seems to go back to Aberdeenshire on both my Mother and Father's side. I know of Freeman Henry 1822 to 1881 (married Ann Robertson) and his father also Freeman Henry dates n/k. Anyone got any info that might help? Also, I am trying to resolve a potential link with the famous Gregorys of Aberdeenshire as my ancestors on my Mother's side were John Gregory (b1761) and Elizabeth Mackie (b1771) and had a son called Robert (b1813 in Peterhead) John, who 'may' have been the son of the Hon Elizabeth Forbes and the famous John Gregory (b1724). I can't however prove for certain this link with my current sources. Any help greatly appreciated.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing the Henry and Gregory families of Aberdeenshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 04:52 GMT (UK) »
Freeman Henry b 6 October 1822, Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland, father Freeman Henry (from IGI)

*One of the Freeman Henrys seems to have been a Whaler that got shipwrecked in 1857, he must have survived (probably Ann's husband, do you think?)
http://www.nefa.net/archive/peopleandlife/sea/arctic.htm

Children of Freeman Henry and Ann Robertson  married 19 November 1851    Peterhead,Aberdeen,Scotland from the IGI:

1/Ann Henry born 22 July 1854, Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
2/Freeman Alexander Henry born 26 August 1852, Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland    
3/Thomas John Bremner Henry born 14 May 1856, Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
4/James Johnston Robertson Henry born 4 August 1858,  Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
5/Robert Martin Henry born 6 September 1861, Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland       

Marriage
May 18th 1817
Freeman Alexander Henry, sailor and Isabella Cordiner both in Peterhead.
(Would be interesting to know this couples children)

Freeman A Henry born 1852 appears in the 1861 census but you would need the paid version at scotlandspeople.gov.uk to view it as the freecensus does not cover Peterhead yet ....
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline jeffery1_6

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 May 17 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hi - I know it's been sometime since you first posted this query. I was just wondering if you'd had any success with the Gregory family. I have an ancestor Helen or Ellen Gregory born Aberdeen between 1809 -1811. Father Alexander Gregory. Occupation Parish Clerk. I too am struggling to find her parents/Ancestry and wondered if we may be looking for the same family?

Offline henryai268

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 May 17 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm not sure we have a connection but you never know. My relatives around that time are John Gregory (B1763) from Old Deer near Aberdeen. His wife was Elizabeth Mackie (B1775) and I have only tracked one Son Robert Gregory 1813 and 3 Daughters Grizel 1806, Elizabeth 1808, Margaret 1808. The only Alexander Gregory I have was born 1771 in Banff and married to Janet Smith.
Not sure I have been of any help but if I can help further just shout.
cheers and good luck
Aidan

Offline jeffery1_6

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 May 17 18:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you Aidan...I'm not sure. I shall keep looking. If it turns out there is a link, I shall certainly get back in touch! Thanks again  :)

Offline HY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 22:33 BST (UK) »
I have a Mary Ann Henry, daughter of Freeman Alexander Henry, born in 1825, in my family tree. I wonder if she is a sister your Freeman Henry born in 1822.

Offline henryai268

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 April 18 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi HY
That certainly sounds like a definite link in the Henry 'clan'. My line of the family moved to Newcastle in late 1800's presumably to follow work in fishing or shipbuilding after the decline of fishing in Aberdeenshire. I am of course a Geordie and proud of my Scottish heritage. If you have anything more on Freeman A Henry i.e. His Mother and Father I would be over the moon with any help to trace the line back as far as I can.
Regards
Aidan Henry ((Newcastle)

Offline HY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 20:54 BST (UK) »
Afew more dots that may help:

According to the Peterhead Directory, in 1853 there was a Freeman Henry, shipmaster living on Keith Inch in Peterhead

There is a birth record for Freeman Henry born in 1822 in ScotlandsPeople. The index has Freeman Henry as a parent. The record may have some more details about his parents.

ScotlandsPeople also has a record of the marriage of Freeman Henry and Ann Robertson in 1851. This record may have some details about their parents.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 00:06 BST (UK) »
ScotlandsPeople also has a record of the marriage of Freeman Henry and Ann Robertson in 1851. This record may have some details about their parents.
Unlikely.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.