Author Topic: Gordon Arthur 1799 - 1845 Peterhead, Aberdeenshire  (Read 8420 times)

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gordon Arthur 1799 - 1845 Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 March 15 08:15 GMT (UK) »
There is a baptism for Gordon Arthur female in 1799 in Peterhead, father Andrew Arthur and mother not named. Not a common name at all, so I suspect the 1819 marriage to Alexander Shewan and the 1836 marriage to William Robertson are both her.

Ancestry has an entry in the Find a Grave Index for Gordon Arthur dated 1846 buried in Peterhead Cemetery.

1841 census has Gordon Robertson wife with William Robertson and two young children, including a 4 month old daughter named Gordon Robertson. William was a blacksmith and they are in Marischel Street, Peterhead,

1851 census has William Robertson a blacksmith of Marishal Street, Peterhead with several children including 10year old Gordon Robertson. There is also an Alexander Shewan age 25 in the same household described as son in law - probably means stepson.

So it looks as if Gordon Arthur was married twice and died in 1845.

It wasn't common to give females what is more traditionally a male first name but it certainly did happen and was often a name that was also a surname. I have a Wilson Haddow on my tree who was female.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 March 15 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you JM Strachan.

I am looking at the 1841 Census on FreeCen, and it has M next to the two Gordons, so there's been a transcription error.

Living at the house next door to Gordon ROBERTSON (nee Arthur) in Marischel St are Andrew (the tailor) and Margaret "ARTHER" along with their son, Andrew, a druggist/surgeon and their grandson Alexander McKINNON (who has a younger brother called Gordon, but he wasn't staying with the grandparents on census night), plus a couple of sailors and a journeyman and a servant.

In the 1851 census it appears that William Robertson has remarried to Elspet.  He is 44 and she is 23.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 May 15 22:35 BST (UK) »
Deceasedonline has Gordon Arthur and her husband and some children buried together in Peterhead.   It also has her parents, Andrew Arthur and Margaret
Lendrum,  some siblings, a cousin etc in another entry.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 September 15 23:54 BST (UK) »
The name was passed down.

Gordon Arthur's daughter, Gordon Robertson, had a daughter called Gordon Arthur Ritchie.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYR8-W7K

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 October 15 20:40 BST (UK) »
Nettie - I have the will of George Arthur, farmer at Longside and formerly shipmaster of Peterhead.  He died in 1867 and in his will he leaves his estate to his nephews Andrew and Robert Shewan, shipmasters of London.

I believe that Gordon Arthur had (at least) two sisters - Jane who died in infancy and is buried with her parents in Peterhead and Margaret - and (at least) three brothers, Andrew, Thomas and George.    Andrew was a surgeon/druggist.   Thomas was a seaman.

The three brothers all had daughters.   I've found baptisms for two daughters of Andrew, and a daughter of George, but at the time Andrew and George weren't married.  I don't know what became of these daughters.  Thomas had a daughter called Isabella who lived to a ripe old age.   I haven't confirmed who Isabella Arthur's mother was, but I do know the maternal grandmother was Isabella Rae who had children by two marriages - the first husband was a Riach and the second was a McKinnon.

I think Gordon Arthur's maternal grandparents were Thomas Lendrum and Jean/Jane Cassie of Cruden and that Mary Lendrum who married George Barclay was the maternal aunt of Gordon, Margaret, Andrew, George and Thomas.  I think that another aunt was Elizabeth Lendrum who married John Lillie.   This is about one of their descendants:
http://rbg-web2.rbge.org.uk/bbs/Learning/Bryohistory/Bygone%20Bryologists/DAVID%20LILLIE.rtf

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 05 November 16 05:08 GMT (UK) »
Here's another female named Gordon in Peterhead.

Cassie. Robert, joiner in Peterhead and Gordon Lamb his wife, a son, Robert, born 30 May 1854 bap. 17 Jun 1854 before Robert Warrender and William Davidson.

Offline Nettie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • You can choose your friends but not your relations
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 28 October 17 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Hurford,
Sincere thanks for your contributions.  Sorry that I left these responses unanswered, life got very hard during 2015-1016 and I abandoned a lot of things, especially genealogy.

I do appreciate your time.
Researching: Cronin / Nolan - Gortadrislig, Kerry
Finn/Clifford - Callinafercy and Scort, Kerry
Spillane - Milltown
Also:- Byrne / Tyrrell - Dublin

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 November 17 05:45 GMT (UK) »
I hope 2017 has been a better year Nettie. 

I think I was mistaken about George Arthur not being married to the mother of his daughter. 

Please PM me if you'd like further information on the family, as I may be able to help or put you in touch with descendants.