Author Topic: Edward Cecil Barton 1896-1980  (Read 4605 times)

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Cecil Barton 1896-1980
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 November 14 07:01 GMT (UK) »
1) Thank you very much for the entry from the Canadian census -- this is the right guy. It is also the same person who was attending school in Devon.
2) I am investigating Tom Wilmot and nine others who attended Sandhurst for five months in 1915.  I am researching their lives before, during and after WW1 (five lived, five died). It's NOT an account of a sports team, but a biographical study of ten individuals.
3) Barton is therefore a side issue. HOWEVER I am astonished and interested to learn that he served in Ireland after the war because another of my subjects, Douglas Wimberley, did the same thing and it will be very useful to have Barton to compare their accounts.
4) This link below gives further information on my research. The article was published a year ago and things have moved on considerably since then. Please note therefore that not all the information is accurate although given in good faith at the time. Nevertheless, it will give an idea of what I'm doing. I would of course be very happy to hear from anyone with a family connection (I am in touch with five lots of relatives at present) or thoughts about research. I am particularly stuck on the team captain, Ivor Cochrane. Not only can I not trace any relatives, most frustratingly a scrapbook he compiled was sold at auction six years ago, but the auction house have no record of the purchaser and I've been unable to trace it.

As always, so grateful to everyone for their interest and expertise!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/world-war-one/10325647/From-the-hockey-field-to-the-battlefield-the-team-which-lost-half-its-players-in-WW1.html
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 November 14 07:14 GMT (UK) »
I, also, found something (not-sold) at auction 8 or 9 years ago.
The internet throw up the search result, but the auction house did not have keep records of the hoped-for seller from that long ago.
So a family heirloom out there somewhere.
I agree with your frustration.

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 November 14 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Exactly, makes one want to spit! You would have thought they would just have a list on a PC somewhere, but no!
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline RMBarton

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 08:24 BST (UK) »
I stumbled upon this corresspondence  and was immediately fascinated because Edward Cecil Barton was my father. You have some of the facts right, but not all of them! As he talked very infrequently about the first world war, I cannot shed any light on Wilmot. Presumably you got his name from Let the Boy win his spurs? My father died in February 1980. He had five children of whom three of us are still alive. I would be happy to answer any queries you have if I am able to do so. He was an amazing man, quietly spoken and unassuming and his idea of happiness was to be alone or with his family in the peaceful countryside, gardening or fishing or teaching his children about nature. Hardly surprising after the horrors he must have endured.