Author Topic: John Blackburn (Blakeburn) and Rose Murphy  (Read 2556 times)

Offline Yorkyboyl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Blackburn (Blakeburn) and Rose Murphy
« on: Wednesday 19 November 14 15:59 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to match the info. I have on this couple with dates and names that look as if they match, but need confirmation. John, surname varies in spelling, and Rose/Rosanna/Rosamund lived in Wylam, Northumberland and according to parish records had 8 children there between 1803 and 1826. John was born in 1774, son of Robert and Mary.
  The records show that Rose was born in Downpatrick, N.Ireland, date unknown, but would be about 1783/84 if census is anything to go by.
  There is a record of a John Blackburn marrying a Rose Murphy in Whitehaven, Cumbria on 5th.June 1800, which sounds OK., but I cannot find anything to link Whitehaven/Wylam /Downpatrick together.
There was also a child born before the eight in Wylam, but unable to trace name or date of birth.
  Can anyone help please with info., particularly on Rose, her parents, family etc..
  Thanks

Offline JimB3

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: John Blackburn (Blakeburn) and Rose Murphy
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 22:08 GMT (UK) »
I had seen the same information and tried to figure out the connection to Whitehaven. The best that I could figure out was that in 1800 John Blackburn would have been about 28 years old and that was also the time when the coal mining operations in Whitehaven were expanding at a very rapid rate. It seems that, over time, the movement of family members often followed coal mining jobs.

The Durham Mining Museum has records of at least ten annual bonds for John Blackburn in the “Estate Business & Family Papers of the Blackett Family of Wylam” between 1806 and 1830.  The Blackett family was the owner of the Wylam Colliery in the early 1800s.

The Death Registration for Rosy Blackburn in 1862 (Gateshead District, Whickham Subdistrict) lists her as 90 years old and as wife of John Blackburn, Coal Miner

Offline Yorkyboyl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim,
    Firstly apologies for not replying sooner, we were on holiday until Dec. 6th. and since then have been inundated with grandchildren !!! so thanks for the reply re. John Blackburn,....the marriage in Whitehaven looked good, and as you say, coal mining in that part of the world in 1800 was very common. I have been in touch with Cumbria Archives a while ago and they cannot provide anything conclusive that the 1800 marriage is in fact J.B. of Wylam ans Rose M. from Downpatrick Ireland. In fact their records show no details other than John was a labourer and they were both shown of the parish. There is a record of a Rose Murphy born in Harrington,  Cumbria in 1783, but no details to join the dots.
  Thanks again, I'll keep plodding !

Brian

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 December 17 08:48 GMT (UK) »
I would keep plodding
just for the future if anyone comes across this post,

is this the first child you have a record for
Christian Blakeburn
born June 23rd
baptised October 16th
second child of John Blakeburn of this parish by his wife
 Rosey Murphy of Ireland
records for Ovingham March 24th 1803 to March 1804
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 December 17 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Robert 3rd child possibly named after his Grandfather
is Christian a common name in your family
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 January 18 10:32 GMT (UK) »
between 1800 and 1803 you say they have a child and you havent been able to confirm this one good luck with your research hopefuly something will be found soon

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 07:44 GMT (UK) »
See the BT's for Ovingham page 184 of 595

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6WJT-YS?i=183&wc=9K53-BZS%3A13617901%2C29952501%2C29952502&cc=1309819

Just below that one is the baptism of a child Mary Arthur whose mother was an Ann Blackburn.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Yorkyboyl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello there,
  Thanks for the info re Christian Blackburn... no the name is not common within the family, I did have the details you confirmed although I did have him as the first child, with Robert as the second, but seemingly there was an earlier birth ?  Do you have any details of this and/or any background to Rosey Murphy at all please....were they married in Ovingham or Ireland or possibly not married at all ?

Thanks

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Yorkyboy sadly no I do not have any further informaion I have sat and looked through the bishops transcripts  from the period you are looking at and have only seen Christian mentioned as the second child,without a clue to where they were between 1800 and 1803 it would be a county wide search miners often moved dependant on where the work was,I can't confirm the marriage is the correct one but it is highly likely,I will keep my eyes open in Cumberland and Northumberland,