Author Topic: Mackintosh family tree's  (Read 21658 times)

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mackintosh family tree's
« on: Wednesday 19 November 14 17:14 GMT (UK) »
 ;) Hi all, i'm looking for any one researching Mackintosh/Macintosh/McIntosh,
i'm surmising Mackintosh's started in Scotland, my Mackintosh's ended up in Wolsingham,
Co Durham, 1st couple John & Ann Mackintosh.

John Mackintosh died 1828 age 84,
Ann Mackintosh { no maiden name } died 1820 age 68

They had 5 children
John Mackintosh. William Mackintosh.  Robert Hunter Mackintosh { possibly mother's maiden name}  James Mackintosh &  George Mackintosh.
All children born Wolsingham, Co Durham.

I would love to find a connection to John & Ann Mackintosh.
All the best.
Derek :)
Casey,Comaskey,McDade,O'Brien,Dinely, Farrell,
McKay, Sharkey, Phillips, Marren.

Offline Mctosh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mackintosh family tree's
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 00:01 GMT (UK) »
 Hello

I am a McIntosh born in Stockton-On-Tees. I have researched my family and have also reached John and Ann of Wolsingham. I have information on four children but no mention of Robert Hunter Mackintosh. Could you please direct me to the source of your information on Robert.

Thanks

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mctosh.
my source is Durham records online.
I'm a Stockotn lad born and live in Bliingham,
iv'e had contact with a Stockton McIntosh before but we couldn't find his connection to mine,
i'm decended from James & George McIntosh, William.
If you have any information on any connection to the Stockton McIntosh's send me a pm,
we could exchage info.
Derek ;)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 10:33 GMT (UK) »
I have researched my family and have also reached John and Ann of Wolsingham. I have information on four children but no mention of Robert Hunter Mackintosh. Could you please direct me to the source of your information on Robert.

my source is Durham records online.

Derek, I hope you don't mind  :D I am adding a link to your thread on this family, where a lot of the source information can be seen
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=676149.msg5209779#msg5209779
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 11:18 GMT (UK) »
 ;) Ok jen,

no problem and thanks.

All the best.

Derek ;)

Offline Mctosh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Derek,

Thank you for the source location of Robert Hunter Mackintosh. I wonder if you have any more information on this Robert or on any of the Wolsingham Mackintosh's brothers.

As you say there are five Mackintosh sons of John and Ann (Wolsingham).

This is some information in which I have researched and you and perhaps others may be interested.

John(1789) married Elizabeth Dodds(1791) in 1808 in Wolsingham.

James(1796) married Ann(1796 b.Ireland) and their son George(1826 b.Wolsingham) moved to Hartlepool. The census shows Ann moved to live with him in later life. It seems you belong to this branch.

George (1796) married Jane Dickinson(1797) in 1814 in Wolsingham but this family were living in Middlesbrough at the time of the 1841 census.

William(1791) married Rachel Stuart(1801) in 1820. They had two children born in Wolsingham Jane (1820) and John (1822). The family seem to have moved to Monkwearmouth where Hannah (1824) May Ann(1827) and Mary(1829)  were born. They then moved to Middlesbrough where their last child was born Rachel(1832).

William(1791) is shown in the 1841 and 1851 census living in Middlesbrough. The 1851 Census shows Williams birthplace as sic. Wolsington

William(1791) 's son John Mackintosh(1822) is shown as single in the 1841 census living in Stainton  as  a potter. John (1822) married Ann Deal (Doyle) 1843. They had one child Alice(1844) who only survived a few weeks. His wife Ann Mackintosh died in 1848.

John(1822) by this time living in Stockton remarried a widow Ellen Pullin (Nee Smith - Daughter of Wilson Smith) and they had three children Wilson McIntosh(1851) Rachel McIntosh(1852) and William McIntosh(1856).

John(1822) died in 1859 and Ellen Mackintosh remarried an Irishman John Craig and their progress and the three McIntosh step childen can be followed in the census. A record of John(1822)'s death can be found in the Durham County Advertiser.

Wilson McIntosh(1851) married Mary Watson and had eight Children. Rachel(1852) married late in life Thomas Appleton((1855) in 1892 and had no children. William McIntosh(1856) married Elizabeth Gillson(1862) in 1880 and had ten children.

To cut a long story short one of these children of William(1856) Robert McIntosh(1895) is my paternal grandfather.

This is only my second post. Not sure how pm works yet or anything else on this website. Hope someone can shed light on your original query.

Mctosh

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mctosh,

Make one more post to be able to use the PM system. You need to have made 3 posts, look for the little icon, looks like a page with 3 lines on under the persons name that you want to pm. Press the icon then type your message, be aware you cannot attach images etc to the pm.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline jennymack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 January 15 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I will enjoy having a read through all this information - James Mackintosh (Wolsingham) was my G G G Grandfather. I have got one bit of info that might be on here, (I haven't had time to read everything yet, sorry!) but from family stories that I have researched, it seems that John, who is James' father was born in Edinburgh in 1743 (parents John Mackintosh and Euphame Johnstone of Orkney) ran away to England with one of his brothers, or possibly a friend not a brother, to avoid being deported for poaching! This is how this particular group of Mackintoshes ended up in England, so I'm told. I find all this stuff fascinating.  :)

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 January 15 20:39 GMT (UK) »
 ;) Hi Jenny, i'm decended from James  & Ann, also,
it appears thiers no marriage certificate for them, i dont suppose you know where in
Ireland Ann is from, no information to be got from James Death certificate.

Love the part about how the Mackintosh's came  to England, have you got further back
than John & Ann.

I have sent you a pm, tried for another but your pm box full.

All the best. ;)
Derek