Author Topic: Mackintosh family tree's  (Read 21604 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Mackintosh family trees
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 10:25 BST (UK) »
Working on the principle that people didn't move around so much in those days I looked for the baptism record of a Robert Mackintosh in the same Parish and found one 1694.

It's a useful working hypothesis, but a very dangerous assumption, especially with a common surname. Just because this Robert is the only one in the available records does not mean that he is the right one. Many baptisms, especially as early as the 17th century, were never recorded, or, if they were, the record has not survived.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Mctosh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mackintosh family tree's
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 14:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your observation, it is valid and very valuable. I do agree 100%. Mackintosh is a very common name and Edinburgh being a large town makes research at this time additionally difficult. I imagine too at this time the number of families with records are tiny relative to those without records.   

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hi mctosh ;)

so glad you are keeping eye on this one :D
All the best.

Derek. :)
Casey,Comaskey,McDade,O'Brien,Dinely, Farrell,
McKay, Sharkey, Phillips, Marren.

Offline drjohnmc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 04 April 15 21:53 BST (UK) »
Derek,

As a newcomer to  RootsChat I have looked at various threads concerning McIntosh in its various spellings.

I now know we are related but I'm not sure how! Let me explain...

My line...
Starting with John Macintosh and Ann (married early 1780's)
2nd child - William Macintosh (b1791) and Rachael Stuart (b1792) (m1820)
2nd child - John Macintosh (b1822) and Ellen Pullin (nee Smith) (b1821) (m1849)
3rd child - William Macintosh [*A] (b1856) and Elizabeth Gillson (b1862) (m1880)
5th child - Robert Macintosh (b1895) and Ellen Cain (b1898) (m1920)
(Robert and Ellen are my grandparents.)

Your line...
Starting with John Macintosh and Ann (married early 1780's)
4th child - James Macintosh (b1796) and Ann (b Ireland)
4th child - George Macintosh (b1826)
2nd child - William Macintosh [*B] (b1855)
1st child - John William Macintosh (b1887)

This gets more interesting in the 1891 Census for Middle St, Stockton...

My Great grandfather William (*A above) lived at No 1 Middle St with his wife Elizabeth
and four children.

William (*B above) lived at 3 Middle Street with his wife Margaret and one child.
William was born 1855 in West Hartlepool.

William (*A above) surname was given as McIntosh. His 3rd Child born 1889 was called John
BUT in the 1901 census was called John W. (John W wwas my grandfather's older brother)

William (*B above) surname was given an Macintosh. His only child was called John William (b1887)

It would seem the 5 generations and 100+ years on from John and Ann there would be TWO John William children born within 2 years off one another living in the same street in Stockton.

One further point..
My John William married Sara Jane Whitehead 02 Jan 1915 (Civil) and was married agin in St Mary's RC Church Stockton 01 Apr 1932.

John

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 05 April 15 10:24 BST (UK) »
 ;)drjohnmc, i always wondered about the two McIntosh's in Middle st, just didn't know if they were
connected, my maternal great grandparents had a son called John William McIntosh, he died in
great war early 1914, they had a daughter Norah McIntosh, she married W Tippey, they are my maternal grandparents.
I will send you a pm with my e-mail address if ok.
Derek ;)
Casey,Comaskey,McDade,O'Brien,Dinely, Farrell,
McKay, Sharkey, Phillips, Marren.

Offline drjohnmc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 05 April 15 10:50 BST (UK) »
Derek,
No problem with the e-mail.
I'm sure the two families are connected.
The second John William is your JW - all the facts fit.
John

Offline drjohnmc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 05 April 15 11:32 BST (UK) »
Derek,
1901 Census 7, Ann St Stockton
Nora (born 1896) is living with her Mother Margaret age 37. No sign of William and John William.
Image of Census is attached.
John

Image removed , copyright , you may provide your own transcription.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 05 April 15 11:53 BST (UK) »
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Soup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'm also a descendant of the McIntosh's from Wolsingham and have found the above interesting.

I've got as far back as John & Ann too. From them my connection is with their son William M McIntosh. He quite rightly married Rachael Stewart in 1820. Rachael had a former marriage to James Stewart, 1809 Wolsingham, and her maiden name was Brown.

William & Rachel's daughter, Hannah b. 1824, married Joseph Jones 1845, Middlesborough.

Hannah and Joseph had three children that I have recorded to date. Of them, the first one Rachel Jones b. app 1848 is my Gt Gt Grandmother.

Rachel Jones married George William Smith in Feb 1866 in Middlesborough. They had seven children of which the second one, another George William Smith b. 1869 Middlesborough is my Gt Grandfather.
Now all was not as it seemed with George & Rachel and sometime 1879/80 the family moved down to London and changed their name from 'Smith' to 'Middleditch'. In doing my research I believe George William Smith senior was actually born 'Middleditch' in London c 1842, and moved up North, for whatever reason, and changed his name to 'Smith'. It must have been a surprise to Rachel when he uprooted them all and took them down to London.

George William Smith Middleditch married Ada Emily White, 1895 Shenfield, Essex. They had 7 children of which the 5th was my Grandmother, Ada Elizabeth Middleditch born 1906, Billericay.

I have a query with my line I have yet to solve. The 1851 census through to 1891 has my Gt Gt grandmother Rachel Jones being born in Scotland. Being as her parents and grandparents were all born in the Durham area, who did Hannah go to for the birth? I have not found a birth certificate for Rachel but am not a member of Scotlands People to be able to look for it.

There is also a 'rumour' in my family about leaving Scotland and going South. Wasn't poaching, but two brothers fighting and one got injured. My Aunt told me this and she said she was told by her Grandmother. there must be a truth in the rumours in the different families for the different threads to all have a version. I'd be interested in the other versions.

Incidentally I was brought up in Whitby, Nth Yorkshire and never knew a branch of my family resided in Middlesborough! Our family holidays were always spent camping in Scotland too. My Dad loved it up there, so much so, that he has lived in the Highlands (Kyle of Lochalsh) for the last 35 years! (He was born in Kent, as was I). I have also sung in Durham Cathedral!

Sue