Author Topic: Italian Research  (Read 81155 times)

Offline steve62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ITALIAN RESEARCH
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 11:53 BST (UK) »
sami,

Have written to the Archives for Campobasso with the info. Hopefully if there has been a mis-transcription, they will pick up on it.

Steve
Boaler/Bowler/Boler - UK/Canada/USA/Australia
Hamer - UK
Mendle - Russia/UK
Goldstein - Russia/UK
Mazorkoff - UK/USA
Kapatofsky - Russia/Uk/USA
La Camera - Italy

Offline steve62

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 13:05 BST (UK) »
crazywelshgal,

Cannot find an equivelant in Italian for "Juggins". 
Checked the site for Commonwealth War Graves Committee to see if he died/casualty in WWI/II.
Only two are:-
James Herbert Juggins (RN) d. 14/07/40 and George Douglas Juggins (RN) d. 07/05/41.
So I would say he did'nt die in the War.
Checked Ancestry / Familysearch and only one coming up is Reginald William Juggins b.1915 and died  1973 in Herefordshire.
If you get hold of one of the Birth certificates that mentions him, it should have his trade.
Do you have any info on your nan's mother?
Do you have your nan's marriage certificate as that would give father and trade.
Do you have any other documents that relate to him?
Sorry not been more helpful, but any scrap you can think of let me know whether it be Italy or the UK will try and help.

Steve
(modified.  Forgot the surname Juggins originally Breton or Cornish)
Hamer - UK
Mendle - Russia/UK
Goldstein - Russia/UK
Mazorkoff - UK/USA
La Camera - Italy

Offline reflector

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, we all have bad days l suppose but lets hope it leads to some good news,
thankyou
sandra
Travi
Clark London/Hertfordshire
Dilley London
Trout Devon
Wickert london/Germany
Rowe Devon/London

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 15:51 BST (UK) »
Campobasso is the capital of the Province of Campobasso, region of Molise.  There is no Castiglione di Caroviglio.
There is  a Castiglione part of the town of CAROVILLI in the province of Isernia, region of Molise.
Could be a mis-transcription in your records.  Where did you get the town from.
Please let me know and if it is as you say I will write to the Campobasso Archives and the Molise region Archives.  Btw. its not a problem for me, so don't worry.

Hi Steve:

I got the name of the town from my Dad and Uncle on a rare day when they were both happy to sit down together and talk about their family history. They knew very little about their Mother's family and I may have written things down incorrectly.

So it could very well be the town of CAROVILLI in the province of Isernia, region of Molise rather than Campobasso.

I really appreciate your efforts Steve, thanks again  :)

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline GingerVicky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 02 May 15 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi there,  my great great grandfather James whitehead worked in Italy in the 1800s.  He worked for a marine engineering company called Maudsley Field and son. One of his sons was born in palermo scilly.  I would love to find out more about what he did out there.  Are there any records that would tell me where they lived and what he did? Also I found a death record for a james whitehead in 1858 in Trieste which I kmow isn't near palermo but was wondering whether it was him as I know he died around that time. Do you have accessto that death record?  James was born in 1821 in Lambeth and was married to Mary. He had 5 children and also worked in spain.  Thanks in advance for any help.
Vicky

Offline Crazywelshgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 18:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you ever so much Steve for looking into this for me. We have my nana's birth certificate which has no father named and have just ordered her sisters to confirm if this is true name or if it is also blank for father.
I have come across the Reginald Juggins in Hereford from a previous search and he is a possible for us as there is a story involving their mother going to Hereford to be with said mystery man and being turned away. It's either him or the name is made up completely for some reason. Hunt for the truth goes on!

Really appreciate your efforts - pretty sure the Italian soldier story is all fabricated!

Offline steve62

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 21 May 15 07:11 BST (UK) »
UPDATE TO ALL REQUESTS
Have received one reply for "reflector".  Regards all others have sent reminders and still waiting for the info, so no one is forgotten. 

reflector:  Sandra received a reply from the Archives.  Suggested I write to  Diocese Records in Como.  Have done.  The Archives have no record of Francesco Travi b. 1858 as he born before the unification of Italy.  They have checked the military records they hold and no mention.  They say he may have served Military Service elswhere in Italy.  Let you know as soon as I hear anything.
As a matter of interest for your records have attached the letter and not translated as mentioned above the contents.

Steve
Hamer - UK
Mendle - Russia/UK
Goldstein - Russia/UK
Mazorkoff - UK/USA
La Camera - Italy

Offline reflector

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 22 May 15 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve, thanks for that but l wonder if Francesco came to UK to get out of military as  he would have been in his late teens early 20,s from the dates l have and could you explain what the unification of Italy was?

Sandra
Travi
Clark London/Hertfordshire
Dilley London
Trout Devon
Wickert london/Germany
Rowe Devon/London

Offline steve62

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 23 May 15 07:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,
Its possible he fled Italy so as not to do military service. But how the system worked before the Unification of Italy in regard to military service I don't know.
Now the various little kingdoms or realms in Italy became unified on the 17th. March 1861 into one country - Italy.   So when researching it is neccersary to write for Church records prior to that date.  Some records are held by the various regional State Archives.   Not all Church records are held at the Parrochial Archives, so it you need to write to an actual church.  Thats why Italian research is complicated and difficult at times.  After 1861 BMD are held at the various town registry offices.  Do they always reply to requests?  Sometimes and sometimes no.  There is very little that has been transcribed and put on the internet.  Familysearch is doing their best to transcribe records at the moment, but it will take a long time.   
Hope that puts you in the picture a bit better now.

Steve
Hamer - UK
Mendle - Russia/UK
Goldstein - Russia/UK
Mazorkoff - UK/USA
La Camera - Italy