Author Topic: Italian Research  (Read 101435 times)

Offline reflector

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ITALIAN RESEARCH
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 23 May 15 10:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Steve, l did not know about the Unification.
Travi
Clark London/Hertfordshire
Dilley London
Trout Devon
Wickert london/Germany
Rowe Devon/London

Offline steve62

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 10 June 15 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,
Just got a reply from the Diocese Records of Como, not good news I'm afraid.
All records prior to 1929 are held by the Church in question.  At the moment there are 338, but up until the mid 1800's there were 494.
Born in Como could mean the Town of Como or in the Province of Como.  Latter meaning there are more churches. 
The surname Travi can be found throughout the Province of Como.
They suggested I contact the "Archivo Storico Diocesano of Milan" as they may have some records.  I telephoned them and they have no records.
They also say the only way to find any records is to contact every Church. Obviously not knowing the actual town at least, that is going to be a very long drawn out process and take sometime.  It could end up unfruitful.

What would like me to do?

Steve
Boaler/Bowler/Boler - UK/Canada/USA/Australia
Hamer - UK
Mendle - Russia/UK
Goldstein - Russia/UK
Mazorkoff - UK/USA
Kapatofsky - Russia/Uk/USA
La Camera - Italy

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 13 June 15 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve:

Thank you for the kind offer.  My ancestors were Irish and English; I just started researching for a friend - I don't know where to begin when it comes to Italian records.

I do not yet have full details, but I hope to try to eventually find a marriage in Italy (I know - it's a big place)  :-[ for a Simone Gimelli and Mary/Maria Durarte/Duarte c1901.  My research is early, but there is a possibility that Simone was born in Genoa, possibly "Loano, Genoa".  Simone was born in 1878 and Mary/Maria was born c1878.  We don't yet know where in Italy Mary/Maria was born.

Would you be able to find their marriage without knowing the exact date, or without knowing any location?  Thank you for reading my post.  Any feedback would be very much appreciated; thank you.  Lisa

PS  Simone was also known as Samuel when he lived in the states.
     Update:  According to the California Death Index, Maria Durante was born in 1878.
     We are now wondering if his name might actually be Gimelli Simone.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline reflector

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 19 June 15 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve, thankyou so much but l think that is asking just to much to search that lot, at least we can assume he came from Como as it was only a guess putting the other factors together, we think Francesco may have left under a cloud as apart from him saying he came from there nothing was ever said or not passed down which was very unusual from an Italian, we have never been able to find my grandfather or his brothers birth in London as they were born before marriage of Francesco and Sarah ( even as it was 30 years after birthregistration came into force) and even Sarah was a puzzle but we finally found her not born in London as stated and her name was Matilda Sarah it had taken us 5 years to find her so l think Francesco is a brick wall l will have to sit behind. I do hope to come to Italy next year and go to Como just to see where he came from.
Thank you once again for all your hard work.
Sandra
Travi
Dilley London
Trout Devon
Wickert london/Germany
Rowe Devon/London

Offline reflector

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 19 June 15 15:36 BST (UK) »
Just another little note no other Travi came to UK and all those named Travi   in UK are from my Great Grandad so thats something !!!!!!!!!!
Thankyou
Sandra
Travi
Dilley London
Trout Devon
Wickert london/Germany
Rowe Devon/London

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 21 June 15 02:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve62,

I am trying to help a friend trace her ancestor, Luigi Guiseppe BERRETTI, who was born in Italy (possibly Pesaro) in 1856 to Gysonon and Letitia (nee GALONE?) Berretti.

He was the eldest child of six. His siblings were; Giuseppe, Cesare, Assumpta, Isola and Teresina.

Luigi emigrated to New Zealand about the 1870’s, married in 1888 and had several children.

Any help you can give would be appreciated as the family knows nothing about Luigi's life or family in Italy.

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline steve62

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 18 July 15 17:56 BST (UK) »
TO ALL WAITING A REPLY FROM ME.

I am still waiting for replies after sending reminders and apologise.  I have not forgotten.  Now is Italian holidays, so more waiting!!
Some news which might help in the future.
There is a Petition and  Consultation for Italy to have a "Freedom of Information Act".  This should enhance the current law.  Hopefully it will make it easier to obtain records.  Time span? Have to wait and see. 

Steve
Boaler/Bowler/Boler - UK/Canada/USA/Australia
Hamer - UK
Mendle - Russia/UK
Goldstein - Russia/UK
Mazorkoff - UK/USA
Kapatofsky - Russia/Uk/USA
La Camera - Italy

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 20 July 15 03:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for keeping us posted Steve  :)

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 06:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you for letting us know, Steve.   :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)