Author Topic: Burial Holmesfield or Dronfield Samuel Hopkinson  (Read 3323 times)

Offline chfl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial Holmesfield or Dronfield Samuel Hopkinson
« on: Wednesday 19 November 14 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am trying to find a burial possibly in one of these 2 parishes of Samuel Hopkinson, post 1835,cant find him in 1841 he lived at Totley but I am advised burials may be there.
There may also be an earlier Samuel sometime between 1800 and 1840.
Ages would also be useful if they are shown
Chris
Fletcher, Wright, King, Bull, Bray,Mee, Quenby, Waldram  Leicestershire
Butler, Lewin, Thurman, Voce  Nottinghamshire
Jackson, Dunnicliff, Cook,White Derbyshire

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Burial Holmesfield or Dronfield Samuel Hopkinson
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 19:09 GMT (UK) »
What is the birthyear of the Samuel you can't find in 1841?  Who was his wife/children etc
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline chfl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 November 14 07:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole,
At the moment I am unsure, that is partly what I am trying to find out
For the background I have a Jonathan Hopkinson  for whom I have born at Beauchief or Dore, I have found him in 1841,51,61 and he seems to be son of a Samuel  and christened at Dore in 1772. I am trying to see if Samuel Hopkinson at Totley maybe his father or brother and ages would help me
Then I have found a lot about a Samuel (Or possibly 2,father and son) in old Totley records, Overseer in the era 1797- 1818, scythe maker, and inn keeper at The Cross Scythes overlapping previous dates and stops 1835.Apparently there is  new landlord at Cross Scythes from 1836 hence I wondered if he died about then .
It is a long span of years for Samuel father in1772, to have survived to 1835, hence again I wondered about the various Totley records referring to father and son.
I hope this expains a little
Chris

Offline carrefour

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 16:50 GMT (UK) »
I believe the parents of Jonathan Hopkinson were Samuel Hopkinson born abt 1728 and was buried at Beauchief Abbey on 19 Dec 1816 aged 88.  His wife was was probably Ann born abt 1733, buried 23 Oct 1814 aged 81 at Beauchief Abbey.  Am unable to trace their marriage at present.

Jonathan Hopkinson (my direct ancestor) was buried at Beauchief Abbey on 6th June 1862. 

The other Samuel Hopkinson you refer to was born abt 1766, so must be Samuel jnr. He is also buried at Beauchief Abbey (aged 67) 9 Feb 1833.

Hope this helps
Jeff

Offline chfl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jeff,
These Burials from Beauchief Abbey make the story clearer, and confirms the 2 Samuel Hopkinsons for me
The death in 1814 of the older one means that Totley records dates only confirm him as being Scythe Maker plus Overseer and the younger one as the Scythe Maker and Victualler at Cross Scythes.
It would be good to find a baptism of Samuel junior to see if he is son of Samuel senior....and hence brother of our Jonathan Hopkinson
There could also be 3rd generation of Samuel as the Cross Scythes is still listed as under the occupancy of a Samuel Hopkinson until 1835
Thanks again for your information
Chris

Offline carrefour

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,

Jonathan Hopkinson had an earlier marriage to Mary OGDEN on 17 Sep 1794 at Dronfield.  The marriage record states at that time he was a scythesmith from Beauchief.

I think I have the line back ok....but needs a lot of sorting of details from parish records kept at Derbyshire Records Office.  Unfortunately I don't live near there, so I may have got as far as I can at this stage.

Jeff

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 September 15 08:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

I too am trying to disentangle the Hopkinsons. Samuel seems reasonably sorted; Jonathon is giving me headaches!

Here's what I have:
Samuel H; scythemaker, landlord, possibly overseer of the poor (but I note that this could be his father). Died feb 16 1833 age 67.
Married 1. Jane who died Aug 8 1810 age 44. Children - Mary b 1799; John, died 1812 age 12; Joshua, b 1804, died in infancy (no date)
Married 2. Sarah; children Sarah 1815; James 1818; William 1822; James died July 30 1824 through an accident. Sarah died June 19 1824 age 44.

I don't have details of either of Samuel's wives, any idea?

I posted about Jonathon in another post last month; if anyone can give me definite details that would be great!
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)