Author Topic: stephen pilcher and elizabeth (arnold) pilcher of Kent  (Read 6799 times)

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
stephen pilcher and elizabeth (arnold) pilcher of Kent
« on: Thursday 02 October 14 04:16 BST (UK) »
hi , im cathie,i ve been looking up the pilcher side of my family,i dont know if they re connected to yours,but i have a sarah pilcher born 1828 in ringwould kent,daughter of stephen pilcher and elizabeth (arnold) pilcher,they both born 1798 in deal kent, i noticed that your surname was arnold too

i know that in the 1861 census stephen pilcher was a visitor at the home of forman kingsford arnold 60,so he would have been born about 1800,so i would imagine he would have been elizabeth (arnold) pilchers brother

elizabeths parents were james arnold and elizabeth harnet married in dover 1795...........cathie

Offline roipolloi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Re: gorham name
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 October 14 00:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathie

I am most interested in this family. I had no information about the marriage of Elizabeth Arnold, baptised 1798, parents James Arnold and Elizabeth Harnett. Her brother was Foreman Kingsford Arnold, bap 1800 in Deal, buried 1873 in Dover. I would be most interested in knowing more of her husband Stephen Pilcher, as there were a number of Pilchers interspersed within various families at this time. Am more than happy to share information
Arnold, Burville
Kent

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 October 14 03:21 BST (UK) »
hi again

my great grandfather stephen pilcher was the son,of the son ,of the stephen pilcher born 1798 in deal kent ,i dont know anything really about the 1798 stephen ,i do have this info from the 1841 census though
stephen pilcher age 40 and a labourer
elizabeth pilcher (arnold) age 40
sarah pilcher age 13
henry pilcher ahe 11
james pilcher age 8
stephen pilcher age 5
alfred pilcher age 2
john pilcher age 2 months
there were also 3 other children who had left home so were not on that census they were
elizabeth pilcher born 1821
george pilcher born 1826
william pilcher born 1823

on the 1861 census it has stephen pilcher born 1798 as a visitor at the home of foreman kingsford arnold age 60 and elizabeth arnold age 56,with son edward 19,this was in dover

stephen and elizabeth are both still alive in the 1881 census both then 83 and have their daughter ,now elizabeth white age 59 staying with them

stephen pilcher 1798 died in 1885 age 87,his wife was still alive in the 1891 census and died in 1895 so she was 97 when she died

,but his son stephen born 1836 joined the royal navy as a voluneer about 1853,he went over to ireland where he met and married a mary verling born  about 1836 from queenstown cork. he became a coastguard in 1866 ish

they married in 1858 and they had at 8 children,being

elizabeth born 1860 (elizabeth was stephens mothers name) died 1879 waterford
   stephen  born 1862 (my great grandfather + coastguard)     died 1918 portsmouth
   william     born 1866 (emigrated to canada or usa )
   sarah anne born 1868
   john      born 1870   (emigrated to canada or usa)
   bynah    born 1872   (emigrated to canada)
   henry james born 1875 died 1879 waterford
   margaret clara born 1877 (emigrated to canada or usa)

stephen pilcher born 1836 was a coastguard at dungarvan,tramone and helvic head all in waterford ireland,he died in 1898 and is buried with his wife in st mary s church,i went over there this summer and put some of my mums ashes on the grave,i have a photo of the grave,dont know if you can post photo s on here

hope this has been of interest..................cathie

Offline roipolloi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 October 14 06:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you Cathie, that's a lot of information and the picture comes through well.

I have incorporated it into all into my database.

If I was related to Elizabeth or Foreman Kingsford Arnold, then of course we would be distant cousins.

However I have never been able to confirm the link despite years of searching.

I have just sent off for the will of James Arnold, the grand father of Elizabeth, and I am hoping that might give me something

I don't  know a lot about Elizabeth Harnett but I have stuff about the Arnolds, who spent time at St Margaret's at Cliffe and surrounding villages. Her husband James Arnold was son of James and Margaret Kingsford. This Arnold family supposedly traces back to River and Guston and Alkham, and the Kingsfords from Hythe.

I tried to search for Stephen Pilcher on familysearch.org. Do you think he might be the one born in Eastry, son of Mary Petley?

If you want more information about anything, just ask

regards

Chris

Arnold, Burville
Kent

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 October 14 22:50 BST (UK) »
hi again

yes mary petley was stephen picher born 1797 s mum

most of my findings come from the census s and through that then looking up marrage and birth certificates
   i ve been mainly looking up just the pilcher side because its less confusing,than with all the name changes on the mothers sides,and also up to now i have 4 generations were the fathers are all called stephen
  i would though be very interested to hear your info about the arnolds side though, i think elizabeth also had a brother called william arnold born,baptised 1805 at st margaret at cliffe ,dover

look forwards to hearing more and just ask if you need anything more from me.....cathie

Offline roipolloi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 October 14 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathie
FYI I have attached a couple of trees relating to your Elizabeth Arnold

As you will see I do not have her having a brother William baptised in 1805 but rather one 10 years older who was buried in 1805.

Do not take all of material as gospel, although I think most of it is correct.

I have included only one child Mary Anne for Stephen Pilcher at this stage. Is she correct?

Chris
Arnold, Burville
Kent

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 October 14 00:29 BST (UK) »
hi again

i ve been looking into the things you ve shown me,i m not sure about a mary ann pilcher born apr 1819 ,that would have only been 2 months after stephen and elizabeth got married, would that have been usual in those days ??,i also cant find anything saying her mums maiden name and it says it on all the other childrens,so im not sure about her,i have already given the list of children have nt i ?

i ve been looking up thomas harnett too, have you seen the birth for a thomas harnett born 10/3/1727 in st lawence kent,its not that far away,it says his parents are henry and elizabeth harnett,does nt say the mothers maiden name

if this is he then the marrage to elizabeth wooden would be far too early,making him only 15 at that marrage date of 1742,also thats 22 years before elizabeth (arnold) harnett would have been born , i know i can be a right muddle head so please excuse if i ve left something obvious out lol

there is a marrage record ,well 2 actually for thomas harnett to elizabeth vincer,one 26/2/1759 folkston and another to elizabeth vincer but this time its 21/1/1759 in faversham,bit confusing ?, but this date would be more inline with the birth of elizabeth 5 years later ??

i ve also been in touch with some pilchers from america,the lady s grandad and my great grandad were brothers,so that has been interesting,she is sending me a cd of the family history that she has been doing since 1995,its from when stephen pilcher son of elizabeth (arnold) pilcher went over to ireland through the navy,i dont know whether this will interest you,but i ll pass on info if you want it,when i get it,she said it will probs take about 10 days

let me know what you think of the above

also could you tell me if the pilchers and lineage in kent are catholic or not,because i know all the church records are all c of e,but the pilchers in ireland,including stephen from kent all say catholic on them,so am a bit confused over that bit

hope to hear from you soon...........cathie x

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 October 14 15:34 BST (UK) »
Have just come across this thread and feel I can offer a couple of titbits.
There is no record of Stephen pilcher being baptised in Deal, though that doesn't mean to say he wasn't born there.
From the Parish records:
Baptised at St George's Church, Deal:
31/5/1795  William ARNOLE  s/o James & Elizabeth
21/1/1798  Elizabeth ARNOLE
  7/9/1800 Coleman Kingsford ARNOLD
Somewhere there is a mistranscription in Coleman/foreman. The name Foreman ARNOLD appears later in the 1800's married to Julia so I suspect that Coleman should read Foreman.
Hope this is of some small help

Regards

AJ

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 October 14 22:55 BST (UK) »
stephen pilcher born 1797 who married elizabeth arnold (arnole is a misinterpretation ) was born in eastry which is not far from deal ,they married in ripple 12/1/1819 which is in deal then lived in ringwould were they had 7 children then moved back to ripple were they had 2 more children,they are living in ripple in the 1841 census,reg district -eastry -sub reh district -deal

in the 1851 census they are living in popeshole district -eastry ,parish -deal
 thanks anyway .........cathie :)