Author Topic: stephen pilcher and elizabeth (arnold) pilcher of Kent  (Read 6795 times)

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Re: gorham name
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 October 14 23:02 BST (UK) »
hi again

just noticed that you said foreman kingsford was married to a julia,i have him down as married to elizabeth,according to the 1861 census ,he 60 which would have him being born 1800 if he had nt had his birthday that year and elizabeth age 56,also stephen pilcher (married to his sister also elizabeth  confusingly )  was a visitor at that address on day of census age 64 , so i think your julia is wrong ?? or am i missing something lol

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Cathy

Thanks for the reply and forgive me for butting into your thread. I have done a great deal of research into families local to the Deal area and though I might possibly be able to help.
Arnole is the old way of spelling Arnold. The present way of spelling came about in the early 1800's. Pope's Hole is in Deal. It used to be a chalk pit and when abandoned had cottages built in it, which seems to be the popular thing to do with disused chalk pit. Hoare Belisha, of beacon fame had a house built there, which is still standing.
Regarding Forema and Julia, this Foreman I don't think is yours as he had 2 children with Julia in 1879 and 1881. The one I have is Coleman born 1800 which I suspect should be Foreman but an earlier one, of course, though probably of the same family.

Regards

AJ

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 16:24 BST (UK) »
hi

i dont mind anyone butting in lol,any help is useful,i d seen the coleman kingsman for birth 1800,but i think that was a transcript error as on the 1861 census he s down as forman again

thanks for telling me about the popeshole bit,it all adds to paint the picture of the time,and if there s anything else you want to look into feel free ;) as im a novice at this and dont know any history about kent as i live in liverpool lol

thanks again....cathie

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: stephen pilcher and elizabeth (arnold) pilcher of Kent
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 May 15 16:15 BST (UK) »
im really stuck trying to find out more info on stephen pilcher born 1797 eastry kent ,i have now found a birth cert for a stephen pilcher ,mother mary petley born eastry 3 th sept 1797 and on it it says he was baseborn ,i know that means she was unmarried ,but was it usual for an unmarried mum to call her child after his father when not married to them ?

i dont know why i thought his fathers name was also stephen as now i can find no record of it ,im in such a muddle and through this have no chance of going further back on the pilcher side of my family tree ,any helpers PLEASE :(
thanks cathie

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 May 15 16:23 BST (UK) »
He was baptised Stephen Pilcher Petley, Pilcher being his middle name.  It was not uncommon for a child to have the fathers surname as a middle name when illegitimate.  Did his mother marry after he was born.  I assume he was brought up with surname as Pilcher though
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 24 May 15 17:29 BST (UK) »
hi again

yes my stephen pilcher born 1797 eastry was ,im not 100% sure this is him but if you say pilcher was his middle name and not his surname i dont know ,but its the only record for him i can find

why is it that marriage records in kent dont seem to have the parents names on ,i know my stephen deffo married elizabeth arnold in 1819 but on the records i ve seen it does nt have parents names ,im getting myself so confused ,its not even funny :/

thanks cathie x

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 24 May 15 17:40 BST (UK) »
Fathers names do not appear on English marriages until registration started in 1837.  It isn't just Kent where this information is missing.  Who were the witnesses to the marriage.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 May 15 20:21 BST (UK) »
there are 3 records on find my past but only the marriage banns has an original copy ,the other 2 are just type written and dont have that info on it ,why do you think he may have used pilcher as his surname on marriage and census records ??
thanks as always x

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 24 May 15 20:26 BST (UK) »
there is also a birth for a stephen pilcher to a benjamin and mary pilcher  but thats for 25 june 1797 at st marys dover not eastry ,how near is eastry to dover ,i dont know kent at all ??