Author Topic: McGrogan & Dewitt  (Read 4489 times)

Offline s58roads

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McGrogan & Dewitt
« on: Friday 21 November 14 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Family Search shows a Hugonem Mcgrogan marrying a Mariag Dewitt on 22 March 1795 at Roman Catholic, Boyle, Roscommon. The date and place of this marriage could fit with my known history of a Hugh  McGrogan and his wife Molly Davis my GGGGrandparents.
DEWITT does not appear to be a very common name in Ireland. Could this be a transcription problem?
Look forward to any guidance.
Mann, Forfar
Dalrymple, Closeburn
McPake, Carluke
Stormont, Forfar
Waterston, Forfar

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McGrogan & Dewitt
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 November 14 09:32 GMT (UK) »
It looks as though you've already attached this marriage on your family tree for Hugh McGrogan and Molly Davis  :-\
According to the tree your Hugh McGrogan was born "Ballyscullion Parish, Castledawson, Co. Londonderry" and if that is correct then the distance between Castledawson and Boyle would concern me far more than the bride's surname. Several other trees give Molly's maiden name as Davit.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline s58roads

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 November 14 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your comments.
Hugh McGrogan was in the military. According to his Militia Record (WO 119/33/186 Royal Hospital Kilmainham A9689 ) he was born in Ballyscullion Parish, Castledawson. Co. Londonderry. He enlisted in the Londonderry Militia in Aug. 1794, aged 19, and left in April 1816.
I understand that militia regiments were barred from serving in their own counties and were posted to other parts of Ireland. eg in Aug 1795 the Londonderry Militia had moved on to
Limerick.
Ancestry.co.uk. Ireland, Catholic Parish Marriages & Banns, 1742- 1884 shows Hugonem McGrogan marrying MARIAY DAVILL at Boyle on 22 March 1795. Yet another variation!
The only relevant original record image I have, GROS 629/00 0075, shows the parents of Margaret McPake as Hugh McGrogan (soldier) and Molly McGrogan maiden surname DAVIS or DAVIT( difficult to differentiate)
Mann, Forfar
Dalrymple, Closeburn
McPake, Carluke
Stormont, Forfar
Waterston, Forfar

Offline s58roads

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 November 14 11:50 GMT (UK) »
While pursuing this thread I have found a new record image which leads me now to dismiss DAVIS ie
GROS 644/03 0747, shows the parents of John McGroggan as Hugh McGroggan(Chelsea Pensioner) and Mary McGroggan m. s. DIVETT. The informants on both these records have  made their mark "X" so appear to be illiterate, hence the DAVIT/DIVETT.
Mann, Forfar
Dalrymple, Closeburn
McPake, Carluke
Stormont, Forfar
Waterston, Forfar

Offline s58roads

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 12:34 BST (UK) »
NLI Registers now show the original record of the marriage written in Latin.
 Boyle; County of Roscommon; Diocese of Elphin, Marriages Feb 1795 to Apr 1795.
Specifically, 22 March 1795 Hugonem McGrogan & Mariag Davitt
Can anyone tell me please the name and location of the church where the marriage took place and the name of the priest who officiated?
Many thanks.
Geoff
Mann, Forfar
Dalrymple, Closeburn
McPake, Carluke
Stormont, Forfar
Waterston, Forfar

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 12:37 BST (UK) »
If you could post a link to the record you found it would save us from searching for the same information before we try to help.

Offline s58roads

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hi aghadowey,
 Hopefully this may be what you require:

registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633913#page/145/mode/1up
Thanks Geoff

Mann, Forfar
Dalrymple, Closeburn
McPake, Carluke
Stormont, Forfar
Waterston, Forfar

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 16:02 BST (UK) »
Looks like the entry reads Ego Jacobus Parochas de Boyle in the entry below- with variation on that in other entries, including the one you are interested in- which I think say I Jacobus Priest [Father James] of Boyle?

This is a list of the records for Boyle Parish Church.
http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/fuses/rcparishmaps/index.cfm?fuseaction=showidrecords&CityCounty=Roscommon&parish=Boyle&churchid=548

Someone with local knowledge might be able to pinpoint the church (the present one is recent and googling suggests a previous one burned down).

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 17:34 BST (UK) »
It looks as though you've already attached this marriage on your family tree for Hugh McGrogan and Molly Davis  :-\
According to the tree your Hugh McGrogan was born "Ballyscullion Parish, Castledawson, Co. Londonderry" and if that is correct then the distance between Castledawson and Boyle would concern me far more than the bride's surname. Several other trees give Molly's maiden name as Davit.

Just wondering if Ballyscullion is misspelled in the register... it looks like Ballysquillan  Dios Derri.

http://www.elphindiocese.ie/parishes-ministries/parish-details/ shows the Parishes in Elphin Diocese.

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.