Author Topic: Abergavenny Lewis family - can't find in 1891  (Read 4281 times)

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Abergavenny Lewis family - can't find in 1891
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 November 14 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Think thats her - the original does look like Charlotte so not wrongly transcribed.  I never like the  ditto's that carry over from different dwellings and familys so the birth place could be incorrect.  The Mary A Lewis is an 1863 birth so possibly correct.

However I think the clincher is little William Martin.  He is shown as born 1890 in Ton Ystrad Glamorgan which is likely to be Ton -Pentre- Ystrad which is Pontypridd area.  Now there is a marriage for a Jane Lewis to a James Martin in Pontypridd in 1889 and on the 1891 census there is a wife Jane Martin born 1859 Abergavenny living with husband James in Pontypridd and with a son William Martin born 1890 Pontypridd.  I think William is included with both his mother & grandmother.

On the 1901 census Jane Martin has a son Jeremiah and a daughter Catherine

RayD
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A whole lot of yam-yam, a little bit Irish n Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 November 14 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank u so much Ray...I'd just come to that conclusion too! Great minds think alike!!! I think the grandson has been transcribed on the two censuses too because the marriage certainly matches for Catherine's daughter doesn't it.
(I actually found it by trawling through all the Lewis folk living in abergavenny lol) x
Thanks again guys...
...if you're up for it I can't find her sister ellen Carter in 1881 neither. (Ellen Carter, wife of james carter - have him and the kids but not ellen - birn about 1830 also in cork) x
Plimmer,Lees,Ward,Ellis,Childs,Lowbridge,Newbury,Bird,Miles,Collins,Hees,Jones,Dodd-Wolverhampton. Marsh-Dudley. Miles,Harris,Stroud -Drinkwater-Gloucester. Prosser,Carter,Kirby,Dundon-Abergavenny. Hees,Muller-Germany. Goodman - London. Primmer - Ashby de la zouch.

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 16:08 GMT (UK) »
I have Ellen on the 1861, 1871 and 1891 census with James and on the 1901 census (widow) living with her son Richard Dundon (from a first marriage to a Richard Dundon in 1846).  I think she died 1904 (there is a death for a Ellen Carter in Abergavenny in 1904, birth date given as about 1834).

In 1881 she may have been with one of her children - either Carters or Dundons.  Like you not found her yet.

Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A whole lot of yam-yam, a little bit Irish n Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 19:02 GMT (UK) »
I traced all her children in 1881 (ones from her first marriage too) and no good...ellen is my gggg nan x
Plimmer,Lees,Ward,Ellis,Childs,Lowbridge,Newbury,Bird,Miles,Collins,Hees,Jones,Dodd-Wolverhampton. Marsh-Dudley. Miles,Harris,Stroud -Drinkwater-Gloucester. Prosser,Carter,Kirby,Dundon-Abergavenny. Hees,Muller-Germany. Goodman - London. Primmer - Ashby de la zouch.