Author Topic: Graham Family Berwick on Tweed.  (Read 3534 times)

Offline elizabethh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Graham Family Berwick on Tweed.
« on: Sunday 23 November 14 11:27 GMT (UK) »
I am currently researching a branch of the family Graham.  I have a Thomas Graham born 1798 - this is from his death certificate 29/03/1874 stating age of death 76 years old.  He was the son of a John Graham and a Mary Tait.  However I did see a reference to another Thomas Graham in a Berwick on Tweed Gazette  approximaely 1809 who was aa Carter advertising a run south to Newcastle upon Tyne weekly.  I am hoping that this is a relative of John Graham and could give mea line to follow.  Could anyone give me any clues as how I may proceed.    Elizabeth

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Graham Family Berwick on Tweed.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 November 14 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Can you tell us more about your Thomas Graham? E.g. can you tell us where you got his parents' names from? If from a death certificate, this will be from outside the UK - do you know when he emigrated? Did he stay around long enough to be found in a census? Does the death cert say he was born in Berwick upon Tweed? What was his occupation and what were the names of his children? Do you know anything more about his father, e.g. Occupation?

Graham is a reasonably common name either side of the Border - did you have a particular reason for thinking that Thomas the carter might be related?

Hope you don't mind the questions but anything more you can provide will help.

To find info abt Thomas the carter you could have a look at historical trade directories
http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/cdm/landingpage/collection/p16445coll

Offline elizabethh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 November 14 19:23 GMT (UK) »
'My Thomas Graham' married a Christian Dickson Fair and had to my knowledge 3 children, John Thomas and Elizabeth, though I feel there were other children.  The oldest child was born in Gainslow Mill, baptised in Holy Trinity, Berwick , the second child born in Belford, Northumberland and the girl born in New Learmouth and baptised at Cornhill.  Thomas is recorded at Carham on the 1841 census and thereafter at Yetholm.
John is recorded on Thomas's death certificate as a Butcher.  I am clutching ,I suspect at straws, but the name Thomas taking into account the usual naming of children at that time, and a Berwick residency, seems to be a family name. It is carried on with John's children also and several families after.
Thank you for your reply     Elizabeth

Offline koisspots

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 19:16 BST (UK) »
elizabethh - have you found anything more over the last couple of years? I have a Thomas Graham from Berwick who is married to a Christina [unknown] from Carham. He is listed as a carter.

Maxwell Ancestry has the following transcription from the 1951 and 1861 respectively

Roxburghshire 1851

CountyName Roxburghshire Parish Name Yetholm Enumeration District 3Enumeration Page 20 Schedule 84 Town/Village Kirk Yetholm Notes onLocation Main Street, south side Current Map/Satellite Display Map OS6 inch Map (19th C) Display Map OS 25 inch Map (19th C) Display MapPrinter Friendly Version Previous Household Next Household

Name Other Name Relationship Condition Age Sex [Occupation] Birthplace 1841 1861 (Spouse Notes)
Thomas Graham Head Married 55 M Carter Berwick on Tweed Link
Christina Graham Wife Married 52 F Carters Wife Northumberland, Carham Link
Thomas Graham Son Unmarried 26 M Carter Northumberland, Belford Link Link(to marry Janet Proudfoot)
Elisabeth Graham Daughter Unmarried 20 F Farm Servt. Northumberland, Cornhill
John Graham Son Married 28 M Ag. Lab. Berwick, Paxton Link
Isabella Graham Daughter-in-Law Married 24 F Lab. Wife Roxburgh, Yetholm Link
John Graham Grand Son Unmarried 2 M Lab. Son Roxburgh, Yetholm Not AliveLink

County Name Roxburghshire
Parish Name Yetholm
Enumeration District 3
Enumeration Page 4
Schedule 23
Town/Village Kirk Yetholm
Rooms with Windows 2
Children at School 0
Notes on Location Main Street,north side
Current Map/Satellite DisplayMap OS 6 inch Map (19th C) Display Map OS 25 inch Map (19th C)Display Map Printer Friendly Version Previous Household NextHousehold

Name Other Name RelationshipCondition Age Sex Occupation Birthplace 1841 1851 Spouse Notes
Thomas Graham Head Married 63 M Carter England Link
Christian Graham Wife Married 58 F Roxburgh, Sprouston Link
http://www.maxwellancestry.com/census/61transcript.aspx?houseid=81103023

Offline elizabethh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 March 16 09:17 BST (UK) »
The Thomas you refer to is the Thomas of whom I already know, and have all the details you list.  The Thomas I am hoping to find is mentioned in a directory for Berwick and had the Newcastle to Yetholm carrier service, but of him I can find nothing else.
Thank you for your interest.    Elizabeth.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, this may have no relevance but the childrens' names follow the same pattern. The Elizabeth Graham on this tree married John Steavenson in 1746 (I have a record of the marriage licence) I also have copies of the wills of John and Ann Graham. I have struggled to find much info on the family, or the supposed link to Montrose family but am happy to share what I do have.
Christine
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline elizabethh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 16:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you Christine for this information and I think i need to try and find out more of this line.
One of my fathers cousins was convinced that our line was Graham of Montrose - any additional information you can give will be welcome.  Regards Elizabeth

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth
Here is the link for John Graham's will 1751. He is listed as a yeoman but bequeaths £300 to his daughter on her marriage or becoming 21, not an insignificant amount! The will of his widow Ann is also online via the same site though not as useful. I have been looking for a definite link on and off for about ten years now! The image I posted is part of a family tree found among old family papers. It was researched by Robert Henry Allen of Durham in the 1850's. I am fairly sure this man helped John Burke to research his series of books. I have been able to find records to support most of the information on it just not the Montrose link!
http://familyrecords.dur.ac.uk/nei/data/neisearch.php#x1754.Graham.1
Christine
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 14:58 BST (UK) »
Another Child possibly;

MARY Graham Baptised 31 Dec 1826, St Gregory the Great, Kirk Newton
Parents THOMAS/CHRISTIAN
Abode Paston
Fathers Occp Husbandman
(Source FreeREG)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)