Author Topic: Joseph Bell, Stationmaster, Sprouston  (Read 2977 times)

Offline MalcolmH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Bell, Stationmaster, Sprouston
« on: Sunday 23 November 14 15:20 GMT (UK) »
My 3XGreat-grandfather, Joseph Bell's employment was given as stationmaster on his son's marriage certificate in 1854.  The only reference I can find to a stationmaster of that name is from a death notification entry in the Newcastle Courant  --  "Fri. 29 January 1858.  At Sprouston, on 19th inst. Mr Joseph Bell, stationmaster, Sprouston and formerly farmer at Greensfield, nr. Alnwick "

The family did farm in Northumberland for many years prior to the 1850s, so this could be "my" Joseph Bell.  However it is a common name and I would be grateful if anyone could provide further information on this Joseph Bell.  e.g.  any entries in local newspapers; was he buried at or near Sprouston and if he was, possible cemeteries. Perhaps a Memorial Inscription?    Thank you.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Bell, Stationmaster, Sprouston
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 November 14 16:04 GMT (UK) »
What is the name of Joseph's son who married in 1854? Where was he born?  You might have to expand the research around Joseph's family to see whether it fits with the death entry you have found.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 November 14 17:04 GMT (UK) »
is it any help to know that the station at sprouston opened in 1849.
Mike

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 November 14 17:29 GMT (UK) »

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 November 14 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Scotlandspeople has a death in 1858 , Joseph Bell , Sprouston Roxburgh , born c1797.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 November 14 17:50 GMT (UK) »
On your previous thread you said that Joseph's son was Thomas Joseph Bell born 1832 in Alnwick, but you hadn't found him pre 1861

I wonder if this could be the family in 1851  living in Newcastle??? Father appears to be Joss - a B W Clerk -listed as male and married but transcribed as Lois

Lois (Joss) Bell    50 B W Clerk  b Ovingham, Northumberland
Margaret Bell 27
Bedtrex Bell 17
Isabel Bell    7
Thomas J Bell 19 b Edlingham
Joshua Bell 13 b Alnwick
Margaret Bell 78  Mother of Joss Annuitant

Kay

Edit -Sorry rereading your previous post you have this

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 November 14 05:14 GMT (UK) »
Joseph Bell's death in 1858 was registererd by a daughter Beatrix F Bell who appears to have married a Ralph Dickie in the Sprouston also in 1858   Mother listed as Margaret Bell on death cert which  could tie in with 1851 family in previous post.

In 1861 Beatrice Dickie is a visitor with the following family at Carham Station, Sprouston
Beatrice Readhead 86 Head
Ann Bell 60 Station Agent -b England - daughter of Beatrice Redhead
Beatrice Dickie    26 b England
Mary Bell Dickie    5
Margaret Bell Dickie 9 Mo

Family Search has a bapt for Beatrice Frances Bell with parents Joseph and Ann in Alnwick in 1834 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NRYW-VN5

Offline MalcolmH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 November 14 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your kindness in replying.  I do have a lot of information about the family back to about 1690 but I am trying to write this down to give to other family members and trying to fill in a little more detail and double-check what I believe to be "facts".  My problem is that there are lots of Bells and quite a few are named Joseph ( even my own grandfather was Joseph).  I had been able to progress the tree as Thomas Joseph ( son of Joseph) was living with his grandmother in  1841 and not his parents. 
 Kay99 --- I believe you are correct about Joseph in the 1861 census.  "Lois" threw me for a time but it is the correct family.  The information you have given me re. the family in Sprouston is pure gold for me. I am able to cross-reference it with other info. e.g. Joseph and Ann had a daughter, Beatrice Francis b. 1834 in Alnwick, where the family farmed.
Thank you all once again.