Author Topic: James Ferrier where are you?!  (Read 3216 times)

Offline Darren1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Ferrier where are you?!
« on: Sunday 23 November 14 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Could anyone help me with my research? I always believed that my two times great grandfather Peter Ferrier was illegitimate, however when I viewed his marriage certificate in 1874 his parents were doing as being married (although his father James Ferrier was deceased). Two years later on his mother's Euphemia Cameron death certificate in 1876 she is done as being single, Peter is the informant. I have not been able to find James' birth, death etc, all I know is he was deceased in 1874 and his occupation was a mason. I have been stuck on him for over ten years now!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: James Ferrier where are you?!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 November 14 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Darren

You are probably very correct in thinking that Peter's birth was illegitimate. Lots of people covered this up and were able to give the registrar what info they wanted at the time of their marriage, with no checks being made on the info given at that time.

What info do you you have on Peter and mother Euphemia Cameron so far? Census entries etc? What were Euphemia's details from her death reg: age, parents etc?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 November 14 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Just adding these entries, which I think may be Peter's census entries:

1841:
Euphemia Cameron 42 HLW
Peter Terrier 11
Address: North East Quarden Village Mattesay, Rattray, Perthshire

1851 and 1861:
A Peter Ferrier showing as a 14/23 yrs old farm labourer at Boglea Farm in Bendochy, Perthshire. Peter showing in both entries as being born in Blairgowrie, Perthshire. A Duncan Cameron, b. Kirkmichael, Perthshire c. 1803, is the farmer there (is he connected at all with Euphemia?).

Did he marry a Marjory Donaldson in 1874? https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY3J-9BW

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 November 14 19:53 GMT (UK) »
In 1841, there is a James Ferrier in Brechin. Have you looked at this before?:

Margaret Naiper 63
Jean Ferrier 25 Flax Yarn Winder
James Ferrier 30 mason
David Mitchell 4
Address: City Road, Brechin, Angus

Can't really see much more than this entry so far though  :-\ Likely this James too young maybe?

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 November 14 20:01 GMT (UK) »
This is the Will & testament entry for Boglea Farm/Duncan Cameron on SP:

CAMERON   DUNCAN. 4/11/1880, FARMER, BOGLEY, PARISH OF BENDOCHY, COUNTY OF PERTH, D. 19/10/1880 AT BOGLEY, TESTATE @ PERTH SHERIFF COURT    SC49/31/112

A massive 43 pages, available to view online.

Seeing that Peter is there, at Boglea Farm from his marriage up to at least 1891, and he called one of his sons, Duncan Cameron, I am thinking that Duncan may possibly have been his uncle, brother to Euphemia?

Monica

Offline Darren1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Are we related?
I have the information about Euphemia and Peter from the 1841 census, although Euphemia was 42 and Peter was 4. Peter went to work at Boglea, Bendochy and was listed in 1851 census working there. Euphemia is listed in 1861 and 1871 censuses (although not 1851), in both censuses she was 68 and 71 working as a flax weaver. She was baptized as 21.4.1798 in Kirkmichael, Perthshire as Euphan Cameron her parents were Peter Cameron and Margaret/ Katherine Robertson Euphemia died: 14.2.1876 in Alyth, Perthshire. Peter did marry Marjory Donaldson in 1874. It may be possible Duncan Cameron was related to Euphemia and Peter, as he was born in the same parish as Euphemia (Kirkmichael),  however his parents on his death certificate in 1880 in Boglea are different. Which makes me think he was an uncle or cousin of Euphemia. As for the 1841 census entry with a James Ferrier living in Brechin as a Mason it is possible although can not say for certain, if it is our James then he and Euphemia may of met at some point between 1837-1839. Hope this all helps and look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Darren

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Darren

Not connected to these lines of yours...just trying to help you now with searches  :)

Monica