Author Topic: Seeking birth of Cassells Cordner ***Completed thank you***  (Read 7858 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Seeking birth of Cassells Cordner ***Completed thank you***
« on: Sunday 23 November 14 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Cassells Cordner was a Presbyterian minister. In the 1901 census he was aged 17, born Armagh. Failed to find him in 1911 so far. He died in Belfast in 1955, aged 70. Yet I cannot find a birth record. Any ideas, anyone, please?

His brother Joseph, also a minister, died in Belfast in 1939. I can't find a birth for him either.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking birth of Cassells Cordner
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 November 14 20:07 GMT (UK) »
The Presbyterian Historical Society keep record of the careers of all their Ministers. So that may include place of birth, as well as where they studied. (Many Presbyterian Ministers took degrees in Scotland and so possibly that's where Rev Cordner may have been in 1911). Suggest you contact them:

http://www.presbyterianhistoryireland.com
Elwyn

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 November 14 20:16 GMT (UK) »
This might be him in 1911 in Lancashire:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWT8-26Y

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 November 14 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Glensman. I did look in the 1911 census official site, but it did not find him. I will take another look.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 November 14 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Rev. Cassel(l)s Cordner
Castlewellan Presbyterian Church- lic. Dromore 1918, ordained 5 Sept.1919, resigned 29 Jan.1931.
Cooke Centenary Presbyterian Church, Belfast-installed 29 Jan.1931, retired due to ill health 31 May 1948, died 30 Oct.1955

Rev. Joseph Cordner
Drumbo Presbyterian Church- lic. Dromore, "a Lurgan man," ordained 2 Aug.1911, resigned to go to Canada 17 Sept.1926.
Clifton St. Presbyterian Church, Belfast- "a Lurgan man who had been ordained in Drumbo and then served in two Canadian charges, in Hamilton Rd. Church, London, Ont. and St. Andrew's, Sherbrooke." Installed 15 May 1930 & there until he died 27 May 1939.
Clifton St. United- memorial window to him dedicated 10 Jan.1954

More to follow...
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 November 14 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Elwyn. I'll give that a go.

Still puzzled by the apparent absence of birth certificates for Cassels and his brother; have found both in at least one census and both claim to have been born in County Armagh. Ages in census suggest Joseph was born 1877/8 and Cassels 1883/4.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 November 14 20:55 GMT (UK) »
For reference- Cassells in 1901:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Kildare/Athy_East_Urban/Townparks/1432982

Joseph with sister in 1901:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Clifton/Rosevale_Street/962999

Cordner Cassells of 54 Sydenham Avenue Belfast presbyterian minister (retired) died 30 October 1955 Probate Belfast 29 March to Mary Margaret Cordner the widow. Effects £6105 16s. 9d.

Probate of the Will of Andrew Cordner late of Ballymagarrick, County Down, farmer, who died 23 December 1917 granted at Belfast to Jane Cordner, Ballymagarrick, County Down, spinster and Rev. Joseph Cordner, Drumbo, County Down, Presbyterian minister. Effects: £450 8s 7d.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Drumbo/Ballymagarrick/1238902
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Drumbo/Ballynagarrick/248047

Fits with 1911 Census entry:
St. Thomas' Church of England, Wigan:
Marriage: 1 Feb 1908 St Thomas, Wigan, Lancs.
Charles Reid - 32, Missionary, Bachelor, 18 George Street, Hindley
Martha Somers - 21, Spinster, 4 Dobbs Fold
  ...    Witness: Cassells Cordner; Lizzie Somers
http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Wigan/Wigan/stthomas/marriages_1905-1915.html

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 November 14 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Rev. Joseph Cordner gave birthplace as ___, Portadown in 1926 Canadian Passenger list. 1923 going to visit relatives in Canada and gave birthplace as Co.Armagh. Sept.1907 returning to Canada as a student.

Still trying to narrow down the townland in Portadown area.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 November 14 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Aghadowey. I have all that now, and a few more snippets including his marriage certificate (at the age of over 60) and Joseph's obituary from the Irish Times, but still no birth certificate :(

It's Cassells' wife Mary Margaret Macaulay who is my (distant) relative