Author Topic: Seeking birth of Cassells Cordner ***Completed thank you***  (Read 7868 times)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking birth of Cassells Cordner ***Completed thank you***
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 25 July 15 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   This may not be of any help but I have found a marriage of William Corner to Deborah CASTLES in Knocknamuckly Church of Ireland, Seagoe parish, Lurgan on 25 Sept 1855.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Sunnyhill

• RootsChat Member
  • From Dunmurry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 25 July 15 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   This may not be of any help but I have found a marriage of William Corner to Deborah CASTLES in Knocknamuckly Church of Ireland, Seagoe parish, Lurgan on 25 Sept 1855.

Regards

Thanks, I have that and her children but can't see how they might connect with Cassells Corner. The William Corner she married I have as Thomas b abt 1800

1 Thomas Corner
--------------------------------------------------
Birth:   c1800, Ireland

Spouse:   Mary Swennerton
Birth:   c1800

Children:   William (1820-1897)
   Ellen (1825-)
   Elizabeth (1830-)
   John (1830-1893)

1.1 William Corner
Birth:   c1820, Co. Armagh, Ireland?
Death:   7th January 1897
Christen:   10th February 1822?, Shankill Church of Ireland

13  children

Spouse:   Deborah Castles
Birth:   19 Jan 1825, Co. Armagh, Ireland
Death:   12 Feb 1900, Drumgask, Portadown
Father:   John Cassells  (1800-)
Mother:   Margaret (1805-)
Marriage:   27 Sep 1855, Knockamuckley C of I, Seagoe Parish

Children:   Ellener (1855-)
   Mary (1856-)
   Elizabeth (1857-1898)
   Thomas Bristow (1859-1945)
   Margaret  "Maggie" (1860-)
   Sarah Anne (1865-1947)
   William (1866-)
   Gilbert (1868-1941)
   Deborah (1869-1884)
   John

1.2 Ellen Corner
Birth:   c1825

Spouse:   William Gilbert
Birth:   c1820, Co Armagh?
Marriage:   14 Dec 1846,   Shankill Church Of Ireland

1.3 Elizabeth Corner
Birth:   c1830

Date of Marriage
5 Aug 1852
Groom Name
Joseph TURKINGTON
Bride Name
Elizabeth CORNER
Church
Ardmore Church of Ireland
Parish
Montiaghs
Civil District
Lurgan
County
Armagh

Spouse:    Joseph? Turkington
Father:   Oliver Turkington  (~1800-)
Marriage:   5 Aug 1852, Ardmore Church Of Ireland

Children:   Robert David (1866-)

1.4 John Corner
Death:   1893, Drumnamoe

Co. Armagh: Castles/Cassells, Turkington, McBride, Hanna, Boston, Abraham, Geddis, Gilkinson, Humphries, McCormick, Corner, Serplus
Co. Antrim: Cassells, Hayes, Campbell, Saulters, Abernethy, Crooks, Fryer, Stead, Cooper, Gardner, Montgomery, Hill, McCartney, McKeown, Sterrit, McIntyre, Orr
Co. Down: Hayes, Campbell, Nelson, Skelly, Pickering, Dixon, Taylor, Lowry, Gourley, Stewart
Co. Mayo: Layng, Fulton, Ruxton
Co. Kerry: Nash
Co. Dublin: Ruxton, Layng, Kelly, Wilson, Shea, Askin
Galway: Abbot

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 31 October 15 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian (and other correspondents)

I appreciate you've declared this post completed, but I was in the ScotlandsPeople Centre in Edinburgh a couple of weeks ago looking up some Dundee connected Nicoll family records and dug a wee bit deeper - as you do - into a Nicoll-Warner marriage which, in turn, led me to the Reverend Samuel Macaulay's youngest daughter Sheila Lyall Guthrie Macaulay.  I then found the Reverend Samuel's eldest daughter Mary Margaret married to Reverend Cassells Cordner. The record wan't available for download, but I did record the details for my own files:

Cassells Cordner married Mary Margaret Macaulay  at St Cuthberts Parish  Church, Edinburgh, Midlothian on 10 October 1946. Marriage after Banns according to the Forms of the Church of Scotland by Rev James Jordan Macaulay, B.A., D.D., Minister of Christ Church, Rathgar, Dublin, Eire. 

Cassells, Minister of the Presbyterian Church, aged 62 and resident at 12 Rosetta Park, Belfast.
Mary Margaret, Supervisor Addressograph Section, aged 48 and resident at 41 Bruntsfield Gardens, Edinburgh, Midlothian. His parents were James Cordner, Farmer (Deceased), and Mary McGinn (Deceased).

Witnesses were Thomas Cordner, Portadown [County Armagh, Northern Ireland] and Helen S. Rae, 41 Bruntsfield Gardens, Edinburgh.

Reverend Samuel and his wife Helen Scott Shiell had a third daughter Helen Scott Macaulay born on 6 January 1906 at The Manse, Tealing, Forfarshire - as were the other two daughters. She married Charles Kendall Hamlyn Rae, age 34, a Timber Agent, resident at 59 Forest Road, Edinburgh in September 1941. I have a wee bit more on them if you want it.

Hope this helps with your research?

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 31 October 15 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Chiad Fhear.

I do have all three marriages, and the deaths of all the six involved except Charles Kendall Hamlyn Rae. I also have births of five children of the Rev Graham Nicoll Warner and Sheila Lyall Guthrie Macaulay, though I have not yet searched for their marriages or deaths.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 31 October 15 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian

Like you I also have the birth details of the five" issue" of the Rev Graham and Sheila, but still have to "pursue" their marriages and deaths ... if that be the case.

Charles Rae was a son of William Hamlyn Rae and Anne Kennedy Robertson Dalrymple. William was a Church of Scotland Missionary and, as I'm led to believe from a Google search, went off to Australia where he died in Cowes, Victoria in 1944.

The Register of Death for Charles Kendal Hamlyn Rae isn't available for download yet, but I noted all the information when in Edinburgh. Here's his entry from my files.

CHARLES KENDAL HAMLYN RAE (WILLIAM HAMLYN) was born 18 Jul 1907, and died 23 Mar 1980 in Milesmark Hospital, Dunfermline, Fife.  He married HELEN SCOTT MACAULAY 20 Sep 1941 in 7 Cluny Avenue, Edinburgh, Midlothian, daughter of SAMUEL MACAULAY and HELEN SHIELL.  She was born 06 Jan 1906 in The Manse, Tealing, Parish of Tealing, Forfarshire, and died 29 Mar 2003 in Henderson House, 2 Link Road, Dalgety Bay, Fife.

More About CHARLES KENDAL HAMLYN RAE:
Cause of Death: Myocardial Infarction; Coronary Arteriosclerosis
Residence: Sep 1941, 59 Forest Road, Edinburgh, Midlothian
Residence (2): Mar 1980, The Cottage, Manse Street, Aberdour, Fife

More About HELEN SCOTT MACAULAY:
Cause of Death: Left Ventricular Failure
Residence: Apr 1941, 41 Bruntsfield Gardens, Edinburgh, Midlothian
Residence (2): Sep 1941, 68 Greenbank Court, Edinburgh, Midlothian

Marriage Notes for CHARLES RAE and HELEN MACAULAY:
Marriage after Banns according to the Forms of the Church of Scotland by Rev Adam Burnett, D.D., Minister of St Cuthberts Parish Church, Edinburgh.  Witnesses David C. H. Martin, Mt. Elna, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire and Margaret Macaulay, 19 Lask Road, Belfast.[/i]

I have a written record for Helen's death but we'll need to exchange emails if you'd like a copy.

I hope this helps you?

Chiad Fhear[/size]
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 31 October 15 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again. That's very useful.

I have seen Helen's death certificate so don't need a copy, thank you. I assume that neither Mary Margaret nor Helen had any family?

If I find anything on the Warners I'll PM you.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Sunnyhill

• RootsChat Member
  • From Dunmurry
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 01 November 15 02:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian

Like you I also have the birth details of the five" issue" of the Rev Graham and Sheila, but still have to "pursue" their marriages and deaths ... if that be the case.

Charles Rae was a son of William Hamlyn Rae and Anne Kennedy Robertson Dalrymple. William was a Church of Scotland Missionary and, as I'm led to believe from a Google search, went off to Australia where he died in Cowes, Victoria in 1944.

Chiad Fhear

That's spooky, I live in Cowes, Australia! I'll have a look for him in the cemetery.
 It would be interesting to know more on Cassells Cordner's parents to see if there is a link to the Cassells. Would Emerald Ancestors have info on the marriage of James Cordner and Mary McGinn?
Co. Armagh: Castles/Cassells, Turkington, McBride, Hanna, Boston, Abraham, Geddis, Gilkinson, Humphries, McCormick, Corner, Serplus
Co. Antrim: Cassells, Hayes, Campbell, Saulters, Abernethy, Crooks, Fryer, Stead, Cooper, Gardner, Montgomery, Hill, McCartney, McKeown, Sterrit, McIntyre, Orr
Co. Down: Hayes, Campbell, Nelson, Skelly, Pickering, Dixon, Taylor, Lowry, Gourley, Stewart
Co. Mayo: Layng, Fulton, Ruxton
Co. Kerry: Nash
Co. Dublin: Ruxton, Layng, Kelly, Wilson, Shea, Askin
Galway: Abbot

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 01 November 15 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sunnyhill

We may, or may not be on the right person here ... I "Googled" his full name and got a couple of "results" from Ancient Faces:

DEATH:
BORN : 1884
DIED : 1944 in Cowes, Australia at 60 years old.
SOURCE : Victoria Australia Death Records: 1836 - 1985

MARRIAGE:
SOURCE : Victoria Australia Marriage Records: 1836 - 1942
FAMILY : Annie Marie Steele Robertson (wife)

He may have remarried.  Who knows.

I tried a search on TROVE (the Australian Newspapers' Archive) but couldn't find anything for him.

I hope you can find a headstone for him! Good luck searching!

Chiad Fhear