Author Topic: MACHYNLLETH Richard Owen Police Officer 1846  (Read 2533 times)

Offline JGDavies

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MACHYNLLETH Richard Owen Police Officer 1846
« on: Sunday 23 November 14 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any info on Richard Owen, Police Officer (Constable) 1844 - 1846 especially where he lived.

In July 1843 there was a marriage at the Tabernacle Independent Chapel in Llanrhaiadr-ym-Mochnant of Richard Owen, Spiner [Spinner?]of Green, Newtown to Elizabeth Hughes.

Constable Thomas Jones, A Division, 2nd Section, residing at Machynlleth worked alongside Constable Richard Owen during 1844 - 1846.

22nd March 1846 Elizabeth's death was registered on the 27th by Richard Owen Police Officer  at Machynlleth

Headstone in Llangedwyn: ELIZABETH, wife of RICHD OWEN, Police Officer at Machynlleth, died March 22nd 1846 Aged 26.
Hughes - Llangedwyn, Llanfechain, Llanrhaiadr, Llansilin
Roberts - Llandisilio, Montgomeryshire
Davis - Caterham, Surrey
Mitchell - Windygates, Fife
Hayes - Radcliffe
Edwards - Llanyblodwell

Online chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MACHYNLLETH Richard Owen Police Officer 1846
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 January 15 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Just putting this link for anyone who has read this post and wondered why a reference to Constable Jones was included:

http://history.powys.org.uk/school1/machynlleth/constable.shtml

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried searching the Welsh Newspapers on line?. I've found several items in them about my great grandfather, who was a police officer in Montgomeryshire in the mid to late 1800's.

http://papuraunewyddcymru.llgc.org.uk/en/home?
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline JGDavies

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried searching the Welsh Newspapers on line?. I've found several items in them about my great grandfather, who was a police officer in Montgomeryshire in the mid to late 1800's.?
Hi,
Whilst I have looked with no result, I've not spent a great deal of time on on line searches such as this due to the somewhat repetitive nature of answers to search queries.

A Dyfed-Powys Police publication on Montgomeryshire Constabulary from 1840 states that in 1840 Machynlleth had one Constable though in 1843 Constables Richard Owen and Thomas Jones were operating in that area as recorded in PC Jones' log book which is quite detailed regarding his and at times, PC Owen's, activities.

As I'm looking for a crossover into PC Owen's home life I've had it in mind to visit the area (or otherwise gain access to parish registers) and, on the basis that either he and Elizabeth had children before her demise; or that he remarried and had children; look through relevant parish marriage and birth registers, say 1843 to 1853, for a Richard Owen/Owens, Occupation: Constable.
Hughes - Llangedwyn, Llanfechain, Llanrhaiadr, Llansilin
Roberts - Llandisilio, Montgomeryshire
Davis - Caterham, Surrey
Mitchell - Windygates, Fife
Hayes - Radcliffe
Edwards - Llanyblodwell