Author Topic: Edward Charles Smith Bn 1864.  (Read 1605 times)

Offline Georgee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Charles Smith Bn 1864.
« on: Monday 24 November 14 01:41 GMT (UK) »
I am endeavouring to trace Edward, but so far have found his marriage in Dingestow Parish, Monmouthshire County in 1904 ,to Jessie Louisa Williams bn.1877.  I also found him on the passenger list to New Zealand 1908.  I have been unable to find any of his siblings, children or parents, except for marriage witness of his father, Charles. Many thanks.
PS>
I almost forgot to add in, that I have found his death in Tauranga, New Zealand in 1944, along with his wife Jessie Louisa Smith, in Hamilton, New Zealand in 1941.  His wife Jessie emigrated in1907. Please correct me if you find  anything I have misinterpreted.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Charles Smith Bn 1864.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 November 14 06:23 GMT (UK) »
There is a reasonably well documented family tree on Ancestry that lists him as born on 9 Apr 1864 in Kinnell, Angus, Scotland with parents Charles Smith and Elizabeth Crockett Lowe.   

This Edward C's occupation is listed in 1891 census as a commission agent - does that tie in with his marriage cert?

Kay

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 November 14 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Was about to post about 2 possible marriage one in Warwickshire and one in Monmouthshire of two groups of people with same names, but just spotted that the Warkwickshire entry were Banns naming the wedding place as Panteg parish Monmouthshire
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline Georgee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 November 14 20:37 GMT (UK) »
thankyou. I shall check that out.  I hadnt been able to find that.  Can you tell me what Banns means. - thanks

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 November 14 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Here is the posted Banns

Warwickshire, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1910
Name:                           Edward Charles Smith
Spouse Name:                   Jessie Louisa William
Marriage or Bann Date:   3 Jul 1904
Event Type:                   Bann
Parish:                           Leamington Prior

Banns are an announcement in church of your intention to marry and a chance for anyone to put forward a reason why the marriage may not lawfully take place. Banns need to be read in the parish where each of you lives as well as the church in which you are to be married, if that is somewhere else.

The online tree that Kay99 mentions has Jessie Louise living at Panteg in 1901 (with her parents) although she was born and lived in Bilston, Staffordshire until 1891.  No idea why the banns were read in Leamington. The online tree has Edward Charles living in Angus Scotland (again with parents) until 1891 (no census for 1901).  However online trees have been known to be wrong.

RayD
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]