Author Topic: romany gypsy in cumbria 18th centuary  (Read 5004 times)

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
romany gypsy in cumbria 18th centuary
« on: Monday 24 November 14 13:57 GMT (UK) »
i have just found out through cumbria archive doing a search on my behalf that my 4 times grandfather was a romany gypsy he was a potter in catcoat and his wife was elizabeth , there son was william morrison 1775 baptised st mary carlisle how can i find more information on them any help would be appreciated

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: romany gypsy in cumbria 18th centuary
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 07:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi. First trace the family in census records. Obviously. Secondly look at the people around them. Romany surnames. Etc. occupation. Names marrying into the family. Selling pottery was a very old travellers trade. And morrison a old gypsy name. Romany gene's a good site. romany roots. There are lots. Give them a go. By the way 60% of British people have some romany blood. ?.Cushty bocht. Good luck.  Rob
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 08:44 GMT (UK) »
thank you , i have issac morrison 1775 batisim cumbria same place and day as william  being all his life a potter and his children carry on the trade apart from a few went into mason and fish seller in whitby , but his brother william 1775 baptisim cumbria was a husbandsman then labourer in later life his children being mason and miner , is this possable for a romany to go into being a husbandsman ? as im not convinced cumbria archive have williams correct parents

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 November 14 06:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi.  Sorry for the delay in getting back. Many romany people worked as fruit pickers. Hop./farm labour. Seasonaly. Hawking. Horse and general dealing. Along with tinker. Marine salvage. And lots of other work was done. The reason why gypsy folk are successful is the ability to adapt . Also name changes are common. For many reasons. If a gorgio. Man...non..gypsy.  wed a romany girl. He would sometimes take her surname. Easier for the children. To assimilate.  Also  names written by others changed  my g mother was given donawho. Donaho donaque.donerkey.? Not easy. But may help.  Try looking  for earthenware dealers. In winter  Nearly all travellers lived in house's at some time. Even hundreds of years ago.  And some just stayed. .Rob
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline Seaside Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 February 17 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Apologies if I have posted this before. I'm trying to find out more about my mother's side of the family. My great grandmother Annie Halsall (nee Hadwin) from Southport was supposed to have Romany links. Her mother was Jane Smith from Kendal born 1837 and her father was David Hadwin from Morecambe. Jane's father was James Smith an Ostler. The only family that I have found are a James Smith living in Milnthorpe in 1841. James is Ostler at The Cross Keys Inn ( I have newspaper cuttings on his death in 1845 to confirm this) His parents are John Smith, farmer from Haverflatts and Dorothy Bindloss. His wife is Jane Wilson whose father was John Wilson, a Clogger.
My great great grandparents Jane Smith and David Hadwin travelled from Kendal, through Morecambe and down towards Southport/ Liverpool. Annie met my great great grandfather Charles Halsall from Southport along the way and were married in Southport 1898. Charles was apparently a clown at a circus but I have nothing to prove that.
If anyone knows of the family or any Smiths/ Wilsons from Kendal I would be very grateful.

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 February 17 12:50 GMT (UK) »
sue stacey  i think you put this on the wrong thread this is a thread yes about romany gypsy but on the morrison family !! might be better if you started a new thread on what your looking for

Offline Seaside Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 February 17 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Apologies. Thanks will do.

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 February 17 14:12 GMT (UK) »
its ok iv done it myself befor !!! but if you start a new post rather thank on this one you will get a better responce

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 February 17 14:38 GMT (UK) »
sue stacey  i think you put this on the wrong thread this is a thread yes about romany gypsy but on the morrison family !! might be better if you started a new thread on what your looking for

New post started  ;D
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=765704.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk