Author Topic: KELLY/KILLALEA GALWAY & ENGLAND  (Read 2170 times)

Offline mbee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
KELLY/KILLALEA GALWAY & ENGLAND
« on: Monday 24 November 14 18:35 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to trace my Killalea ancestors back to Galway for years and come to a brick wall.  The first entry in England actually stated them as Kelly and not Killalea.  So I have started to search under Kelly.  I only know of Michael born around 1835 and sister Bridget born 1838 both in Galway.  The father JOhn was deceased in 1855 when Michael married.  I have just found RootsIreland and have found some Kellys where there is a Bridget of the right birth year and a Michael with a couple of years out.  As the father is John one would expect a sibling John and there is one with this John and the same mother Mary Spelman along with a couple of other siblings in Castlegar.  Could this be the ones I am searching for.  I have also searched for a death for the father John before 1855 and have found one in 1845 in Castlegar but unfortunately there is no informant name of spouse name.  Does anyone know if these records actually mirror the actual ones and why would there not be an informant.  As Kelly is a common name, what are the chances of these being the ones I am looking for, thanks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: KELLY/KILLALEA GALWAY & ENGLAND
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 November 14 20:11 GMT (UK) »
I have also searched for a death for the father John before 1855 and have found one in 1845 in Castlegar but unfortunately there is no informant name of spouse name.  Does anyone know if these records actually mirror the actual ones and why would there not be an informant.
Civil registration of deaths started in 1864. Earlier church records usually list name & date of burial.

As Kelly is a common name, what are the chances of these being the ones I am looking for
To find Irish ancestors you need to know where they lived- townland or parish not just the county. Not all church records from this period survive and of those that do not all are online. So, in answer to your question- the chances are slim and no way of proving or disproving without more known details.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!