Author Topic: Could these names suggest Isle of Man Links?  (Read 6332 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Could these names suggest Isle of Man Links?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 November 14 09:49 GMT (UK) »
The 1859 birth is on www.lancashirebmd.org.uk and shows mmn was also Wilson which could possibly suggest that child was illegitimate.

Are you working from a fathers name on his marriage cert?

What about earlier census entries as you only mention 1901/1911

Yes Carole,

I'm working from Father's info on William James Wilson's Marriage Cert.

I'm completely unable to find him anywhere before his Marriage in Swansea in 1893.

Romilly ::) ::)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 November 14 11:52 GMT (UK) »
So what was the fathers name and occupation given on the 1893 marriage cert?

IF - he was illegitimate, there is always the possibility that he was not born as Wilson but perhaps took a stepfathers surname if his mother married a Wilson.

What you also need to bear in mind is that failure to register a birth only became a fineable offence in 1874/75 so prior to that date there are thousands of unregistered births
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 November 14 13:26 GMT (UK) »

On his Marriage Cert he gives his Father as 'William Wilson (Deceased) Occupation: Mason'.

The problem is that there isn't a Mason called William Wilson with a son William in Manchester in 1861 or 1871.

I suspect that he was probably illegitimate, but I don't have a Mother's name.
He's fairly definite about having come from Manchester on the 1901 and 1911 though.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.