Author Topic: Help locating 4 burials please  (Read 3900 times)

Offline warpo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help locating 4 burials please
« on: Tuesday 25 November 14 00:51 GMT (UK) »
I have for the last couple of years been researching my family tree and have never found the final resting places of these 4 ancestors of mine. If and When I find them I will make a long journey to pay my respects.

My 2nd Great Grandfather was Moses Alexander Wilmore. His first wife was Frances Elizabeth Heathorn and his second wife was Emma Elizabeth Sanpher.

Moses (Or Alexander as he was known) was born in Brighton, Sussex in 1856 and died at Kings Lynn, Norfolk in 1944 aged 88.

His first wife Frances Elizabeth Heathorn was born at Guildford, Surrey in 1861 and died at Kings Lynn, Norfolk in 1911 aged 50. She died as Frances Elizabeth Wilmore.

His second wife Emma Elizabeth Sanpher was born at North Creake, Norfolk in 1886 and died at Kings Lynn, Norfolk in 1972 aged 86. She died as Emma Elizabeth Wilmore.

Last known address of Moses Alexander was at 6 All Saints Street, Kings Lynn, Norfolk in 1912 (U.K., City and County Directories, 1600s-1900s)

I have no knowledge of which (if any) of his wives Moses was buried with. I would appreciate any help you can give me in order to locate their graves. I wouldn't even mind if there is a cost involved.

Also, Moses' son Frederick Alexander Wilmore (My Great Grandfather) was born in 1881 at Kings Lynn, Norfolk. On the 9th July 1915, he went out on a fishing trawler in Grimsby and commited suicide. There is no grave here in Grimsby or Cleethorpes, Lincolnshire (his last address was 2 Saunders Street, Cleethorpes). His wife Ethel Wilmore nee Major, at the time of his death then went back to Kings Lynn with their three children (Audrey, Reginald and Alice) for approximately 3 years. So I am pressuming that he is buried in Kings Lynn near his parents as Ethel remarried in 1919 back in Grimsby, Lincolnshire and is now resting with her second husband Frank Whitney here in Grimsby Scartho Road Cemetery.

F A Wilmore is listed on the All Saints Church Roll of Honour stained glass window. Which is odd considering it was a Roll of Honour to the people who died in the war and my GG took suicide on a fishing voyage and nothing to do with the war.

Please, can anyone help me, my family history has gripped me emotionally and I feel the need to pay my respects. Does that sound idiotic?

Many thanks,
Dean
Hides; Wilmore; Whitney; Laughton; Lambley; Bampton; Cox; Kirk; Major; Heathorn; Bailiss

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help locating 4 burials please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dean

re FA Wilmore (from The Roll of Honour web site :- http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Norfolk/SouthLynnAllSaints.html

"Second Engineer, Mercantile Marine. Drowned off Grimsby 10/7/1915. Aged 30. Son of ex-Police Constable Wilmore. Husband of Ethel Wilmore, nee Major, of King's Lynn. Frederick had worked as a fireman with the M and G.N. Railway based at South Lynn. Later he transferred to Grimsby where he joined the company's electrical department. He enlisted in the army early in the war, but was discharged due to a problem knee and returned to his previous employment. On 6 July 1917 he signed on as second engineer on a fishing trawler. When the boat returned from its voyage he was reported missing."

As he was reported missing, presumably his body was not found so there will be no grave.

my family history has gripped me emotionally and I feel the need to pay my respects. Does that sound idiotic?
No!

Most online resources stop at 1901, but I notice that Kings Lynn Borough Council has a Genealogy Search Form on their web site http://www.west-norfolk.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=22333

regards
yokel

Offline warpo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Yokel, its the first three im targetting really. Frederick I guess im clutching at straws. But recently  i  spoke to the daughter of his eldest daughter who said she was always told that his body was recovered and subsequently buried. Though i can find no proof of this.
Hides; Wilmore; Whitney; Laughton; Lambley; Bampton; Cox; Kirk; Major; Heathorn; Bailiss

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Your Gt Grandfather was lost from the trawler YARMOUTH official number 108471, Port number GY334.
The prelimany report to the Register General of Shipping and Seamen gives cause of death as drowning by suicide. However the official Death at Sea Register gives no cause of death.
"Suicide" at sea was a catch all, no blame was apportioned to others and no compensatory payment or pension was made. It was a "tidy solution"
Given that, by the look of it, he was a relatively inexperienced seaman he could have been lost overboard.
I think you need to look at the vessels logbook to see if there any clues. You should be able to obtain via this form.
http://www.rmg.co.uk/researchers/library/crew-lists-agreements-and-official-logs-request-form

Incidentally both documents say he was born in Canterbury.

In conclusion. He would have no grave but the sea. Your emotions are understandable and are certainly not in any way idiotic.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 March 15 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Birth/baptism rather than death
Florence Elizabeth born 25 May 1882 bap 18 June 1882 St James Pockthorpe Norwich, father Moses Wilmore, Corporal 7th Princess Royal Dragoon Guards, Cavalry Barracks, mother Elizabeth.
Kings Lynn All Saints Church
Alfred Philip bap 25 April 1894 of Alexander and Frances Elizabeth Wilmore, 11 Carmelite Terrace Kings Lynn.
Buried 12 November 1895 age 18 months of Birdcage Walk. Kings Lynn.
Alfred Philip born 27 April 1896
Adelaide Violet born 13 May 1898, address Carmelite Terrace
Reginald William baptized 27 March 1889
Herbert Victor baptized 27 March 1889, address Albion Street
Earnest George baptized 13 January 1892
Arthur Charles baptized 13 January 1892 address Carmelite Terrace.

Offline warpo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 February 18 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Wow I had overlooked this post, thank you so much for clarrifying a few dates. Strange how we cant find Frederick Alexander Wilmores' baptism. You'd think maybe he didn't get baptised, but then would you think it be odd that all his brothers and sisters were baptised but him?

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 February 18 05:50 GMT (UK) »
Freebmd Frederick Alexander Wilmore' birth was registered Canterbury December quarter 1884
Volume 2a page 831.
New GRO index that gives mothers maiden name Volume 2a page 831 D Quarter Canterbury  plus mothers maiden name HEATHORN

Need to change counties and look for his baptism in Canterbury area.

ADDED the 1901 census Kings Lynn also has his birth as 1884 Canterbury

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 February 18 06:10 GMT (UK) »
On ancestry his sign up sheet re WWI

He signed up 31 August 1914 assigned to the Lincolnshire Regiment, discharged 30 November 1914
due to a torn cartilage in his knee

He was 29 years 334 days old when he signed up, 5' 71/2" tall, fresh complexion, light blue eyes, light brown hair and weighed 119 lbs.

Person to contact- wife Ethel Wilmore nee Major of 38 Checkers Street, Kings Lynn Norfolk
children
Audrey Lilian born 16/10 or 11month ink smudged 1910 Kings Lynn
Reginald Frederick Alexander born 2/1/1912 Kings Lynn
Alice Annie born 10/4/1914 Grimsby.

Offline warpo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 March 18 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Canterbury covers such a wide area, its knowing where to look as always.