Author Topic: Martha Rowland(s) b:1854 Danycoed, Walton East:: Married, Deceased or What?  (Read 2369 times)

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Martha Rowland(s) b:1854 Danycoed, Walton East:: Married, Deceased or What?
« on: Tuesday 25 November 14 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello searchers

I would appreciate a little help in tracing a Martha Rowland b:1854 (the family is sometimes transcribed as Rowlands with an 's')

I have her in the 1861 census at Danycoed, Walton East (RG9/ 4172) and the 1871 census also at Danycoed, Walton East (RG10/ 5537) but I haven't found her in subsequent censuses.

I have found no credible marriage links/ leads, nor have I found any credible death links/ leads.

I have also searched the on-line records of "Llysyfranchurch".

Has anyone else discovered the whereabouts of this person in later censuses?  or

Can anyone point me towards any other on-line Church/ Chapel resources in the Llys y Fran ~ Walton East area that might be of help.

Thank you, JohnG, Swansea.
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Rowland(s) b:1854 Danycoed, Walton East:: Married, Deceased or What?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Have you already ruled out the 1873 marriage in Haverfordwest -which was the RD for Walton East
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 00:51 GMT (UK) »
There is an 1881 entry for Martha Rowland b 1855 Pembrokeshire - unfortunately no specific birthplace but working in Cardiff?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Have you already ruled out the 1873 marriage in Haverfordwest -which was the RD for Walton East
Thank you Carol,

Ouch!  I had seen this entry but mentally discounted it without making an appropriate note.  My logic at the time being that none of the brothers & sisters had additional 'first' names when their births were registered and also that the name Morgan hadn't been seen in 'close connection' with the wider family.

That'll teach me!  Now I'll go back and take positive steps to see if a Martha Morgan pops-up anywhere else in the county.  If she isn't discounted then it'll be obtaining a M/cert and see who the parents were.

There is an 1881 entry for Martha Rowland b 1855 Pembrokeshire - unfortunately no specific birthplace but working in Cardiff?
And this one is another Ouch,  I'm aware of having seen a Rowlands somewhere down east of here, if I recall correctly the head of the household was a Ship's Broker and there was a visitor, being a minister of a 'Zion' chapel or church.  I know I've kept details here somewhere but at the moment my memory and/or my filing system has let e down!

I'll get back to you on both of these prompts for which I thank you.

Thank you, JohnG Swansea
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 January 15 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Carole and other readers,

Apologies for taking so long to get back with a closure.

Research on the wider Rowlands family was triggered some years ago as result of initially doing some "Blue Plaque Submission Research" on the composer of this piece of music which was also used on this occasion.  It is not clear how the submission is progressing, there were by all accounts a significant number of other submissions and a number of blue plaques have indeed been fixed to a number of buildings across Swansea, but my follow-up enquiries have produced little response.

Anyway, I discovered that the composer William (Penfro1) Rowlands (b: 1860, Walton East) spent his whole teaching career at Pentrepoeth School, Morriston, Swansea, he was the 'Precentor' of two Morriston Chapels, he married a local (Morriston) lass2, some of the houses they lived in at the time of various censuses, still stand today.  As far as I can see, they had one son William Hudson3 and no grandchildren, the family grave is in Morriston Cemetery.

I have tracked backwards and looked at William's brothers and sisters for whom I have identified, with the exception of Martha, their marriages, offspring and deaths with reasonable confidence, subject to audit and confirmation or challenge by others.  It would have looked tidier if I could have completed my investigation of Martha, however I have sufficieint information for my original purposes and am returning to other closer to home, family projects.

Whilst I have been alternately picking-up and parking this project another researcher has carried out and published a far more detailed family history of William Penfro Rowlands and the hymn tune Blaenwern, which can be found at: http://daibach-welldigger.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/the-best-known-revival-hymn-tune.html

I wish you all good research results and best wishes for 2015.
JohnG_Swansea.
1 An additional adopted name?  2 Marriage Certificate obtained.  3 Birth certificate obtained.