Author Topic: barclay family  (Read 6497 times)

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: barclay family
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ann & Monica,
     The 1841 Census you found is also on Anc**try. I was stumped on the names Elescie & Eliscil Tmivce! You must have found a better transcription than me! William's occupation on that Census is "County Police".
     Interesting his occupation on 1851 Census is "Labourer in Gardens" because I also found the following Census Returns. Maybe William didn't die when he wasn't with the rest of the family on 1861 Census.

1871 Census. 1 Apple Wynd, Montrose.
     William Barclay 68 Lodger, Gardener b Montrose.

1881 Census. Dorwards House of Refuge for Destitute, Montrose.
     William Barclay 78 Inmate, Gardener b Montrose.
     (The first name on the list is the Matron of the above Refuge so assume that's William's address)

1861 Census. Tillygreig, Udny Parish, Aberdeenshire. (Not sure about this one)
     William Barklay 50 Lodger, Ag Labourer b Montrose.

Couldn't find anything for 1891 but SP has a death for a William Barclay, 1881, Montrose.

1911 Census. Lasswade, Midlothian. Tried out some family names. The only match was with Primrose Barclay (Male) age 22. (Don't think there will be too many men with that name around!)

There is a marriage for a William Barclay & Jane Craw, 1836 in Aberdeen. Wonder if that is the same couple? (ScotlandsPeople)

Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Ah...so maybe Jane Craw/Crow was a second wife for William, given the birth dates of James and Maria/h?

Also may fit with the Janet Crow in the household in 1841 being born outside of the county of Angus?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lyndsey86

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for the responses of the Barclay Family. I popped into my local library today and found on 1861 census Maria 23 yrs, born 1838, Montrose, James Lyall 5 her son born 1856, 2 Murray Lane, Maria was a Bootbinder. I have a fair bit in my tree for the offspring of the Barclay Family and have a James Lyall Barclay born 1882, and his parents were David Barclay and Isabella Donaldson Greig, so that is where the Lyall comes from, Primrose which was also David's son married Isabella Pennycook. However David died 1919, Edinburgh and he was a Inmate at 89 Grassmarket, The Metropolation Lodging House, Edinburgh. On the 1911 census it was recorded he was a Inmate as well and married, I did look when I was in at Register House for Isabella Greig, for a death and on the 1911 census, she was a visitor on the 1901 census in Glasgow.

1871 census Jane Barclay 66 the head of the house born 1805, address 9 North Tay Street, Jane 28, Millworker, born 1843, James Lyall Grandson, 15, born 1856, Emma 5, b 1866 Grand daughter, Jessie 3, 1868, 3, also Grand Daughter.

I do appreciate all the help, and it is very interesting reading the responses.

Ann

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 22:05 GMT (UK) »
What was Jane Crow's marital status in the censuses and other info you have found? Could it be William Barclay who showed alive up to 1881 who was her husband?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lyndsey86

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 23:08 GMT (UK) »
I over looked that piece of information.

Ann

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ann,
     Primrose Barclay & Isabella Pennycook married 1907 at Lasswade, Midlothian. That MC should say whether Primrose's mother, Isabella, was deceased or not at the time of his marriage. Primrose Barclay died 1980 at Lasswade age 91yrs.
     Think I found the same 1901 Census as you. 76 Brown St, Glasgow.
     Janet Waddel     78 Annuitant b Ascot, Renfrew.
     Isabella Barclay 47 Visitor      b Tranent, Haddington. (Anc**try had Traveat, Haddington)

Regards,     Dod.

Offline lyndsey86

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 28 November 14 20:32 GMT (UK) »
I have all the above information, however did some searching on s/p website and downloaded a couple of birth certificates. Emma Barclay born 9/6/1865, Montrose, Mother Jane Barclay, Linen Factory Worker and James Lyall born 29/1/1856, Montrose, Fathers name James Lyall and Maria Barclay.

Ann

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 29 November 14 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Primrose Barclay (Male) age 22. (Don't think there will be too many men with that name around!)

Hmmm.

SP have 263 birth of males with given name Primrose between 1855 and 2013, and 128 baptisms ditto before 1855. Of course some of them will be middle names, but even so.

Not so much different from naming girls Cameron, Gordon, Douglas, Stewart, Nicholas etc.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 29 November 14 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello Forfarian,
     I know Primrose is a Scottish surname. I've come across it as a middle name at times but this is the first time I've found it used as a man's Christian name. By his choice too because as a 2yr old on 1891 Census he is named Duncan Primrose Barclay.
     Better be a bit more careful with my choice of words! ;)
               Regards,     Dod. (female)