Author Topic: Adam Forbes and Christian Cruickshank  (Read 8514 times)

Offline leemcm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Adam Forbes and Christian Cruickshank
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 December 14 12:30 GMT (UK) »
OK...just working through more censuses  :P

I think this is them in 1851, with Margaret with them:

Donald Stuart 52 b. Strathdon, aberdeen
Christina Stuart 29 b. Abernethy, inverness
Margaret Stuart 3 b. Old Marchar, Aberdeenshire
James Stuart 4 Months b. Abernethy, inverness
Address: Bualgorm, Abernethy and Kincardine, Inverness

So, likely Christina had Margaret before she married, or she was married to a Forbes before her marriage to Donald Stuart.

Just found that there are lots of lovely family trees on a/try for the Stuart line. You can access them if you have a subs to a/try or via a library link if you have one available. One tree here for example: http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/10596824/person/-579009729?ssrc=  or here http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/5264647/person/-214373673?ssrc= Nice photo there of Peter, who we think might be Margaret's half brother.

Monica

Hi

Thanks a lot for this information. Very helpful. Still can't find her birth record of death but this will get me a lot closer. Sadly I don't have access to those links  :'( I don't know if you can attach the pics etc...? If not, no worries. Your help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Offline leemcm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 May 19 11:29 BST (UK) »
All, I'm trying to find information on both ancestors and descendants of Adam Forbes (1822 - 1870) and Christian (Christina) Cruickshank (1823 - 1904). Christina died in Tomintoul, and I believe that she is my 3G Great Grandmother. I think I'm descended from one of her children, Margaret Forbes, but I'm finding it hard to find information because Margaret seems to have had several illegitimate children, and Christian appears to have remarried someone called Donald Stuart after Adam died and had children with him.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 May 19 12:25 BST (UK) »
Donald Stuart and Christian Cruickshank had four children born in the parish of Kirkmichael, Banffshire before Adam Forbes died: Robert Henry 1856; Alexander 1860; Peter 1863 and Christina 1870, and the census of 1861 includes several more (older) children whose baptisms are not in the surviving church registers. Therefore the Christian Cruickshank who was the wife of Donald Stuart was not the one who also married Adam Forbes.

If indeed there ever was such a marriage. Adam Forbes, aged 48, died in 1870 in Chapel of Garioch, Aberdeenshire, unmarried. There is a marriage of Adam Forbes to Helen Cruickshank in Chapel of Garioch in 1821, and their son Adam was baptised in Chapel of Garioch in 1822.

So it looks to me as if you need to start again with Margaret Forbes. What definite (i.e. backed up by original documents) information do you have about Margaret?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 May 19 12:47 BST (UK) »

So it looks to me as if you need to start again with Margaret Forbes. What definite (i.e. backed up by original documents) information do you have about Margaret?

Not to duplicate efforts here's a previous post from leemcm
Threads merged.
I could really use some help and advice to track down what happened to my 2G grandmother. Her name was Margaret Forbes, and was born around 1850
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 May 19 13:02 BST (UK) »
Lee, in your original thread you said you 'assumed' that Margaret Forbes was married at some point to John  McDonald. It is never safe to 'assume' anything. Have you looked for that marriage on Scotland's People?

I wonder why Margaret says in 1881 that she was born in Abernethy, but in 1891 and 1901 that she was born in Huntly?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline leemcm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 May 19 13:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies. So I have a birth record for Margaret, which records her birth and baptism in Huntly. I also have her marrying a John McDonald and then a death certificate for her in 1938. Interestingly, both her marriage and death certificates cite Christina as being her mother, but the marriage certificate has her father's name as Edward Forbes (presumably a mistake) and there is no father's name on her death certificate. Her death is registered by her daughter, Margaret Forbes.

I previously tried to find the birth details but drew a blank, hence my post from a few years ago. Because of all of the illegitimate children, the marriage dates and the various surnames, it's quite complicated to piece together! My great grandmother is Margaret's daughter, Jessie (also known as Janet) Forbes.

Offline leemcm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 May 19 13:27 BST (UK) »
Not to duplicate efforts here's a previous post from leemcm
Threads merged.

Lee, in your original thread you said you 'assumed' that Margaret Forbes was married at some point to John  McDonald. It is never safe to 'assume' anything. Have you looked for that marriage on Scotland's People?

Yes, that post was from a few years ago. I have the marriage certificate. Indeed because of the fact that Huntly and Abernethy have been quoted, I'm not sure if I'm mixing up people with the same or similar names. I've attached her marriage certificate. I know that she had a daughter called Christina McDonald, who was Jessie's half sister.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 26 May 19 14:07 BST (UK) »
Interesting. I wonder what happened to John McDonald.

Offline leemcm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 26 May 19 14:47 BST (UK) »
John doesn't show on the 1911 census and it states that Margaret is widowed. Trying to find a John McDonald would be like a needle in a haystack!