Author Topic: Arthur Barlow Slebech  (Read 9552 times)

Offline lefayre palmer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur Barlow Slebech
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 04 February 16 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Dear Joanne,
When browsing the web I found that you have had correspondence with my cousin Bronwyn in New Zealand. Bronwyn passed away some time last year. It was she who was corresponding with someone in America I believe, who had the diary/Bible I talked about. I have't been able to find my copy it was not in the Crowther/Barlow file.

I have quite a bit on Captain Moonlite and when I visited the grave I had the funniest sensation. suddenly the wife of our Gundagai guide threw her arms around me and held me very tightly. She sensed my reaction and when I questioned her as to why she had done it she said she had seen the reaction before. This was strange as Captain Moonlite was only remotely connected to me.
Don't believe everything you read in the Calderwood book, it is quite often way of the mark.
Captain Moonlite was first buried in Sydney but the people of Gundagai not believing Captain Moonlite as bad as his press had the body exhumed and reburied with great ceremony at Gundagai. The site is on the top of the hill under a magnificent old tree looking over the whole cemetery and into the distance.
I am in the throes of culling and reorganising my 60 odd years of research so am not at the moment very efficient with my filing. I have many folders and many filing cabinets with no more room to file so you perhaps can imagine the mess I am in.
My email is (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Lefayre

Offline lefayre palmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 18 April 16 00:41 BST (UK) »
Having now found that John Barlow of Lawrenny, Wales married twice at FLEET in London, the possibility of my Barlows being descendants of the first marriage to Jane Harrison in 1696 arises.
If Arthur Barlow who married an Ann is his son, and who named his eldest child Jane in 1731 and is father of Counsellor Arthur Barlow born 1735, then family writings and oral history falls into place.
Arthur's brother John born 1744 had two sons Arthur and Thomas Barlow. Would I be lucky enough to find any of their descendants.
Living in hope.
Lefayre Palmer

Offline Rbarlow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 27 February 23 21:04 GMT (UK) »
My name is Richard barlow.  I live in Wexford in Ireland . I  came across your posts by accident and its wonderful to get so much information about the barlow name. It is difficult to track back how we arrived in Ireland as most of the records were sadly destroyed in the 1800s. We have barlow headstones in our graveyard dating back to late 1700s. Arthur John richard and Walter are continuing names in the barlow clan to this day. This post is probably of no help to you but you never know
Many thanks Richard

Offline kevinb1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 04 July 23 21:08 BST (UK) »
I recently had the honour of seeing the crypts at St. Werburgh's - the Barlows have a vault to themselves deep within - not for the faint of heart if you wish to explore further..