Author Topic: Arthur Barlow Slebech  (Read 9510 times)

Offline lefayre palmer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Arthur Barlow Slebech
« on: Wednesday 26 November 14 06:23 GMT (UK) »
Arthur Barlow of Lawrenny, Slebech born 1708 is mentioned in his father's Will of 1716. Later he is mentioned in his mother's Will in 1732. Ann nee Owen his mother is by then married to the Hon. Thomas Cornwallis. Apart from this nothing is known of this Arthur. From letters and Bible entries Jane Barlow wife of Henry Monkton Herbert is said to be descended from an Arthur Barlow who came to Dublin prior to 1752, this is the date of her father Arthur Barlow a ironmonger/master's  birth, who married an Elizabeth Scott in Dublin in 1777. In a marriage announcement Arthur is given as son of Counsellor Barlow of Montgomery Street,Dublin. Recent finds align Jane's brother Arthur Craven Barlow of Saunderscourt and Mt. Anna Wexford with his neighbours the Le Hunte family who came from Slebech. A George Barlow of Slebech and a le Hunte married sisters Joan and Mary Lloyd.
My quest is to verify the ancestry of Jane Barlow's family.
In appreciation of the Pembroke Forum, Lefayre Palmer

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur Barlow Slebech
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 November 14 18:42 GMT (UK) »
I think the current lack of response may be due to difficulty tracing the will of 1716 you refer to.
I can find reference to it in the NLW "deeds" but not the detail.There is a will of 1693 for an Arthur Barlow of Pen-coed Lawrenny-do you know if he is related?There are certainly a lot of references to the people nominated in that will in the NLW "deeds",though it is a difficult read.
The situation in the  deeds is compounded by the number of variant spellings of "Lawrenny",and I have also found one that references a John Barlow Esq of Lawrenni and a John Barlow Esq. of Slebech in the same deed,that reads as if they are different people.
Turning to Ireland,irishgenealogy.ie has many records to consider,perhaps the most likely(?) a series of births at St John Dublin between 1731 and 1744 to an Arthur and Ann,including an Arthur and Jane.It is more difficult to confidently follow these through to a related record of certain identity,
such as Arthur Barlow,solicitor of Great Georges Street who died 1877 aged 78,and possibly a brother John died 1876 aged 84.
I have also found elsewhere baptismal records of both a John and an Arthur Barlow to a John and Mary Barlow in Wicklow in 1757 that may possibly relate to your other recent thread.

Regards
Roger

Offline lefayre palmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 November 14 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again Roger for your interest, your remarks are a great catalyst to send me back into old files. I have a copy of John Barlow's 1716 will from the National Archives. I feel I have transcribed it fairly accurately. He leaves L1,500 to his 2nd son Hugh and to his 3rd son Arthur -1708-then to 4th son Thomas 1,200. Thomas is an Army man and writes his will in 1737 with no mention of brother Arthur. Arthur is left L150 in his mother's 1732 will. Arthur of 1693 is an adventurer and did not marry he is from memory an uncle of 1708 Arthur might be great uncle.
I see you have cottoned onto the complexities of the Barlow family. Roger and William Barlow, sons of John Barlow and Christian Barley, were from Lancashire. Henry VIII granted them Slebech with Roger buying out William who became a Bishop or Archbishop. Of Roger's children George the eldest continued the Slebech line and William the youngest commenced the Lawrenny line. The Lawrenny line were protestant and the Slebech retained the old faith.
I am not confident the line from 1731 is correct. An archivist at the National Library in Dublin told us they were the ancestors of our counsellor Barlow but would not divulge how she came to that conclusion. It doesn't fit with the family story that Arthur Barlow came from Ireland with a 10 year old son. There were two Barlow lines in Dublin both having solicitors and clergy and living in the same streets, but as far as found not closely related although they both claim to have come from Wales.
I have a number of pedigrees including one registered at the College of Arms which ends with the line of Arthur 1708. Although his siblings have been traced there is no information about him any where birth death or marriage; the only evidence is in the Wills.  Best wishes Lefayre.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 November 14 23:14 GMT (UK) »
The burial of Arthur,solicitor,in 1877 is at St Werburgh.I will trace back "St.Werburgh" events to see if obvious family groups emerge,bearing in mind your caution of "different" families in the  same street.I note there are entries for both nos. 4 and 5 Great North Georges Street.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 November 14 16:29 GMT (UK) »
There is an article in the Waterford Mail of March 1824,re the case of "Stourgeon v Douglas",in which a Mr Barlow,a respectable solicitor of Great North George Street was due to give evidence re the handwriting of a testator,but might also have"derived a considerable interest under the will".
Mr Wallace,counsel for the plaintiff,Stourgeon appears to have made some remarks about him,and a "Counsellor Barlow,counsel to the defendant,and son to the Mr.Barlow referred to, declared evidence alluding to his father by Mr Wallace as "grossly false".Further words may have been exchanged.
There is a later reference to the these words of Mr.James Barlow,but also a reference to no action being taken against James Barlow for criminal information,which I interpret as the testimony relating to the handwriting,making James Barlow the name of both father and son,but I am not wholly confident in this.I will try to see if records for St. Werburgh/St George/Great North George Street reveal a consistent family.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 November 14 19:10 GMT (UK) »
There is a James Barlow,barrister at law(1792-1828),third son of James Barlow,late of North Great
Georges Street.Presumably,the father could be known as "Counsellor" also.The burial record that might fit him is in 1825(the year after the court case),at St Werburgh,which gives him as 77 years old i.e. 1748-1825.If Arthur,father of Jane is born c.1752, James senior could be a brother.I can't see obvious baptisms for these.If Arthur is given as son of Counsellor Barlow this would have to imply a previous generation with a barrister.Even in the absence of knowledge of earlier occupations,this Barlow family does not have a clear fit with the family of Arthur/Ann Barlow of St.John.They have an Arthur baptised 1735,who seems too young to be the father of James,unless he has a late baptism or the age of James senior is wrong.They do have a Jane(1831),so there is a hint of family tradition,but no more.

Regards
Roger

Offline lefayre palmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 November 14 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Dear Roger, thank you for your work on St. Werburgh. I have been looking at my old Barlow files and feel sure the people connected with St. Werburgh belong to the family of Sir James Barlow, Lord Mayor of Dublin. This family has as progenitor William Barlow who is possibly the William Barlow from Pembroke who was commissioned to take men to Ireland c1625. So it is not unrealistic to think the two Barlow lines connect back in Wales somehow. I am sorry I didn't get back to you earlier we had a daughter and her youngest son 24, with her husband, come to visit as Andrew, the grandson is going to Spain in a few days and will not be home for Christmas. After they left we had an electric storm. November storms can be rather nasty and one year I had my modem fried, fortunately our safety switch turned off our power resulting in no other losses. Neighbours lost their computer, television etc. Going through the files I am finding markings that now bear further investigation, but have to do other things that cannot wait.
The above search is on my paternal grandfather's line but now I have found that his wife has a line back to Elizabeth Barlow the sister of Roger Barlow of Slebech.  I am going to take an autosomnal DNA test to see if it reveals any worthwhile clues. We have had a YDNA test done on a male relative for Arthur Barlow's line which matches the line of the Barlows of Lancashire. Roger and Elizabeth Barlow are of Chorlton Hardy, Lancashire and trace back to the Barlows of Barlow Hall.
My head is whirling with so much information I shall have to be careful as a month after my 80th birthday I collapsed and found myself in hospital, nothing wrong was found, other than age, except for abnormal brain activity. Those who know me laughed even my G.P has been telling me I should slow down. The four doctors involved in the tests decided it was overload. This is just so you forgive me any lapses like the amount Arthur Barlow's mother left him was 50 pounds not 150. Ann Cornwallis formerly Barlow gave a moiety to her children other than Arthur and John, John was born after his father's death and the forthcoming child/twins were accounted for in his will 1716. The 50 pounds to Arthur was added almost as an afterthought so presumably some uncertainty about him existed then, perhaps he had been in Ireland for sometime and the family lost contact.
Just had a call from another grandson he will be calling by soon, so shall close. Lefayre

Offline lefayre palmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 December 15 23:20 GMT (UK) »
I think the current lack of response may be due to difficulty tracing the will of 1716 you refer to.
I can find reference to it in the NLW "deeds" but not the detail.There is a will of 1693 for an Arthur Barlow of Pen-coed Lawrenny-do you know if he is related?There are certainly a lot of references to the people nominated in that will in the NLW "deeds",though it is a difficult read.
The situation in the  deeds is compounded by the number of variant spellings of "Lawrenny",and I have also found one that references a John Barlow Esq of Lawrenni and a John Barlow Esq. of Slebech in the same deed,that reads as if they are different people.
Turning to Ireland,irishgenealogy.ie has many records to consider,perhaps the most likely(?) a series of births at St John Dublin between 1731 and 1744 to an Arthur and Ann,including an Arthur and Jane.It is more difficult to confidently follow these through to a related record of certain identity,
such as Arthur Barlow,solicitor of Great Georges Street who died 1877 aged 78,and possibly a brother John died 1876 aged 84.
I have also found elsewhere baptismal records of both a John and an Arthur Barlow to a John and Mary Barlow in Wicklow in 1757 that may possibly relate to your other recent thread.

Regards
Roger

Offline lefayre palmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 December 15 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Dear Roger, I think I may be on to something as I have found that the births you mention in this post between 17 31-35 at St. John Dublin seem to be our line.
I recently found that John Barlow who married Ann Owen married previously a Jane Harrison 1692, both being Clandestine marriages in London. Perhaps our Arthur is he who married an Ann and had children from 1731 the first being a Jane?
It is Boxing Day here and we are expecting visitors I shall get back to you with details.
Thanks for your previous help in the past.
Hope you had a lovely Christmas and will have a great 2016.
Lefayre Palmer