Author Topic: Do you have corkcutter ancestors?  (Read 124184 times)

Offline Irene B

• RootsChat Senior
  • My family tree is full of nuts
    • View Profile
Re: Do you have corkcutter ancestors?
« Reply #198 on: Thursday 27 August 15 07:26 BST (UK) »
If you are still collecting, there is George Stephenson of Hillgate, Gateshead a cork cutter on 1841 and 1851 census
Main, Rossiter, - Northumberland<br />Wibberley, Walwyn, Cadman, - Staffordshire<br />Saiger, Blackburn  - County Durham<br />

Offline Irene B

• RootsChat Senior
  • My family tree is full of nuts
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: Thursday 27 August 15 07:35 BST (UK) »
The corkcutter page is no longer in use (for family history), it is a real shame
Main, Rossiter, - Northumberland<br />Wibberley, Walwyn, Cadman, - Staffordshire<br />Saiger, Blackburn  - County Durham<br />

Offline Bea HC

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 11:45 BST (UK) »
I was doing some family research recently and came across a cork cutter.  Not knowing anything about them I did a search and came upon this site.  I have found 2 Cork Cutters in the same family.  John Orritt or Orrett born about 1796 in London appears as a Cork Cutter (Master) in 1851 in Gloucester.  His brother Charles born in 1802 appears in the 1851 census as a Cork Cutter in London employing 9 men. I don't know if these are on your list.

Offline Margot3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: Monday 11 July 16 08:26 BST (UK) »
Cheryl,
Any chance I can find out what you know in the database about my ancestors:  Terence McGuire born 1856, listed as a Cork Cutter, and Philip McGUIRE, cork cutter master (as of 1856).  I'd be especially interested in where they worked and when.

I'd also like to add 2 more to the database:
James McGuire, born 1838 Woolwich, cork keeper (in 1861 census) 
William McGuire, born 1845 London, cork cutter (in 1861 census)

FYI, these four are all from the same family: the father Philip and his 3 sons.   

Thanks.
Margot

Offline toddhallawell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: Sunday 04 September 16 06:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Cheryl,

My 4th great grandfather was a cork cutter.  Not sure if he owned the business or was a laborer.  I don't know much about him that I can authenticate.  He's on the outskirts of my research.  His name was John Hallawell.  (Census docs have him as Halliwell) His wife was named Ann. (possibly Taylor)  His son was a Druggist and went on to establish a very successful drug export business to Brazil.  So, John may have had money, hard to say.  The only document I can find with "Cork Cutter" in it was the marriage of his son Joseph to Mary Dugdale.  I've attached the file. 

I would love to know more about John Hallawell.  If you run across his name in your research, please let me know.  I can't find his grave, but I'm pretty sure I know where he died.  There is a house in the Lake District called "Kitty Crag" in Grasmere, Cumbria.  His grandson Harry Hallawell wrote that he lived and died at Kitty Crag.  I also have a photo of the family by the house including John taken in 1874.

Most of the Hallawell family centered around Manchester, Lancashire.  Liverpool and Wales has also been mentioned. 

Thank you, Todd Hallawell

Offline toddhallawell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: Sunday 04 September 16 06:28 BST (UK) »
Cheryl, I noticed that the file I sent wasn't legible.  Hope this one is better.  Todd

Offline Maravilla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: Saturday 17 September 16 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Cats,

I wonder if you are still searching for corkcutter ancestors as your message was posted some time ago, but the Lowmans were also my ancestors.  What I am particularly interested in finding out is about the time I believe John James Lowman and his wife spent in Malaga Spain, where I understand he ran the corkcutting business for a while. I believe that it would have been towards the end of the nineteenth century or the beginning of the twentieth century.  I would be most interested to hear of any information you might have about this.

Offline cats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: Saturday 25 August 18 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Maravilla, I haven't looked at this forum for quite some time - so apologies! It seems you have more info than I do .I can remember my Dad talking about his father(John William 1879-1919) and his grandfather(John James born 1851) going to Spain regularly to purchase cork and arrange for it to be shipped to London. It may well be that his father (John Henry born 1826) may have done the same. I didn't know anything about his wife Sarah going with John James nor any mention of Malaga. Where did you find this info-there may be other things about my family I haven't heard about and any help would be appreciated.
Regards from Cats

Offline Maravilla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Cats,
How lovely to have heard from you.  My great grandfather was also John James Lowman, so I guess that makes us second cousins.  My late mother was the daughter of Emily who would, I presume, have been your great aunt.  I never knew my grandmother as she died before I was born.  Sadly my mother also died fourteen years ago, but she mentioned several times about her grandparents having lived in Malaga with the corkcutting business and how her grandmother Sarah found the heat in Malaga very oppressive in the summer.  I am presuming that this would have been around 1900.  My mother was very interested in Spain probably because of this connection, visited the country several times and studied the language, as do I.  When I visited Malaga last year I enquired at the municipal offices to see if I could find out any more information but I am afraid I drew a blank because although I knew the name to search under they needed a street name, and all I knew was what my mother had said, namely that they lived in the dock area, which made sense if they were involved in exporting the cork.  Therefore, I was unfortunately unable to find out anything more and there is nothing in my mother's family papers about the time her grandparents were in Spain.   My mother was the youngest of nine children, all of whom are deceased, and I am doubtful whether anyone else in my branch of the family would have any more information.  I am afraid that this will probably not take you much further - but if you do find out anything more please let me know and I will do likewise.  In any event, I am pleased that we have made contact.  Best wishes, Maravilla