Author Topic: Copyright WW2 Photos  (Read 4699 times)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Copyright WW2 Photos
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 December 14 11:57 GMT (UK) »
If they are still alive, they'd be in their nineties, probably (my OH was a WW2 Spitfire pilot & he's 91)

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Syerston106

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandy

I know about these photos. They were taken at RAF Metheringham late 1943 / early 1944 when 106 Squadron was based there.

The one with the cartoons shows P/O Fred Mifflin killed on the Schweinfurt Op of 26/27 April 1944 and the others I know a bit about too if you'd like to message me.

I am interested in seeing your copies though because I think they will probably be better quality then the ones I have.

I am also interested in your late mother being a WAAF there.

Clive Smith (106 Squadron Researcher)

Offline SandyMcJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 April 18 15:06 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to Clive Smith (Syerston 106) for identifying the subjects of these photos. One of them is of Fred Mifflin and one shows him with some of his crew. The third shows pilot Vic Cole and his rear-gunner Malcolm Parkinson. All three photos appear to have been taken in January 1944 at RAF Metheringham following a raid on Magdeburg.

Sadly Mifflin and one of his crew were killed a few months later. The story of this and the astonishing bravery of his flight engineer Sgt Norman Jackson VC are told here http://aircrewremembered.com/mifflin-frederick-manuel.html.

Offline Coffeestall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 August 18 18:38 BST (UK) »
Dear Sandy

I am a volunteer at RAF Metheringham Airfield Museum and I am collating photographs and stories of the personnel who served at the airfield on 106 Squadron.
We would be delighted to look at your photographs and any information pertaining to your Mum and her time at RAF Metheringham - we are working on our archive collection currently and we would like to be able to add to our collection for safe keeping.

www.metheringhamairfieldmuseum.co.uk

We hope you will get in touch.

Kind regards

Volunteer at RAF Metheringham

Offline Coffeestall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 09:21 BST (UK) »
Dear Sandy

Re: 106 Squadron at RAF Metheringham.

I have sent you an email on Monday evening which I hope you have received.

Kind regards

Coffeestall