Author Topic: Jane Watt Gordon and Hugh McDonald , Portobello 1920-22  (Read 4174 times)

Offline Rayjamgor

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane Watt Gordon and Hugh McDonald , Portobello 1920-22
« on: Friday 28 November 14 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi there , i have  found my great aunt Jane moved to Portobello and married there in 1920 to Hugh McDonald but died in 1922 at 5 High Street . I have had lots of help on Gordons in the Glasgow board but Jane was elusive as only knew of her via a second cousin in New York and she says they had a kid before she died and all contact with the family was lost. Does the names resonate with anyone or where i could maybe narrow the search down . Coincidentally , Janes gran Barbara Clark moved there too and died there in 1917  with 2nd Husband James Clark and 2 other daughters Barbara who who married James Greenan and Annie married Joseph McIntyre also in Portobello . Too think i stayed in Portobello for the night in February not knowing i had ancestors there ;-) cheers Raymie
Gordon, Taylor , Little, Clark, McInnes/McGinnes ,Roch,Roche, Millar/Miller, Welsh,Walsh, Stewart, Kennedy, McDonald, Brown, McLachlan , Orr, McMillan, McDonagh, Middleton, Robertson, Livingstone, Duff, Hunter, McClean, Campbell, Brown ,Cummings ,Roy, Wade ,Smith , Kelly,Kennedy,McDonald.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Watt Gordon and Hugh McDonald , Portobello 1920-22
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 November 14 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi  :)

Just found this.....

can anyone please help me. im looking for my nans parents ancestors, i think they were call jane and hugh. i cannot find anything on the records. isabella jane mcdonald, born 9th july 1921, in portobello, edinburgh, scotland. jane watt gordon (her mother) died when isa was 3 years old. hugh mcdonald (her father) remarried. i have no information on anything after that. i have scottish relatives that i know nothing about. would love to find out something about them. i think that was her parents name. thankyou.
www.GenesReunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1233300

Monica 
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rayjamgor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 November 14 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Wowser :o You strike Gold again Monica . Took me ages digging certs out SP to get the info ive got, and within 15mins of posting you have me a contact . Have replied to the post on the board and PM her and see if i get a reply . 
Gordon, Taylor , Little, Clark, McInnes/McGinnes ,Roch,Roche, Millar/Miller, Welsh,Walsh, Stewart, Kennedy, McDonald, Brown, McLachlan , Orr, McMillan, McDonagh, Middleton, Robertson, Livingstone, Duff, Hunter, McClean, Campbell, Brown ,Cummings ,Roy, Wade ,Smith , Kelly,Kennedy,McDonald.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 November 14 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Fingers crossed for you  ;) She did say on the thread that she wasn't often on there, so in addition try sending her a PM as suggested on the site now too.

Monica

Added: Sorry,  :P see you have already sent her a PM from what you said.

Offline Rayjamgor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 November 14 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Just noticed she said Hugh remarried. He married Christina McDonald 1924 ,Hospital Maid ,Edinburgh Royal Infirmary (Must have lived at Hospital). She also talks in the tense of not being in Scotland and saying she has Scottish relatives she knows nowt about. Wonder if in the UK or abroad ?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 November 14 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Centaintly sounds at least as the person who posted on GR, 'Julie' is not in Scotland. Hope she sees your message.

An idea though. You need a subs I think to GR to send message on trees to other members? Apart from a tree ref for 'Julie' for an Isabella McDonald in 1921/Portobello, there are another two members who have that info too. An Elizabeth and a William who very likely will connect with Julie you would think... If you have a way of being able to reach tree owners there, maybe also consider sending them all messages that way?

Monica  :)

Offline Rayjamgor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 November 14 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Yeah im on GR ,sent they 2 persons a short message and hopefully  get a reply from one of them :-)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 November 14 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully one out three! Think lucky  ;)

Monica

Offline Rayjamgor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 December 14 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Got a reply from one of them , swapping info to make sure its the same person. Sent the link from Julie and hopefully she knows them . In Newport Gwent so still in the Uk .  :)