Author Topic: Elizabeth Illidge, born 1844 in Aston-by-Sutton  (Read 12926 times)

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Illidge, born 1844 in Aston-by-Sutton
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 17 January 15 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deirdre,
It's a bit difficult knowing which one to use with so many variations of a surname and I'm sure we all use a different method.
For myself, I stick with the surname most familiar to me and then record each variation that I find in the notes section of my tree.
It works for me but someone else may well know a better way.  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 17 January 15 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rolnora, think that's what I'll do, certainly for Elizabeth as she married as Illidge and her dad was baptised as John Illidge and his dad was Samuel Illidge. Maybe while they were in Aston-by-Sutton, Illidge was a known spelling - it does seem to be John moving around that has caused the variations  ;D
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 17 January 15 19:21 GMT (UK) »
My one-name study involves loads of name changes, but it's by no means uncommon. I have found the surname of my paternal ggg gf recorded eight different ways, none of which matches mine.

Most software can't cope with changes of name. Some don't even cope when a woman marries. It took me a while to find something which worked for me. Unfortunately The Master Genealogist has just been discontinued. It lets you record the many variations, with dates for each. You can select (and change) the "primary" one.

Keep looking around - virtually all the packages offer a "try before you buy".
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Online Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 17 January 15 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Andrew, think I have 8 variations of Illidge (Illidge, Ilage, Illage, Ilige, Hilige, Hilage, Hiliage, Hilditch)  :)

I've only got my tree on ancestry at the moment; have had trials of several software packages but none of them has jumped out at me so far!

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Orange66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 10 April 15 13:45 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I am pretty certain our trees have crossed. I have been researching the Hillidges/Illidges of Aston-by-Sutton. I have found Elizabeths birth record on Ancestry. The details are born Jan-Feb-March 1844. Runcorn Vol 19, Page 219. Although parents Ralph and Martha are Illidges, Elizabeth was registered as Hillidge. Hope this helps. I have a lot more info on the Illidges of Aston ...let me know if you get stuck, v happy to help.

Kind regards
Christine

Online Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 10 April 15 18:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine, and welcome to RootsChat.

I guess the families are linked but my Elizabeth was eventually discovered registered as Hildage, born 20 June 1843 in Dutton, parents John and Sarah (nee Yarwood).

Deirdre

Offline Orange66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 10 April 15 21:51 BST (UK) »
 :) Hi, thank you for the welcome, that's really nice. I'm sorry my suggestion didn't help. Dutton is just down the road from Aston so I suspect we may still have some connection. I have found the same person in my tree to have numerous spellings of Hillidge, Hildige, Hillage etc. My mum's family are now Hillidge's.

I've driven over to Aston today to have a look at the graves. The church is beautiful but many of the old gravestones have been removed or are so weathered they are unreadable. Still very much worth a visit.

Christine

Online Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 10 April 15 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine, the heading is a bit misleading but when I made the original post I believed she had been born in Aston; it was only later that I discovered she was born in Dutton. The rest of the family in aston seemed to spell the name as Illidge but I think her father travelled around the area before settling back in aston and this caused the variation in the spelling. Sadly Elizabeth died young and her daughter - my husband's ancestor - married and moved to south Wales so we have no actual connection to the area now.

Were all the Illidge / Hillidge families in Aston related? Not got access to my tree at the moment but just wondered if we are linked somehow. I think elizabeth's grandparents were Samuel and Elizabeth (Betty).

Deirdre

Offline Orange66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Saturday 11 April 15 10:11 BST (UK) »
Good Morning Deirdre,

Yes, I have Samuel Illidge (1792-1865) married to Elizabeth/Betty (nee Clark) in my tree. Joseph Illidge the younger brother of Samuel born 1795 and married to Elizabeth/Betty (nee Andrews) is my 3rd Great Grandfather. His son Thomas Hillidge (also spelled Hilditch) is my 2nd Great Grandfather. There are some Illidges in the Frodsham area too and I've found a link to them as well. I'm still working on the Hillidges at Aston so I'll let you know how I get on. Who was Elizabeth's father? So far I have John Illidge born 1813. Samuel married twice his second wife was Mary Hancock, they had a daughter Elizabeth too, but sadly she died only 2 weeks old followed by her mother Mary a week or so later.

I've found a couple of graves at Aston but I've not placed them in my tree yet.  I'll find out how I can upload photos to Rootschat and send some over to you.
Kindest regards
Christine