Author Topic: Family of James McCarthy and Honorah Fitzgerald  (Read 1763 times)

Offline brianoleary85

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family of James McCarthy and Honorah Fitzgerald
« on: Saturday 29 November 14 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Would love to make contact with the family of James McCarthy and Honorah Fitzgerald who were married in Ballintotis Chuch, Midleton, Cork, on 7 February 1869.

James McCarthy was a gardener living in Passage West (his father, also James McCarthy, was a bootmaker).

Honorah Fitzgerald was a clerk living in Midleton (her father, John Fitzgerald, was a mason).

They had at least five children together:
James McCarthy, location unknown, 1870.
Johanna McCarthy, possibly Carrigtwohill, 1871.
Mary McCarthy, Cobh (or Queenstown), 1873.
Ellen McCarthy, Cobh, 1874.
Honorah McCarthy, Cobh, 1876.

My connection is through their daughter Ellen / Helena McCarthy / Helena O'Leary who married an O'Leary and died in Cork City in 1948, so I would be very familiar with her branch of the family.

From census returns I see that James McCarthy and Honorah Fitzgerald's son James McCarthy (b 1870) continued living in Cobh and had a family there. He married Bridget Ronayne in Cobh in 1897. (Bridget Ronayne was the daughter of Jeremiah Ronayne and Elizabeth Bransfield).

In the 1901 Census they are living in West View, Cobh, and in the 1911 Census they are living in Ballyvoloon, Cobh. This James McCarthy was a stone mason at this time. Their known children were:

James McCarthy, born 1899, Cobh.
Elizabeth McCarthy, born ca. 1904, Cobh.
John McCarthy, born ca. 1906, Cobh.
Mary McCarthy, born ca. 1908, Cobh.
Johanna McCarthy, born ca. 1911, Cobh.

If any members of this family stumble across this posting, I'd love to hear from you!

Offline brianoleary85

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family of James McCarthy and Honorah Fitzgerald
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 20:20 BST (UK) »
Further to the above post, details from the birth certificates of the children of James McCarthy and Hanorah Fitzgerald:

James McCarthy, born 5th February 1870, Glenbrook (near Passage West)
Johanna McCarthy, born 24th May 1871, Rossmore (near Barry's Court Castle)
Mary McCarthy, born 17th February 1873, Ballymore (near Cobh)
Helena McCarthy, born 27th August 1874, Ballymore (near Cobh)
Honorah McCarthy, born 27th Februay 1876, Ballymore (near Cobh)