Author Topic: Gorivan/Goravin of Co Sligo  (Read 1952 times)

Offline nkn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Irish Ancestors: Ireland to Yonkers, NY
    • View Profile
Gorivan/Goravin of Co Sligo
« on: Sunday 30 November 14 00:03 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on two brothers who were born in County Sligo but immigrated to Yonkers NY prior to 1850.   

The surname is spelt many different ways.  Basically, take Gorivan and substitute (*) for each vowel.  G*R*V*N.  Most name variations start with "Go".

Patrick Gorivan, b.abt 1830, Co Sligo
John Gorivan, b.abt 1835, Co Sligo
Parents:  John Gorivan and Bridget Austin, birth dates and locations unknown.

Occupations:
Patrick:  livery stable owner
John: brick mason

Patrick married an Elizabeth, location and surname unknown.
John married a Margaret McGarrell in NY, who was born in Ireland, but location unknown.

I look forward to any comments you might have.

Thanks.

Neely, Dalton, Gallagher, Goravin, Walsh, Coughlin, Austin, Reid, Shanahan, Hoag, McGarrell, Hannigan, O'Brien, Donovan, and Muldowny.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline nkn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Irish Ancestors: Ireland to Yonkers, NY
    • View Profile
Re: Gorivan/Goravin of Co Sligo
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 00:50 GMT (UK) »
It was an interesting list of names that occasionally point to a specific area or townland.  But, unless I missed something, there is no exact correlation to a John Gorivan married to a Bridget Austin, with family members listed.  Yes, one or two Johns and/or Bridgets were listed, but either dates didn't match up or names of family members don't appear, so there is no way to match them up.
Neely, Dalton, Gallagher, Goravin, Walsh, Coughlin, Austin, Reid, Shanahan, Hoag, McGarrell, Hannigan, O'Brien, Donovan, and Muldowny.