Author Topic: Houses in Broadsea  (Read 13369 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Houses in Broadsea
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 26 March 15 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Austin

Your a/try tree is showing up as private here http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/pt/RequestTreeAccess.aspx?tid=5715105&pid=-1410130512

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Austin De Brou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 26 March 15 03:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,
Please feel free to request access. I keep it private to protect media, and other matters relating to family,(mostly from google!) but am quite happy to share access with fellow researchers. Particularly cousins  :)
warm regards,
Austin

Offline Austin De Brou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 26 March 15 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,
So I took advantage of the free searches available, on Scotland's People, of the 1865 Valuation Records. This encouraged me to buy the full images relevant to the principle street of Broadsea. I have transcribed the names of each person listed, the number of their house (1-77 including all the 'halves') and their Tee Names. Where Tee names are repeated, indicating familial connections I have coloured that row (This is a table) and where the names are suggestive of further connections then the colour selected is a shade off. For example, the Noble "Bood" and Noble "Young Bood" families are just one shade removed in my highlighting.
I have encountered some handwriting with which I struggled. It is unclear to me if one family Tee Name is Jume/June or Sime. In that instance I have written all options that seem likely, separated by a /
Similarly with Rox/Rose. One name I really struggled with is either Loy, Boy, Coy, or Goy. Sorry to not be immensely talented, or well-enough informed. If we can reach a consensus then I can update the transcription. I imagine it would be searchable.
Having said all that, I just hope that the attachment attaches successfully and may be of use/amusement to someone.
warm regards,
Austin

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 26 March 15 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Austin,
Many thanks for sharing this I'm sure many people will find it REALLY useful. Unfortunately, I don't have a subscription to an_stry so can't see your tree  :(

If you post a snip of the difficult handwriting I'm sure someone here can help with transcribing.

Monica, just had a look back at SP at the embarrassing number of death certificates I downloaded in 2009 for William Nobles before I found the husband of Ann Thain :-[  Hopefully, I've learned a lot since then....
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline Austin De Brou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 26 March 15 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen, I think I can send an invite to an email address for you. I'm aware of the sensitive nature of posting an email address, and would counsel against it, but are you able to message me via ancestry? You can sign up for free, I think, giving you a username. From there I can invite yo via a username. Alternately, if you locate me through facebook and PM me an email address, then I can send you an invite, and I guess that you could PM me through here too. Just occurred to me!
Best wishes,
Austin

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 26 March 15 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Austin, you are right...always clever to be careful with your data etc where it brings in details that are personal and relevant.

We have a Private Message service here on RC. This is the only way to exchange personal emails really. PMs work very much like any email system with an in/outbox. If you look under someone's avatar on the left, you will see a number of buttons. One of these is an envelope. Click on that and this will take you to the PM section. Or, click on someone's user name on the left and, amongst other things, you will see 'Send PM'.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Austin De Brou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 27 March 15 02:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Monica, Jen was already more conversant than I and sent me a message.
Further to the Valuation Records transcription I thought to take a look at wills of Broadsea folk from that period until 1925. The following attachment provides some additional insight into the fate of a handful of them.
I hope it assists someone.
Best wishes,
Austin

Offline Austin De Brou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 28 March 15 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Tee Names (also known as To-Names) have a history dating back until at least the 1790's as evidenced by the following account (attached). Note that some familiar Broadsea names will crop up. Again, I believe that this will assist a number of us.
By the by, if anyone else is searching for the Shankey/Shankie Noble branch, then seek me out. I have tales to tell!
Austin

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 10 April 15 21:09 BST (UK) »
In reply no.20, you said you were struggling with a tee name Jume/June or Sime. I note there is a Juno in your attachment.Could that be what it was?
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.