Author Topic: Houses in Broadsea  (Read 13368 times)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Houses in Broadsea
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 December 14 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Monica, "Bobbins" is probably his tee name.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank flst  :) Makes sense now. Not used to working with the t'names!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Numbers 3 and 5 Broadsea Road are on Google Maps street view.

Regards

Malky

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, Monica should have said about the 'tee' names they were new to me before the Nobles.  Must mention, at the Fraserburgh site Istrice first mentioned there's fab photograph of two women knitting at the shore line with boats in the background - downloaded and now framed on my wall!

Thanks Malky do you think that is 5 Broadsea of old?  On the 1881 census (only) the house is listed as 5 Noble Street, Broadsea - on other census it's just 5 Broadsea.

Jen

North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline Austin De Brou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 March 15 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi to Jen (and all others!)
I'm a descendant of George Noble "Bobbins" (He is my 4th G Grandfather.) through Jane, his daughter (Who married George Shankey Noble) and William Sim Noble (his grandson) all mentioned in George Bobbins Noble's will.
So we are distant cousins.
I am trying to work my way through the Noble family too.
Any help and advice, cross referencing, etc, is most welcome, and happily offered in return.
Best wishes,
Austin

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 March 15 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Austin and welcome to Rootschat,
George is my 4th (not 3rd!) Great grandfather and I'm descended from his son William who married Ann Thain in 1846. As you will be aware the Nobles and the Taylors of Broadsea have had considerable attention paid to them in genealogy circles.  I found the Taylor spreadsheet a useful starting point to get my head around the seemingly endless number of Nobles marrying Taylors.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jillian.malcolmson/taylor_spreadsheet.htm

This is my mother's maternal side and I've been pretty ruthless at keeping to the direct line only. No exploration of siblings etc...I've not gone any further back than the parents of George and his first wife Barbara Sim. Having said that happy to share anything of interest to you.

I'm pretty confident what I have is correct although the evidence I'm privy to pointing to the parents of Barbara Sim is pretty slim. All I have is her age and place of birth from the 51 census, and a witness from her son William's birth record in 1827. This lead me to a 1802 birth with parents William Sim and Rebecca Ritchie which may of course be totally erroneous  :)

Jen

Offline Austin De Brou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen,

I have located some great info on the Bobbins and Shankie Nobles. News articles, valuation records and other bits. Some of it helps to clear up potential mis-aligned lines, so to speak, and some opens other, more confusing, avenues...
I'm guessing that you are on ancestry. Is it permitted to link to a tree there? With that I can more easily share the info I have garnered thusfar.
One thing I loved, having begun to get to grips with tee-names (also written as to-names in one old book I found) was that the valuation records feature them which when scanning an official documentary record makes for moments of humour amidst the bureaucratically banal recording of information.
Best wishes,
Austin

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Austin,
I think it's permitted to post a link to a tree on Ancesstree...would love a moment of humour in this family.
Jen

Offline Austin De Brou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen,
Erm, not sure how to post a link to the tree, but if you search for either username 'stilbucket'
(without quotes) or for the tree name which is:- Being a true account of the various families of De Brou, Morrice, Kidd, Edwards, Noble and more
one of those options should bring it up. Of course we can correspond through there also and images I have uploaded/located are to be found there. I must admit I have yet to update all the humourous stuff, and must warn you that there are tragedies too.
warm regards,
Austin