Author Topic: Robert Munro, Sheriff Officer 'Foreign'  (Read 3238 times)

Offline maddymoss

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Robert Munro, Sheriff Officer 'Foreign'
« on: Sunday 30 November 14 17:16 GMT (UK) »
I’ve been searching for some time for information about a Robert Munro, wrongly transcribed as Morro in Scotland’s People.

Robert Munro married Catherine Donaldson in Alloa in 1817.

In the 1841 census Robert Munro and family, minus wife Catherine, are recorded living in the New Entry, Alloa.   Looking through old maps of Alloa, I have been unable to pinpoint the exact location of this place.

Again, in the 1841 census, Robert Munro’s occupation was a Sheriff Officer.  Curiously, his place of birth is recorded as ‘Foreign’ so this presents another bigger challenge.

I can’t find him in the 1851 census so will have to presume he died or moved elsewhere but would be grateful for any suggestions.

Jim

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Munro, Sheriff Officer 'Foreign'
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 November 14 19:11 GMT (UK) »
The Stirling Observer of Thursday 15th April 1847 reports on the trial the previous Thursday of Henry Ragg and Henry Martin for theft by housebreaking. Robert Munro, sheriff-officer, Alloa, gave evidence about the character of Ragg (transported for 10 years) as a habit and repute thief.

Offline maddymoss

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Munro, Sheriff Officer 'Foreign'
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 December 14 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi GR2,

Many thanks for that item of information.  Slow going but one more brick in the wall! 

Cheers,
Jim