Author Topic: Alexander MacDonald - Tacksman of Knocknageil  (Read 6921 times)

Offline Kevin Malley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander MacDonald - Tacksman of Knocknageil
« on: Sunday 30 November 14 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I recently discovered my 4x Great Grandfather Alexander's Will and in this he is described as a Tacksman. (date of death 25/7/1842)
Which has raised a few questions for myself
1 what is a Tacksman?
2 The value of the estate was £1237 was this substantial for the time?
3 It states the "value of the estate in Scotland" does this mean he had estates outside Scotland or is this just the language of the document?

Also have learned one of his sons Charles Grant MacDonald would later become a priest and apparently wrote a book called Moidart: Among the Clan Ranalds. Does anyone know anymore about this book or the man?
Malley, McCloskey, O'Donnell, Bresland, Dermidy, MacDonald, Lacey, Thornton, Quinn, Barret, Brogan, McCahill, Dempsey, Gallagher

Online GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander MacDonald - Tacksman of Knocknageil
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 November 14 22:45 GMT (UK) »
A tack is another word for a lease. He leases a farm/land.

It is difficult to comment on the size of the estate. It will include his savings, ready cash, clothing, furniture, farm stock, anything owed to him etc.

If he had any estate outside Scotland, it would have been mentioned. For tax purposes, they divided the estate into what was in Scotland and what was outwith Scotland.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 December 14 10:33 GMT (UK) »
There are a number of old to new money sites, including this on on the National Archives site http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/currency/results.asp#mid

If you haven't come across this site already, it is a must for the area of Moidart. www.moidart.org.uk/index.htm There are a number of reference to Father Charles MacDonald there.

My MacDonald/MacIsaace lines came from there.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 December 14 10:48 GMT (UK) »
The book can seemingly be purchased in paperback form from

http://www.clandonald.info/clandonaldpublications.html

Regards

Malky

Offline Kevin Malley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 December 14 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks folks for your help it is much appreciated.
Great to know what a Tacksman actually is, GR2.
Those links are very useful, Monica thanks. Apparently his estate was worth £55000 in todays money so think he done ok for the time.
And will definately be purchasing that book, Malky.
Being Scottish myself it is the first time while doing my family research i've felt a real connection to Scottish history as most of my heritage is Irish. Hopefully get further back, maybe book may help. :)

Regards
Kevin
Malley, McCloskey, O'Donnell, Bresland, Dermidy, MacDonald, Lacey, Thornton, Quinn, Barret, Brogan, McCahill, Dempsey, Gallagher

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 09:55 GMT (UK) »
From Wiki:

A tacksman (Scottish Gaelic: Fear-Taic, meaning "supporting man") was a land-holder of intermediate legal and social status in Scottish Highland society.

Although a tacksman generally paid a yearly rent for the land let to him (his "tack"), his tenure might last for several generations. He would often be related to his landlord, the free-holder, and might, for example, represent a cadet branch of the family of the clan chief. The tacksman in turn would let out his land to sub-tenants, but he might keep some in hand himself. Dr Johnson defined the class in this manner:

"Next in dignity to the laird is the Tacksman; a large taker or lease-holder of land, of which he keeps part as a domain in his own hand, and lets part to under-tenants. The tacksman is necessarily a man capable of securing to the laird the whole rent, and is commonly a collateral relation. These tacks, or subordinate possessions, were long considered as hereditary, and the occupant was distinguished by the name of the place at which he resided. He held a middle station, by which the highest and the lowest orders were connected. He paid rent and reverence to the laird, and received them from the tenants. This tenure still subsists, with its original operation, but not with its primitive stability".[1]

The three fundamental obligations traditionally imposed on tacksmen were grassum (a premium payable on entering into a lease), rental (either in kind, or in money, which was designated "tack-duty"), and the rendering of military service.[2]

Offline Kevin Malley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 21:24 GMT (UK) »
That is an interesting development that Alexander could be related to a clan chief .
What would be a good source for finding out who the Landlord was for Knocknageil at that time?
Thanks J11

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Can't help re finding out whether your ancestor was related to a clan chief -- sorry :(; but please do not be too quick to jump to this conclusion.  By this period, post the Jacobite rebellions and the crushing of the clan system, many tacksmen bore no relationship at all to the person from whom they leased land.  My tacksman gggreat-grandfather, for example, was born in Shropshire and became a tacksman when he moved to the Highlands and leased land there whilst working as a contractor on the construction of the Caledonian Canal, just a little before your ancestor's period.

CelticAnnie
PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada

Offline Kevin Malley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 December 14 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks,
Got the book through the post today, it is now a great addition to my family history.
In the book Father Charles MacDonald says his kin were part of the ClanRanald branch of the Clan and his ancestors fought at Culloden.
No hint of links to chiefs but still good to know.
It also said he was born in Millburn, Inverness which led me to discover his father Alexander (my 4x great grandfather) was a  co owner of Millburn Distillery with a James Rose. Hope to discover more about this?!
Thanks again all for input.